Scored a 1971 521

satcat808

Scored a 1971 521 from a local Auction it was repo job the guy still owed the bank money never paid so it got repo'd  truck is super solid no major rust.  Engine need some work but all the parts are there I think!!!  It will be a nice addition to my Datsun Family!!

photo14.jpg

photo23.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo41.jpg

photo32.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That one might be a bit more useful as a truck than your beautiful 320, you don't want to scratch that one at all.

Nice find  :thumbup:

Thanks Wayno yes this could be a lot more fun to drive and not worry about vs my 320 lol....

a2fd7a9c-e93b-431a-8b6a-85ba882b5852.jpg

• Like 4

Beautiful blue, I got ahold of a red 1971 521 last April. It's in rougher shape but overall not too bad, I've hit a few brick walls at the moment trying to work my way around them mechanically but I'm loving that blue.

Beautiful blue, I got ahold of a red 1971 521 last April. It's in rougher shape but overall not too bad, I've hit a few brick walls at the moment trying to work my way around them mechanically but I'm loving that blue.

Thanks!!! Yeah I haven't gotten into the engine yet I am hoping to get it running.  Unfortunately since it was a repo there are no keys as well so I am trying to get new keys cut.

Yup and L16,  I put a socket to to front crank bolt and no luck turning.  I don't what to apply to  much pressure in fear of snapping the bolt.

Thanks Wayno.....

I would just upgrade to an L20b myself, it has torque and will climb a steep hill in first slowly, while the L16 needs a run at steep hills and needs to keep it's RPMs up.

If the L16 is jammed/frozen, then take the balancer bolt off, you can really pull hard with a breaker bar, I have used a 3 foot long cheater bar on the breaker bar and did not break that bolt.

The L20b will basically bolt right in if you get the right year, if you do go this route(L20b), make sure you get the separate intake/exhaust type, and get it all, including the head pipe coming off the exhaust manifold all the way down below the torsion bar, that way you don't have to deal with that.

EDIT   Maybe I used the cheater bar on the diesel engines, not an L block, you can still pull fairly hard with a normal breaker bar.

Funnest car I ever owned was a 65 nova with a built 350 in it, and I am not talking about a weenie build, I am talking about a strip engine, and the two vehicles(nova and 521) weight about the same, it was fun to drive, nobody could touch me.

Just swap in a v8

Now I am not saying to put a V8 in a 521, but for me it would be a lot of fun to drive, as I know what to expect, like to let off the gas slowly when it is wet outside, otherwise the back end will be racing the front end to the finish line.

Just swap in a v8

LOL Bruddah Big.  

Yes, it is quite hard to find a good L20 block in Hawaii....  But as Wayno said just need to try....  I would love to put a V8 in it being that I am a chevy man myself....  Either way I will see if I can get this engine free and hopefully running if not,  I'll probably go Wayno's route and look for a L20B

B

Cuz used to have a guy in kailua who had one a long time ago, it was tubbed chevy 350 and he named it Mochi pounder.It was black,really nice truck.

Bruddah Big,

I haven't seen that one but with Recon and Safety Check cracking down on everyone if its younger than 1967 those mods won't past recon any more!!!!  Shitty the C&C are being such assholes about Recon now in Hawaii.

Mahalos