The Dime Finally Realized

4perrev

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. The trunk is mostly clean and there is still most of the undercoating down below. The rust sure shows up where the coating is gone, fast. Just trying to muddle through the worst stuff.

Thanks for the goodness all! It's definitely not as bad as some I've seen, but still a challenge, since I've never really done stuff like this before. Oh, maybe a little bit on the truck!

Attacked a big hole in the trunk today. Not sure why, but the passanger's side of the car has more rust than the driver's? Weird. 

probably sat at an angle for a period of time  

dont forget to seal the crack next to the quarter panel!

IMG_0930_zps44nds1w7.jpg

you will never get it completely  coated, so clean and seal at the seam.  oh and use automotive seam sealer not rain gutter calking or the likes

looking good !!

• Like 2

I definitely need to get some of the sealer to fill the cracks. First, I need to fix all the crack or find more that are hiding. Mostly working on the passengers side right now, as my garage only lets me do one side at a time. Once this side is good, I have to pull the car out and reposition to get to the drivers side. The joys of a one car garage.

Sorry kids, nothing new to report this week on the dime. The weather was so nice on Saturday that I had to go out and play in the dirt for a bit. Not to worry as I'm sure Washington will give me more rain next weekend and let me get more done on the car.

IMG_0933_zpszhwnhkyn.jpg

• Like 1

Had some time last night and worked on another paint idea. It's a little rough due to Photoshop, but you can get the idea. What do ya think?? The X's are just place holders for logos.

cbgELbY.jpg

Edited by 4perrev

Thanks for the reply.  It's nothing special, but still trying to find the right look.  Your cars not bad....it's just black.  Like the peanut head though.

Thanks! I used an old skool Z race car as a guide. Kind of leaning towards a period correct paint scheme, but there's not too many to choose from. I know beauty is within, but I also don't want to go too far and look like a complete idiot either.

Beautiful Saturday, so we took a drive down to the Arlington Pick-n-Pull to look into a little yellow Datsun. Good to go at 830 in the morning and engine was still sitting in the truck. So I pulled the L20 and scored a Matchbox to boot! Signed up on Row52.com and left info on the condition of the truck so others would know what's there without having to drive from wherever they are to find out somebody was already there. Just wish more people would do it, so we can save the journey. It takes us 1 1/2 hours to get there and the PNP guys won't tell you what's still in the car. Boo! Anyways, took the valve cover off and the cam and chain was perfect. Coolant was pure green like it had been changed yesterday and the oil filter had a date of 4.10.2013 on her. Will give more pictures of the inside tomorrow when the sun comes back out.

MJESVHZ.jpg

idxCh4i.jpg

Oh, almost forgot, the 5 speed transmission is still there and looks really nice. The throwout bearing and tunnel are very clean!!

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 2

What did you pay for it?

It was $150 + $30 for the core, $5 for the dizzy because it was attached. So $185, not bad! Going to crack the head with off today to see how she is inside.

Junksun: not to worry about smog up here on the island cause we don't have any.

Not much to report after the good weekend, but don't understand why I get no responses after posts? Just looking for some critiques or advice to make sure the build goes right. :blush:

Just keep at it! I just read through and like that you're taking the super bad stuff out and replacing it. There are lots of "right" ways to do what you're doing. I suppose there would be as many "wrong" ways as well. The nice thing is that even if you make a mistake, it's still learning and you can undo it and do it again! Sometimes trial and error teach more than what someone can tell you! You're fixing stuff yourself that some folks wouldn't even touch! Awesome!

• Like 1

It was $150 + $30 for the core, $5 for the dizzy because it was attached. So $185, not bad! Going to crack the head with off today to see how she is inside.

wait, which island?

Lol I always forget smog laws are different everywhere other than california...

Hobo, Whidbey Island. No smog in unicorporated areas. Cali is crazy with smog stuff and I'm sure it's worse since I left in the 90s.

Just keep at it! I just read through and like that you're taking the super bad stuff out and replacing it. There are lots of "right" ways to do what you're doing. I suppose there would be as many "wrong" ways as well. The nice thing is that even if you make a mistake, it's still learning and you can undo it and do it again! Sometimes trial and error teach more than what someone can tell you! You're fixing stuff yourself that some folks wouldn't even touch! Awesome!

Thanks, I appreciate the comment. It is quite something to go through and fix it. The learning curve continues to climb with every weekend!

• Like 1

Hobo, Whidbey Island. No smog in unicorporated areas. Cali is crazy with smog stuff and I'm sure it's worse since I left in the 90s.

I'm in Skagit, no smog period. It's nice considering all my cars I would be going to the emissions place once every few months and they would know me by name.