MY 76 B210 is a California GROSS POLLUTER

Nicholas7620

Now I'm waiting on the arrival of my rebuilt carburetor from a Florida company named NCI, National Carburetors Inc.  I've gotten a very good rebuilt from NCI and a GAS GUZZLER from NCI which helped me achieve GROSS POLLUTER status.

The NCI GAS GUZZLER dumped out 10 times the hydrocarbons allowed by Cali Smog Emission standards.  I wasn't surprised.  My gas mileage was a horrible 14 MPG.  I stopped driving my B210 as my daily driver.  I got the NCI GAS GUZZLER in May 2013.

CarbueretorPictures014_zps8526338a.jpg

My THREE Carburetors.  NCI GAS GUZZLER, GROSS POLLUTER is on the right.  NCI Good rebuilt is in the middle.  On the left is a Recarbco rebuilt, a company is Cali.  The Recarbco sucked also, barely passing smog.  The Recarbco started leaking gas intermittently down the carb throat.  Weird.

I never noticed this UNTIL today, but if you look at the MIDDLE CARBURETOR, you will notice there is NO SPRING  :w00t:  or assembly.  I wonder if the spring and side assembly vibrated OFF, rendering the middle carb dead.  The middle carb, my best carb, stopped being able to idle the engine in April 2013 and I got the NCI GAS GUZZLER in May 2013 and its been "SUCK CITY" with the mileage.  My truck became my daily driver.  I occasionally drove the B210 for fun, notwithstanding the horrible gas mileage.

CarbueretorPictures011_zps35da08ee.jpg

Carburetor Jet side up.

HEY DATZEN MIKE, I checked out the jets like you recommended.  I found the NCI GAS GUZZLER had a 104 primary and a 145 secondary.  The  good NCI rebuilt carb had a 102 primary and 145 secondary.  The Recarbco rebuilt had a 102 primary and the secondary jet had the number obliterated by surface scratches.

Hoping on getting the newly rebuilt carburetor tomorrow, even so I may not get to install the carb until Monday.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got notice from UPS that my fourth newly rebuilt carb is in Oakland, CA and delivery to Petaluma will be Monday July 14 by the end of day.  I will take detailed PICs of the newly rebuilt carb and post on RATSUN.

If I can get a decent idle, I will then drive my B210 to the Muffler shop and have my catalytic converter replaced with a new catalytic converter registered in the California DMV data base. Catalytic converters have to be registered and in the DMV Data Base or else it is an instant FAIL. :w00t:    New Law, I heard.   I'll try to find out why?  :confused:

Then I can attempt to pass smog emission standards at a test only station.

The latest law went into effect March 10th (or, at  least that's the last change).  What it requires is you either have a factory OEM cat (which of course are NLA) or an approved aftermarket one.  The list of approved cats was cut down big time in 2008, so ones that used to be allowed no longer are.  Basically it created a CA-only catalytic converter market.  The reason is to prevent folks from using fake cats.  (well, the conspiracy theorists say it's to make more money for the ARB).  In any case, you CAN theoretically pass if you have a prior-approved cat, as long as you can prove via paperwork that A) it was an approved cat when it was installed an B) you have to prove it was installed before Dec 31, 2008. 

• Like 1

The latest law went into effect March 10th (or, at  least that's the last change).  What it requires is you either have a factory OEM cat (which of course are NLA) or an approved aftermarket one.  The list of approved cats was cut down big time in 2008, so ones that used to be allowed no longer are.  Basically it created a CA-only catalytic converter market.  The reason is to prevent folks from using fake cats.  (well, the conspiracy theorists say it's to make more money for the ARB).  In any case, you CAN theoretically pass if you have a prior-approved cat, as long as you can prove via paperwork that A) it was an approved cat when it was installed an B) you have to prove it was installed before Dec 31, 2008. 

