The Dime Finally Realized

4perrev

Sweet. Thank you for the encouragement! I'm getting to work on the body and suspension first. Slow metal work going now, but it's all fun either way and I learn everyday.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:21 PM, 521parling said:

Love 510s! I want one pretty bad but maybe later in life haha good start sofar man looks awesome!

Thanks. All in time my man, you'll own one soon I'm sure.

Great turn out for the bbq today. Thanks Hobo. Bought me some goodies today and need to get busy on the dime. This will give me all the motivation ever.

A87:

JP5lDpZ.jpg

Cannon intake:

KodeIqQ.jpg

And a pair of Weber 45's:

qK4k1sX.jpg

Gonna get into this!,

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3

I'm digging this thread. Trying to get inspiration for when I get time to work on mine. Loving the progress on yours.

Time is certainly at a premium these days. But no w that the sun stays up longer and the rain will taper off, I shall go deep and get er dun!

So with my newly acquired parts sitting around the garage and the weather warming up a bit, I felt it was time to get started again on the Dime. Did fix the old dremel the other day. Stupid thing was dirty inside the brushes and connectors. $97.99 saved!! Anyways, I got down to cleaning up the head. Here's what it started as:

n0f08NU.jpg

I'm using the Harbor Freight sanding packs that have the spiral sandpaper and rods. The problem was that it only fit a drill and the drill was way to big to fit the ports. What I found to fit the sandpaper was an old scribe shank, rounded off at the end so it wouldn't tear up the aluminum if it poked out. This fit right into the dremel and works perfectly. Started with 120 to knock down the high points (cause I didn't feel that I needed a Burr). The job is going well and time consuming, but will be well worth it in the end.....even if nobody ever sees the shine. I'll know it's there, every time I press that right pedal!!! Here is the after 120 pass. The port one the left has more of the business done to it, while the right port just had the carbon knocked off and a little of the beginning to it:

Ntlfxyk.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1

After some research and discussions with Troy Ermish / Dave Rebello, I think I'm going with the 2150 engine build. N85 connecting rods are getting balanced and on the way. Heads getting polished and slight port. Cam, lash pads, new springs, ground KA24de pistons, rings, head gasket and bearings are coming from Rebello. Also getting a complete Weber DCOE rebuild, jet kit and setup from Rebello to match. ow, I just need to punch super holes in the L20B to fit those big a$$ pistons. Should be good for 180-200Hp by the time she's done. Got some money going into her, but when I started this project (and waited over 20 years to do) I wanted to do her right! Keeping this girl original with goodies inside. Mmmmmmm, can't wait!!

• Like 1

Still working the head with the exhaust ports. Man that stuff is slow, but looking good. Dave sent me an oic to work off for the porting of the exhaust, now just have to match the goodness. Ordered the connecting rods from
CLEGG ENGINE & MACHINE and should be here this week. Fun, fun, fun all day!!!

Got home today after work, chilled out and watched a movie. Then my wife says, "hey, there's a box in the garage from the mail today". What? So I got into it and found my rods! So peeeerrrrrty! Just one more piece of the puzzle coming together. Yummmm! Here's the goodies:

zjJ36WW.jpg

ccsZask.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1

Alright, so with the engine head getting polished, I had to take a break for a minute. Loads of time in there and she's just about glassy down the exhaust ports. Took a look at the car sitting on jack stands and decided that I really didn't want to crawl under the car anymore and clean off all the undercoating, not to mention weld or run brake lines. So, I'm going to build a rotisserie for the girl to help me help her! 

Saw some plans on the web and even one to buy, but 1K I think was too much for what I needed. Priced out all the steel and it would have been $600. Went to Harbor Freight and bought 2 engine stands and Skagit steel to buy some 2x2x3/16 angle steel. Had enough time to fab up one stand. Strengthening the side supports for now. The rest will be getting the treatment tomorrow. Here's what it looks like so far:

Pack of goodies:

yrfC3VB.jpg

The stand fab:

CtwFOFg.jpg

kohMFtW.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2

if only you had come to this point at the beginning of the month, i could've made it a little cheaper for you seeing as i have 2 engine stands down in my shop

That's cool, if you never wanted them back, cause these things may or may not function as engine stands again. Or, they will be over build so you could hang a car on them......Oh yeah, that's what I'm doing!!

heywier427, thought about that one, but don't have the room to turn it over in my tiny garage.

Did some more work on the chicken rack. Got one side completely done and ready to move on to the other side. I guess I should have welded this prior to the car because these are some of the best welds I've done. Here is the frame:

KG5h2I6.jpg

Closer look:

jmpy6JI.jpg

And the full painted version:

fRX9rlJ.jpg

Did a punch out in the middle of the cross members to get more weld in there. Might have gone a bit over in the strength, but I just wanted to make sure she would hold up when flipping. Last thing to hear as you go to bed would be the thud of a car hitting the floor. OOOOO, bad night. So, It should be plenty good for holding the old girl up!

Edited by 4perrev

Ive made a few similar to this one before for my mk1.

I dont know if the rear mounts are up to it on a datsun though.

I added stops, so it couldnt tip over too far.

I've considered making this. Easier to store the car in the garage too.. on its side.. 

Part 2 of the chicken rack. Fab'd up the front mount today. Did some measuring (lots) and cut once. Made the front the same or close to the same height as the back. Last thing to do is setup the cross bar to tie both stands together. After that, should be able to roll her over. Nervous and excited all in one. We'll see how she works. Will upload pictures once she's flipped.

Here's the front mount:

ckqDpJg.jpg

A little closer now:

srlnaEp.jpg

And here it is positioned in front of the car:

FOgQvGx.jpg

Edited by 4perrev

Did some business today and hooked her up. Everything went together just like planned. She won't go all the way round, but that's ok because it's much easier to clean and work on the bottom now. Thought about supporting the bottom of the stands to push it higher, but again, just left it where it is. Was kind of worried about the placement of the brackets and balancing out at first. They turned out to be almost perfect in the end. I would bet that if the were 10 Lbs per side, she would be completely balanced. Anyways, it is awesome and now I can get some serious work done!

Here's the goods. Front:

39Y9Qx0.jpg

Middle:

J782USL.jpg

Back:

TGiRdEb.jpg

Finished off the stand with Hemi orange, cause I had no red. Gives it that no bought look!!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 4

Had my first day under the girl without being on my back. So nice and accessible to everything under there. The scraping continues and is coming along, slowly and surely. The undercoating is pretty easy in some places, but really stuck on in others. Would love to blast the whole thing, but it's $300 plus a 2 hour drive to get to where the guys are. Oh well. Guess I have to scrap her clean!!