88 replies to this topic

#1 1975SOC

1975SOC

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cars:1975 Datsun 620 1952cc

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

I made the mistake of buying a "Weber" from weberdirect. I thought they still made Weber's but I guess the stopped making them as EFI was being introduced. I should've done the research first. Correct me if I'm wrong.

CAM00291_zpsc228e9d3.jpg

CAM00289_zps5ae58924.jpg

CAM00287_zpsbb601055.jpg

Should I return? Keep? I don't know what I should do

#2 JoeCool

JoeCool

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts
  • Cars:1980 Datsun 720... SOLD. Now own a 2002 Nissan Frontier XE. Crew cab, 4x4

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:53 PM

Why do you think that is not a Weber? What is fake about it? The casting and machining marks do look kind of rough though.I guess Weber started making things cheaply to cut costs?

By the way, Weber was bought out a few years ago. The last true Weber carbs are old ones. Mine is an old one from the early 80's, pulled it off a Chevy Luv at the junkyard. It has the Weber logo cast into it, and the overall finish is a lot smoother.

http://en.wikipedia....eber_carburetor

*"If it falls off, it doesn't matter!" Tom Magliozzi of Car Talk

#3 TENDRIL

TENDRIL

The Legend.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

it has a cool weber sticker...

Datsuns will 20 buck u to death

#4 Sealik

Sealik

BAD Doctor Doug!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts
  • Cars:Many.....720 4x4s. '69 510/ LZ23

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

That is a cheap knock off made in China....definitely not a genuine Redline Weber

#5 JoeCool

JoeCool

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts
  • Cars:1980 Datsun 720... SOLD. Now own a 2002 Nissan Frontier XE. Crew cab, 4x4

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:23 PM

That is a cheap knock off made in China....definitely not a genuine Redline Weber

Redline DOES NOT own or manufacture Weber carburetors. They only sell them. Get your facts straight.

• Weber North America: Importer and Official Distributor of Weber Carburetors for the North American Market.
  • Redline Weber: Large Distributor of Weber Carburetors, Kits, and Components.
  • Weber Carbs Direct: Distributor of Weber Carburetors, Weber Carb Conversion kits and Weber spare parts.
  • Weber Italy: Original Manufacturer.

#6 uberkevin

uberkevin

über güber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Cars:71 521 Datsun

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:25 PM

Goodness. ^

The only Dick that made my mouth water. Thank you sir.

Well. When I went to his place, I'd Usually end up getting more than one...

#7 TENDRIL

TENDRIL

The Legend.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:30 PM

The question here is does it work like a carb?

It obviously is a re-cast of the body I would only worry I the holes on the jets are off center or something like that

#8 TENDRIL

TENDRIL

The Legend.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

Or it's impossible to tune due to a casting defect,

The problem with returning things is most of the time you pay return shipping and a restocking fee...

#9 ggzilla

ggzilla

Road Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,058 posts
  • Cars:no cars

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

That is a genuine Weber, made in china
The made in spain Weber (which Redline sells) is higher quality.
Here today gone tomorrow

#10 Tristin

Tristin

the Kevin Bacon of Datsuns

• 14,529 posts
  • Cars:1969 Mint green 510 4dr. sedan

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:35 PM

Its not a real Weber... the easiest way to tell is that the cover is black. Genuine Webers are all white. 

Both Redline and Webers Direct should be selling actual Webers so I would return it and tell them you want a real one. If not, ask for a refund. 

4 doors ..... no whores :crying:

#11 datzenmike

datzenmike

KING RAT

• User Administrator
  • 70,894 posts
  • Cars:'74 710 sedan, '76 710. prevoius... '78 620, '71 521, '68 510 new '76 B-210

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

China are masters of the counterfeit trade. You want a Weber get a Weber not some POS.

Posted Image

#12 JoeCool

JoeCool

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

Its not a real Weber... the easiest way to tell is that the cover is black. Genuine Webers are all white. 

Both Redline and Webers Direct should be selling actual Webers so I would return it and tell them you want a real one. If not, ask for a refund. 

