finally took a look at the broken 5-speed

After carrying around a transmission in the back of my truck because I'm not supposed to have car parts lying around the house, I opened it up today and seperated the aluminum case from the other stuff. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but the problem is still pretty obvious.

The one odd thing is that part of the toothless gear is still there. Shouldn't these have been lined up perfectly?

toothless.jpg

So, the case is apart and will be recycled soon. I'd rather it go to use if someone needs one to do some 4-speed to 5-speed voodoo stuff I've heard aobut.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The counter drive gear is just narrower than the main drive gear is all.

Your front case is for a Z series engine. You could use it to convert another L, LD or CA series FS5W71B to work on an Z series engine. That's about all. The front case of a five speed does not make a four speed into one.

I'm not sure about whether the detent failed. It was going along on the interstate just fine. After a loud clunk, it wasn't going just fine anymore. ;-)

The transmission doesn't really look as complicated as I'd expected. It even looks like it could be rebuilt.

Detent failure allowed you to shift into two gears at once?

Can't be in two gears at once trans would be locked up and you couldn't take off. Impossible when moving without severe grinding that you'd hear. Perhaps counter gear worn out and the gear lash is totally wrong and wore it out?