Why Do Buyers of Parts NOT Follow thru With The Sale?

angliagt

Was sorting through boxes in the garage,& came across one with a B210-

pedal box that was well-packed,& ready to ship to the "buyer",who "wanted" it,

but NEVER responded to my emails after that.

And there's a glovebox door,with the proper box to ship it in,to the person

that told me that he wanted to buy it.

Am I getting old,& trusting people at their word,or should I NOT trust anyone?

I come from an era when your word,or a handshake,was a "binding" agreement.

I guess that I need to "get with it",& trust nobody.Am I wrong?

- Doug   

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can only do so much. Have them send the cash first so they are invested in that part. If they pass on it well, it's still ready for shipment to the next guy. Many see something and simply get head over heels and upon sober reflection they find that they really a/ don't need it that bad or... b/ what a surprise, no money

i do not bother unless im paid, as soon as i am paid, time/situation permitting i go directly to the shipping office.

one time i was told "sending payment" waited 2 weeks than got another msg. being told they didn't need it any longer... 

sat around waiting trying to be the best i can on my end, pfffft no more 

• Like 1

But why aren't people considerate (sp) enought to 

let me know that they've changed tier mind,& can't pay?

that is just people 

sometimes no consideration for the other party 

I on the other hand if I tell you I will buy it consider it done 

it is the new generation of people who are its all about me 

I have names marked in sales books   do not sell to this person or charge double to this one etc 

I have spent time removing parts for a swap at a request only to have the person not show or return calls 

if that happens that person is on the black list and I will throw the part in the garbage before I will sell it to them 

dont worry carma is a bitch and always wins  

• Like 2

Yeah, if I say I'm gonna buy something I buy it. I was raised old school and taught that my word should be good and not able to be passed off as nothing. If I ever do sell stuff it's cash in hand before it gets shipped or handed over. That's how I expect people to deal with me

And I'm part of the give-me generation

• Like 1

Let me give you a hypothetical situation:  You go to NAPA looking for a clutch set for your car- it is X amount of dollars.  Then you go to Oreilly to research prices for a clutch set.  You find it is cheaper at Oreilly.  Will you go back to NAPA and inform them of your decision to go to Oreilly to buy the clutch there?  I am pretty sure almost 100% of us would not.  

-Octavio

• Like 1

Let me give you a hypothetical situation:  You go to NAPA looking for a clutch set for your car- it is X amount of dollars.  Then you go to Oreilly to research prices for a clutch set.  You find it is cheaper at Oreilly.  Will you go back to NAPA and inform them of your decision to go to Oreilly to buy the clutch there?  I am pretty sure almost 100% of us would not.  

-Octavio

Not comparable in the least.  More comparable would be to go to NAPA and have them special order a part for you and then not come back for it, but that's why businesses typically have you pay up front & no returns on special orders.

It's funny, lately I've talked to my wife about how inconsiderate people are these days.  I think there's just rampent inconsiderateness, which applies to people's buying/selling habits as well.  These are the people who are obnoxious/loud in public, don't use their turn signals, honk their horns at all hours when they pick people up or when locking their cars...the type that walk side-by-side on sidewalks and don't budge when you pass, forcing you into the street, stop in the middle of the road when picking up/dropping off people...the list goes on

• Like 1

Very astute.  And, I disagree.  It is not like the seller was special ordering a parts for the buyer then got flaked on.  The seller already had the part.  One thing that may help SELL your items is if you price them like you WANT to sell them.

If I made a deal to buy something but later changed my mind, (on hind sight too expensive after all, no money, got a better deal, family crisis, change of plans, w/e) I wouldn't necessarily feel obligated to buy it, but I sure as hell would feel awful not contacting the seller to explain. That would be a common enough courtesy. The seller likewise, should return the courtesy and agree. Disappointment on both sides should be equal and cancel out

If the seller gets all butt hurt about something that didn't happen maybe he was thinking of the money he didn't make on the sale and it's unsatisfied greed that's talking. Until both the seller and the buyer conclude their bargain and both are happy, it's up in the air and anything can upset it. This is to be expected.

What about sellers that change their minds about selling? Same thing I think. You should have the right to change your mind to buy OR to sell.  

• Like 2

Very astute.  And, I disagree.  It is not like the seller was special ordering a parts for the buyer then got flaked on.  The seller already had the part.  One thing that may help SELL your items is if you price them like you WANT to sell them.

Right, but the buyer did agree to purchase the part.  The seller at this point may be turning down other potential buyers and wasting their own time.  Maybe your time isn't valuable, but it's pretty valuable to others. 

• Like 1

No need for insults, YouAreMatt.  My time is as valuable as any one else's.  BUT, I cannot agree that EVERY buyer should contact the seller if they find a better deal.  Sorry, cannot agree to that.  None of us want to say no to a Datsun part, and most of us do not want to say goodbye to a Datsun part.  Just, don't expect anything until you see those funds in your PayPal account.  Anything else before this is 'up in the air,' as a wise man has said once in this thread.

I agree with both parties here since I have sent the courtesy messages, and NOT sent the courtesy messages.  I just think that not EVERY transaction should have the same rules or expectations.  

ILR!-Octavio

• Like 1

• I forgot to mention that I'd sent an email/PM to the "buyer", 

after a lot of time had passed,asking them if they were still'

interested - "Crickets" (NO response)

Are kids that irresponsible?

- Doug.

I once had a guy want me to package and ship the part to him and if it worked he would pay me 

I was supposed to do this because he had a facebook account and I could see who he was and that his word was good 

NO FRIGGIN WAY 

pay or no part, we agreed he could not buy my part 

I'm surprised by the people that want you to drive a car you're selling across a state so they can look at it....

"I'm not driving three hours so you can inspect it."

"Well, I guess you don't really want to sell it then."

"Guess not....." Click.

"ggzila",

I NEVER said that - I'm just bummed that I go through the empy boxes that

I have,find the one that's "just right",so I can save the "buyer" money on shipping.

Oh,& I also have a glove box door (with the proper box to ship it in),that I

got no further response,after TRYING to recontact the "buyer" ,who "needed" one.

What should I do? - Tell the "buyer" to send cash before I ship it,or what?

There've been a LOT of GREAT buyers here,who actually paid me,& got what they

were promised (I try & make sure that they're happy with their purchase).

PLEASE! - Treat others,as you'd like to be treated.

- Doug

You never said this?

Am I getting old,& trusting people at their word,or should I NOT trust anyone?

I come from an era when your word,or a handshake,was a "binding" agreement.

I guess that I need to "get with it",& trust nobody.Am I wrong?

- Doug