HUH? Electric choke element you mean? That's the only cover I can think of? :confused: Mine I just bought is black and is stamped Weber, made in Spain.

popcorn.gif Good Grief!  This topic and what people think is a genuine part is confusing me. :crying:  I don't know what is real anymore! Am I real? Are any of us real or just someone else's imagination? Or are we all vegetables and being fed our lives through dreams by The Matrix? :frantics:

On a different note, I don't know Weber Carbs Direct return policy as I have bought parts from them, but never had to return any. I do know my experience returning a part with Redline was a pain! They sent me the wrong part, rebuild kit for a DFEV, I ordered a DGEV kit, my receipt and email said so. The salesperson was rude and wanted me to pay a restocking fee, and shipping both ways, I had to "get medieval on his ass" to get the right parts without paying more than I originally did. After that experience... SCREW THE ALMIGHTY REDLINE!

Best thing to do is call Weber Carbs Direct and let them know your concerns with the carb. That thing does look pretty scarred up. Then again, how do the venturis, , chokes and throats, jets, and overall visable interior of the carb look? That is the part that truly matters.

And on that note, I am going to bed!

#13 Sealik

Sealik

BAD Doctor Doug!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

"That is a cheap knock off made in China....definitely not a genuine Redline Weber"

Redline DOES NOT own or manufacture Weber carburetors. They only sell them. Get your facts straight.

Excusssssse me.....
I'm well aware that Redline does not manufacture Webers......and thought that was a given'

How's this...
Genuine Weber From Redline

Whatever.

#14 Sealik

Sealik

BAD Doctor Doug!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

The easiest way to tell the difference......is..... the top cover.

3236-WEBER-BOX.jpg

#15 tr8er

tr8er

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,037 posts
  • Cars:'71 PL510; 01 Frontier 4X4

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

HUH? Electric choke element you mean? That's the only cover I can think of? :confused: Mine I just bought is black and is stamped Weber, made in Spain.
popcorn.gif Good Grief! This topic and what people think is a genuine part is confusing me. :crying: I don't know what is real anymore! Am I real? Are any of us real or just someone else's imagination? Or are we all vegetables and being fed our lives through dreams by The Matrix? :frantics:

On a different note, I don't know Weber Carbs Direct return policy as I have bought parts from them, but never had to return any. I do know my experience returning a part with Redline was a pain! They sent me the wrong part, rebuild kit for a DFEV, I ordered a DGEV kit, my receipt and email said so. The salesperson was rude and wanted me to pay a restocking fee, and shipping both ways, I had to "get medieval on his ass" to get the right parts without paying more than I originally did. After that experience... SCREW THE ALMIGHTY REDLINE!

Best thing to do is call Weber Carbs Direct and let them know your concerns with the carb. That thing does look pretty scarred up. Then again, how do the venturis, , chokes and throats, jets, and overall visable interior of the carb look? That is the part that truly matters.

And on that note, I am going to bed!

We are all real, unless we are made in China.

#16 Tristin

Tristin

the Kevin Bacon of Datsuns

• 14,529 posts
  • Cars:1969 Mint green 510 4dr. sedan

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

Yes sorry, choke element cover. 

There was a website stating the differences, let me see if I can find it.

Edit: http://genuineweber.blogspot.com/

4 doors ..... no whores :crying:

#17 uberkevin

uberkevin

über güber

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts
  • Cars:71 521 Datsun

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

"That is a cheap knock off made in China....definitely not a genuine Redline Weber"

Excusssssse me.....
I'm well aware that Redline does not manufacture Webers......and thought that was a given'

How's this...
Genuine Weber From Redline

Whatever.

Dude didn't like you saying that thing was definitely not a genuine Redline Weber..

The only Dick that made my mouth water. Thank you sir.

Well. When I went to his place, I'd Usually end up getting more than one...

#18 RatVonDude

RatVonDude

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts
  • Cars:82 Datsun 720 KC, 86 Suzuki GSXR, propane nissan forklift,

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:01 PM

Spaghetti is fake ass chow mein. The best thing about the redline Weber is the badass 70's box it comes in! Dune buggys, maserati, Baja pick up. Makes cars look fun, easy and childish.

#19 I'm BLUE

I'm BLUE

BLUE

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Cars:s30's

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

We are all real, unless we are made in China.

animator-fatal-heart-attack-o.gif

#20 RatVonDude

RatVonDude

Datsun Mechanic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts
  • Cars:82 Datsun 720 KC, 86 Suzuki GSXR, propane nissan forklift,

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

Get the manual choke, it will save your ass a tow truck ride if you have a vacuum leak or clogged jet. I had to use the choke on mine as a throttle cable a couple times.