720 Exhaust Options

mmitchell57

I've been digging around looking for exhaust options for the 720. In general, I want it be relatively quite a cruizing speed, but when I get on it I want it to growl some. Also, i'm interested in the performance aspect. So far all I can find is the pacesetter header, bolt on high flow exhuast, and assumably a custom built cat back from a local muffler shop. What options do I have? Is there already a reference here? I appciate the help. Let me know. The exaust is the next part of the project.

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have no smog testing, loose the cat and run 2" pipe all the way back with the largest muffler you can find that will fit the 2" pipe. If getting custom bent system, maybe go 2 1/4" pipe. There is no magical hidden horse power increase with the exhaust, and headers are a money pit of disappointment. The makers won't tell you that the stock system is pretty good by itself.

• Like 3

I live in NC as well, and while you might be able to sneak by on the visual state inspection, why not keep it legal and help the air we breathe by not only shedding the old catalytic convertor, but replacing it with a high flow model. That is what I did along with a 2.25" thrush turbo muffler.

• Like 1

I ran just the catalytic converter on my Grand Prix... no muffler at all, what a great sound. I imagine the Nissan one is straight through honeycomb and won't muffle very much. Yeah if with a cat, then rum a turbo muffler. Nothing straight through, but packed with sound deadener.

• Like 1

I doubt you will notice anything. They are a series of long very small diameter tubes so more or less straight through. Some of the older cats were packed with pellets and would muffle the sound and you could run with out the muffler. On the Nissan I don't think there will be anything noticeable.

• Like 1

If you have no smog testing, loose the cat and run 2" pipe all the way back with the largest muffler you can find that will fit the 2" pipe. If getting custom bent system, maybe go 2 1/4" pipe. There is no magical hidden horse power increase with the exhaust, and headers are a money pit of disappointment. The makers won't tell you that the stock system is pretty good by itself.

What Mike said.And Walker Super Turbo's are quiet at idle & cruising but bark when you put your foot into it.

• Like 1

I run the Thrush Turbo muffler with all stock exhaust with an old ass cat. lol 

It sounds pretty good but my exhaust wasn't even connected to the OG muffler so I cut it right after it the cab and put an adapter and clamps to the muffler. So my exhaust ends right under the bed cause I never finished it.  :P

• Like 2

Looks like the consensus is that the exhaust is not a location to capture performance.  That being the case, make sure it's breathes well and move on. The current cat is all jacked to hell and needs to be replace. I'll do that with a high flow and then take a look at the mufflers referenced here to see what I like best.  Sounds like the header is not work the investment at this time, which is cool. There's other place in the truck I can put the money and fix issues like ball joints, bushings, end links, brakes and more.

• Like 2

If you want growl, run a stock l20 manifold into 2 1/2" with a flowmaster all the way back in the middle. I have this on my wagon and it sounds like a small V8. 

• Like 1

It's an '85 so Z24 engine. The manifold is 4 into 2 with the dual down pipe into one and then into the cat.

Oops, wasn't paying attention but I think that would still do what I'm talking about

• Like 1

I think the Z24 uses a 2" down pipe already and going much larger slows down the exhaust speed. You want the gas speed to be as fast as possible and the pipe size just short of restrictive. Faster gas speed means it has higher inertia as it exits the engine and tends to draw out more of the exhaust at higher RPMs. In fact during the overlap period when the intake is also open it helps suck in some fuel and air or at least start it moving. This reduces the work load on the engine and increases efficiency and also why putting a large pipe on often drops bottom end torque. The Z series are not big revving motors and for the most part the exhaust size is more than adequate. A 2" pipe is 3.14 square inches in cross section. Going to 2.25" makes it 3.53 square inches an increase of 12.5%!!!! More than enough.

• Like 2

I think the Z24 uses a 2" down pipe already and going much larger slows down the exhaust speed. You want the gas speed to be as fast as possible and the pipe size just short of restrictive. Faster gas speed means it has higher inertia as it exits the engine and tends to draw out more of the exhaust at higher RPMs. In fact during the overlap period when the intake is also open it helps suck in some fuel and air or at least start it moving. This reduces the work load on the engine and increases efficiency and also why putting a large pipe on often drops bottom end torque. The Z series are not big revving motors and for the most part the exhaust size is more than adequate. A 2" pipe is 3.14 square inches in cross section. Going to 2.25" makes it 3.53 square inches an increase of 12.5%!!!! More than enough.

Oh, I was going off how to make it sound cool more than the efficiency side of it. But a Z24 might sound different than a L20 with the same setup.

• Like 1

Boom. I'm sold. Seriously, this is good info. 

On another note, finally had a chance to go in and start checking out the exhaust to see what I was dealing with. I had one manifold bolt missing. I went to pull another to see thread and length. It was finger tight. I started to check all the others.... finger tight. Went through and applied some torque to tighten them up. There is a tiny different, but it's enough to be noticeable.  I figure I'll end up keeping the manifold and look at doing work from the cat back.

Suggestions on cleaning up the manifold and making it look presentable?  Also, I am possibly going to replace all exhaust studs with something nicer and newer.

• Like 1

Replace the exhaust to down pipe studs/nuts with stainless steel and you'll never have trouble removing them again.

Remove and sand blast the manifold. Spray paint with high heat silver or white to reduce under hood temps.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I cracked my muffler, and it kinda got ripped off, so now I'm running stock exhaust, with a cat, except from the muffler and back is ripped off, anyone know if this is bad to run? I understand a muffler gives back pressure, so without my muffler am I doing harm to my engine?

Might change your performance higher or lower but it's not likely noticeable.

I don't think the pipe is short enough to cause any problems. 

How does it sound?

• Like 1