I believe the conspiracy theorists.   :thumbup:   Thanks for the reply.  I'll ask my muffler friend, Marc.  In the past, Marc told me Catalytic convertors were being stolen regularly.  I don't think its going to cost me anything.  I had the Cat installed in 2010 and the manufacturer is sending a replacement for no charge.  I'll see.

I got the new catalytic converter for free. Marc wasn't too sure why the new law was passed. The exhaust gases and minimal presence of emissions are the reason for the smog testing it shouldn't matter where you buy your catalytic convertor. If Datsunholic manufactures a Catalytic converter which reduces emissions more than a Cali catalytic converter, I should be able to buy it and install it, but under current smog laws, my B210 would get an immediate fail.

The politicians change smog laws in response to bribe pressure, political donations and favors from catalytic manufacturers in Cali. There will be another wave of new laws when more bribes, and larger donations arrive from out of state manufacturers of catalytic converters. Right now the in state manufactures have the politicians bought up with their wallet.

The quality of emissions have nothing to do with the current wave of smog laws on catalytic convertors. You can pass the emissions test, as I did, but fail because your catalytic converter is not in the DMV data base. What the heck, the emission are very good but a fail???

My newly rebuilt Carburetor from National Carburetors Inc. (NCI) Florida is on the right, I PASSED SMOG test with the NCI carb. :rofl:  :thumbup:  B)  :thumbup:  I was able to idle smoothly at 700 RPM with 10 degrees advance as required by Cali Smog Test.  

The carb on the left is also NCI and was the gross polluter.  The carb dumped gas into the engine, eleven times the amount allowed by Cali Smog Test.  My mileage was 14 MPG  :w00t:  :sick: , sickening.  My B210 stopped being my daily driver.  The idle was 1100 and I couldn't drop it any lower.  I leaned the choke four notches, still no help.  I'm sending the Gross Polluter Carb back to NCI, I have a lifetime warranty  :confused: I'm not sure if NCI will rebuild or tell me "no deal!".  It's totally up to NCI.  I will let you know!  Two out of Three rebuilt NCI carbs have been good.  :console:

Today I had a great drive to work in the B210.  The MPG was much better, the gas guage needle hasn't budged.  :thumbup:   Back to Daily Driver Status for the Datsun B210, my Datsun is very fun to drive.  :thumbup:

CarbPics019_zps1eadca31.jpg

The front view of NCI carbs, the new rebuild in on the right.  Notice the fuel intake on the new rebuild points to the right.  It should point to the left like the gross polluter/gas guzzler NCI carb on left.  It was an easy fix, total unthread and rethread of fuel intake.  The jet sizes were identical, 104 primary and 145 secondary.

CarbPics018_zps1d135116.jpg

The Choke side view of Carb, notice the "Servo Diaphragm of throttle opener" , the pipe is pointing away from carb when the pipe should be pointing towards the middle of carb like the bad NCI carb on left.  The fix was a little more involved, I had to remove a cotter pin, undo the attachment and rotate the "Servo Diaphragm of throttle opener" 180 degrees and reattach and reinsert cotter pin.  The "Servo Diaphragm of throttle opener" is also called "Diaphragm Assy., Throttle opener control system" outside the Datsun 76 B210 Shop Manual. 

CarbPics021_zps4dc95805.jpg

These are good OIC's of the engine side of the two carburetors, the idle screws are white coated.  Turn clockwise to reduce idle and counter clockwise to increase idle.  This idle screw worked with the new rebuild on the right and not so much with the rebuild on left.  The shop manual warns, :w00t:  "Do not attempt to screw the idle adjusting screw down completely.  Doing so could cause damage to tip which in turn will tend to cause malfunction."  :w00t:

CarbPics022_zps7b1ce3ae.jpg

• Like 1

Happy Ending, 76 Datsun B210 is NOT a Gross Polluter.

I learned many things removing the exhaust/intake manifold assembly and reinstallation.  If you have any questions send an e-mail.  Best,

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...