Saleen. The black 280z

DatMo

After i lost my 510, i picked up a 280z for 1k. 1976. originally silver.

It was running but once it got dropped off it hasnt. needs some work. actually a lot. lol.

• Like 1
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What sort of a compression problem do you have? What's the compression reading?

this is my fault. I'm just an idiot. I had read somewhere that it means that if you remove the oil cap while car is idling, if the idle changes, it was having compression issues. This makes me a lot more optimistic. Thanks

Cool I think you'll like the s30 datmo !.

Since you probably have the 3.54 R200 diff and a 4spd trans I'd drive it around that way for a while you might just like the setup over a 5spd.

It plants you right into the stock camshaft real power-band on the highway. (above 2,900rpm)

I drove my yellow s30 like that same setup for years to the beach , cruises , highway , to work , and around town.... nothing above 70-75 , and it was good. (sure a loss of a couple mpg's , but it's an old car or classic at this point ).

Since I put the 5spd in it ... it's great , but I still find myself kicking it down to 4th for a bit even on the highway , passing , hills , traffic , town , etc

Especially with triple webers , a different curved distributor (Mallory mechanical advanced) and a low-gear diff.

Like ggzilla said .. pulling the oil filler cap off while the car is idling , and idle dropping is a good sign. (even your cap/dipstick sealed)

It's simply an old/fast method used to detect vacuum leaks in other parts of the system.

Since your idle dropped when you pulled it = means the system is sealed/fine for now.

Has nothing to do with compression #'s .

I would do a compression test if you have a tester or are willing , so you know where you're at with your new ride !

But hey honestly if it runs , and drives well then that'll be up to you !

Sometimes just running , and driving/listening to things first is the best method.

Again congrats , and hope you enjoy it.

Cool I think you'll like the s30 datmo !.

Since you probably have the 3.54 R200 diff and a 4spd trans I'd drive it around that way for a while you might just like the setup over a 5spd.

It plants you right into the stock camshaft real power-band on the highway. (above 2,900rpm)

I drove my yellow s30 like that same setup for years to the beach , cruises , highway , to work , and around town.... nothing above 70-75 , and it was good. (sure a loss of a couple mpg's , but it's an old car or classic at this point ).

Since I put the 5spd in it ... it's great , but I still find myself kicking it down to 4th for a bit even on the highway , passing , hills , traffic , town , etc

Especially with triple webers , a different curved distributor (Mallory mechanical advanced) and a low-gear diff.

Like ggzilla said .. pulling the oil filler cap off while the car is idling , and idle dropping is a good sign. (even your cap/dipstick sealed)

It's simply an old/fast method used to detect vacuum leaks in other parts of the system.

Since your idle dropped when you pulled it = means the system is sealed/fine for now.

Has nothing to do with compression #'s .

I would do a compression test if you have a tester or are willing , so you know where you're at with your new ride !

But hey honestly if it runs , and drives well then that'll be up to you !

Sometimes just running , and driving/listening to things first is the best method.

Again congrats , and hope you enjoy it.

THIS IS GREAT INFO! Thank a lot and although the idle dropped I do see vacuum lines cut in many places so I'm gonna repair those. I'll also be cleaning gas tank and my wiring since none of my lights worked but all fuses were good. I actually have a 78 5 speed already in so I'll just have to grow on it. I'm really excited to get this thing going. I like it a lot already! I think I have a mechanical fuel pump as well but I feel like it's stock? Not sure but I have a broken arm so tough to do things in the bay. I'm excited to learn. I'm glad to hear that the idle drop is good :)

First thing is getting it running strong.

I felt like my axle was like loose or maybe my bearing is gone. I'll have to fix that to be safe. Breaks seem good and with the booster I got yesterday, should be perfect. Once all runs and stops safely, then I'll get to fun cosmetics and a bit more power!

I know this has been asked before but I just can't seem to find it. I want to lower my z but because I'm so tight on a budget and I'll be daily it, I wanted to get springs. I saw some shakotans that look really good but idk what would run flush. I thought maybe 0 offset because that's supposed to keep everything geometrically correct according to what I read. I just know a guy selling a set that I don't want to pass.

I did some research and I found that eibach springs aren't too good compared to the tokicos?

I'm looking for somewhat a soft ride. My back has hurt from the stiff ride in my old 510. lol.

I was also wondering what you guys were running for feedback. I didn't see any threads like that.

I think 15x8 0 rota shakotans with some kyb's and tokico's would be my set up but I need more research to make sure. I'm trying to get as close as possible to a 2" drop.

without buying coil overs.

You don't need new springs for a 2" drop. Just cut 1/2 coil off each side. Or lower the stock spring perch.

Well my current springs and shocks are all pretty fucked up.

I took off my springs and they just plopped off. 

That's why I'm interested in a new setup.

Do 240z eibach springs fit on a 280z? I did some research and I understand the parts are interchangeable on stock but the springs don't seem to say that specifically meet 280z's. You'd need a whole new set of different springs but just wondering. I have a chance to get a set so I don't wanna pass it up!