The Dime Finally Realized

4perrev

Except the corporate logos I like it

I'm going for the race car theme here. These are just a couple of ideas for the stickers. Already got the ok from Monster and the others, a guy can buy off the shelf. Always wanted to build a race car replica or such.

????

Still debating on whether or not to go with the cell. The stock tank keeps a more even weight ratio I think?

DaBlist: I wanted to break up the whole car into something different. It may look completely different on the real car, but I'll have to see when I get there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys. Made another rendition of the concept paint job. Took DaBlist advice and moved all the striping in the same direction. Gave a top picture to see how it all flows. Still debating on whether or not to wrap the red and blue stripes with black pin-striping? It looks good on the 2 front ones, but not sure I dig it on the rear quarter panel. Good thing is, I still have time to sort it out while the car comes together!

RTXlMfD.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1

As life finally slowed down a bit today, I got into the rear end. Been wanting to pull this out for awhile to go through it all. Came out relatively easy with a floor jack and some torque on the 17 mm nuts. Going to need to change out all the bushings for sure and hopefully that's it. Will know more once I crack her open. Here's the goods for now:

3cTJsab.jpg

PUghX1A.jpg

Now it's time to get down and clean off 40 some years of undercoating, dirt and junk!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1
  • 8 months later...

Had a big time away from the retsina. Been super busy. But, it's warming up and time to start getting back into the dime. Ordered 200sx rotors, Maxima calipers and a read sic conversion bracket to get disco on the back. Gotta order the rear nut cause I'm cutting the old ones off to get to the bearings. Never know how old grease is in a 40+ year old car. I'll get some pictures going here soon.

Why is trying to find a KA (that's not whooped) so hard these days??

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rear disc bracket and calipers the other day, but hesitated to cut the axle bolts off until the new ones showed up. (Thanks Aaron for the brackets)! But, the mailbox regergitated a small box from Texas. There they are (Thanks Courtesy Nissan for still having these guys) in all their little nutty glory. Man, I love getting parts in the mail. Now I know how Tanker feels every week!!! :poke:  He does build killer sh!t though! I digress here, so I will get into cutting off those nasty nuts soon and get to working the Dime again. Here's the goods:

7Qb6jwI.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1

Yeah, a couple Nissan SR20's will pull a premium a week before racewars ... :rofl: ... it's always nice to go into any parts store and buy KA24 parts

True there, but you gotta have one first! Been looking around, but find bad stuff tore up or missing the goodies. Not to mention there are a hundred transverse engines, but from what I've read, you can't swap them to RWD. 

For another episode on Man Vs Axe Nuts!!

Made for a fun day, let me tell ya! Sh!t, those things are on there good. Probably for 44 years. Started with a Dremel cutting wheel (Cause that's all I had) and got one nut down pretty far. Tried a wrench, but no good. So, I got out the chisel and hammer and went to town. Little more cutting and beating got her off. Damn! Started on the second one and the Dremel quite on me. WTF? Oh well, I got another one. Lucky for me, the was a metal cutting tool on it already. Drove down both sides of the nut and to the bottom (since I could reach with this tool now). Once I thought it was good, gave it the same treatment with the hammer and chisel. Bam, the nut split in two and came right off. I'm no expert, but this second method was sure easier, not to mention, the axle shaft threads were left completely un touched. The picture below has the nut with the cutting wheel on the left and the nut with the metal bit on the right. You be the judge?!! The axle is on the bottom:

1Uwa5Ci.jpg

L2uC5HX.jpg

Referee, Man WINS!!!!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1

Ok guys. Made another rendition of the concept paint job. Took DaBlist advice and moved all the striping in the same direction. Gave a top picture to see how it all flows. Still debating on whether or not to wrap the red and blue stripes with black pin-striping? It looks good on the 2 front ones, but not sure I dig it on the rear quarter panel. Good thing is, I still have time to sort it out while the car comes together!

Datsun%20510%20Concept%203_zpsggsn1kw4.j

Looks great.

Edekalil.. Thanks! Waiting to do body work first, but then I'll spray the sh!t out of her.

Shacks. No lube man, really? Ouch. Like being on the beach. I'd use an impact, but simple tools round here.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I guess the SR20s are a plenty, but still soooooooo expensive in the end.

From what I understand, SR is usually cheaper if you plan to search for power. Stock and with bolt ons they make a lot, and to get comparable power out of a KA you'll be spending more and be dealing with internals and such

^^^ I agree with the above UNTIL you are looking for power above the capabilities of a stock sr20 engine. Once you have to replace internals,ka becomes the better option again, both financially and for reliability at that high power

They are both good engines. Always nice to dream every now and then. I'm not a big fan of turbos either. I will probably go with the L20 and do some easy stuff to her. Port and polish job. Flat tops and new everything seals. Going to clean out the block real nice like! We'll see where it goes from there.

They are both good engines. Always nice to dream every now and then. I'm not a big fan of turbos either. I will probably go with the L20 and do some easy stuff to her. Port and polish job. Flat tops and new everything seals. Going to clean out the block real nice like! We'll see where it goes from there.

That's what I would do! Looking forward to it

• Like 1