77 620 "the blue buzzard"

teagueauto21

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooked my brake lines up today and pulled it outside for some much needed sunlight, also drove it around the yard and it seems to handle like its on rails.

20150329_145856_zpsumheetgi.jpg

20150329_145924_zpsjshirqtn.jpg

Up next on on the list is to paint the frame and mount the bed and new freeze plugs and shes ready to roll.

• Like 2

Its alive! I drove it down the road the other day and I must say, the handling is so much better. I need to get a new driveshaft cause it vibrates like hell once you get over 40. I took this video after I got back home so you all can hear how it sounds, its running rough I think I need to adjust the points and the air mixture on the carb.

th_20150401_161943_zpsno4trvn3.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well today was an eventful day, I managed to get my bed on its got to come back off so I can paint the frame Though, but everything is cut out so all I have to do is drop it back on.

20150511_191644_zpsjvhpsylt.jpg

20150511_191659_zps8dnoflvu.jpg

The wheels poke out a hell of alot but I got a set of low offset 15s to tuck them back in I just got to get tires for them.

20150511_191709_zpstv8otf1k.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics my phone was dying so it wouldnt focus.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so im in need of some help. I took my carb off and cleaned it really good, put it back on and it was running but it was real rough at idle and sometimes i had to pat the pedal to keep ot running so I adjusted it a little bit, it got alot better. So yesterday I went to crank it up and it would fire up so I sprayed some starting fluid in it and it fired right up but went dead again, so then I put some gas in the carb and it ran for a minute then died again. I figured the float was stuck so pulled it apart and fiddled with the float and put it back together and im still not getting fuel, the pump is pumping it to the carb but the float bowl will not fill up. Im getting a weber soon but funds are a little low right now and I have to make due with the Hitachi right now. What do you guys think is going on?

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a stuck needle. If your pump is putting fuel to the carb but not filling up the bowl. Or maybe something(trash) blocking the needle seat. If you got the float back in right and its set right to let fuel in. Should be easy to check on the Hitachi. You can get to all that from the front window. I just got my Weber installed yesterday and it is so much nicer than dealing with worn out/rebuilt Hitachi's for 20 years. They are reasonable now from Weber carbs direct or EBay. They are actually 10 bucks cheaper on eBay and come from the same place. I got the 32/36 dveg for $239 and it came with everything to install. Even got the air filter assembly.

• Like 1

Sounds like a stuck needle. If your pump is putting fuel to the carb but not filling up the bowl. Or maybe something(trash) blocking the needle seat. If you got the float back in right and its set right to let fuel in. Should be easy to check on the Hitachi. You can get to all that from the front window. I just got my Weber installed yesterday and it is so much nicer than dealing with worn out/rebuilt Hitachi's for 20 years. They are reasonable now from Weber carbs direct or EBay. They are actually 10 bucks cheaper on eBay and come from the same place. I got the 32/36 dveg for $239 and it came with everything to install. Even got the air filter assembly.

Thanks man, im going to try and clean the needle and the seat tomorrow hopefully that will patch it up long enough for the me to get a weber!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody ever used the crane cams fireball electronic ignition conversion,

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/crn-700-0292

It says it fits the 77 l20b but it doesnt say anything about the 620 distributor just the cars.

I think I have this same kit on my dime......if not the same VERY similar...

........works great.....

Great work so far man!!......keep it up!!

• Like 2

I think I have this same kit on my dime......if not the same VERY similar...

........works great.....

Great work so far man!!......keep it up!!

Thanks Busta, I was thinking about the pertronix kit until i found this one, it just looks to be better quality than the other and ive seen no negative reviews compared to the pertronix kit. So I think im going to order this kit after I order my weber.

• Like 1

Thanks Busta, I was thinking about the pertronix kit until i found this one, it just looks to be better quality than the other and ive seen no negative reviews compared to the pertronix kit. So I think im going to order this kit after I order my weber.

I've never had an issue with a Pertronix kit either......installed dozens of them.....

......just a little tricky to install on an L20 dist.....some grinding required.....

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Yeah they both did! The one on the left we had just put a new head and timing chain on it and the guy got 5 miles down the road and the bottom end started knocking, the one on the right come out of my granddads hardbody the timing chain pulley came loose and started slapping around in the case. I got them both, a 5speed trans and a spare parts hardbody for 200 bucks!