The Dime Finally Realized

4perrev

Hello Goons and Gals. So, I finally got my 510 2-door after many years of waiting. Drove one of these back in time (long ago) and always wanted to own one. The best thing is that I get to build it from the ground up. No screw left un-turned if you will. Here's what I'm starting with:

m31B9Zm.jpg

GTfJHDR.jpg

pAc7nv4.jpg

3JSelxW.jpg

OMdElgH.jpg

6wblx4Z.jpg

RKdMMTm.jpg

k14QJz9.jpg

qmwRTYb.jpg

PsHUohk.jpg

HK9NAuW.jpg

I7bC316.jpg

Parts shelf:

N6U47yU.jpg

And because I started a new project, I had to buy a new toy to go with it:

XObdYP7.jpg

Once I got her up on jack stands, I just had to try it out. So here is one strut tower reinforced and cleaning out the wheel well:

yfpwslJ.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 3
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, forgot to add these pictures of a knock off 510. Not sure what it is, but it looked cool enough to stop and get some pictures.

OdT5NqY.jpg

Hh2jxrI.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1

Yeah thanks for the car. I've been gone for a while, but nice to be back and work on her!! I was tempted to ask the guy to sell me the car, but had no way of getting back here. Plus, I'm sure parts would be a pain in the a$$ to get.

Good luck on your build, I have to get going on a 510 I took apart way back to fix up and trick out but it still sits at this moment while I am keeping all the other cars going ( with all the little issues that keep popping up).

IMG_20130324_121354.jpg

Hey, that radio looks almost as old as the car!! Not to worry, I have one that is almost as old. Did some frame mending today. There was a big rusted chuck that came out and got replaced. Still working on the welding techniques. 

Before:

Dcv3sPv.jpg

After:

jlj1Np6.jpg

Edited by 4perrev

Got down and covered the old battery notch cause the battery is going in the trunk. Here's the work:

Before -

nWJybdf.jpg

After -

vvWjxzT.jpg

After that, there was quite a bit of rust around the bottom of the fender. Good thing I have a donor part car sitting around. So just cut and replace.

Before - 

PP2IFjW.jpg

After - 

photo4_zps809fdfdf.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • Like 1

Thanks man. I looks like a lot, but there is mostly surface rust on things and not too bad overall. The battery area was the worst and there is a small hole in the trunk which will go fast. It is good that I bought it being completely stripped out, so I can just get down to buisness without dismantling first. It has fiberglass floors and I really want to get rid of then cause 150 MPH with plastic floors doesn't sound safe. Not to mention, I am going to have to weld in seat rails for new Corbeau seats!!

Frank in Everett has a lot of parts

LOTS LIKE YOULL NEED IT

Yeah thank you. I've bought a head from Frank before. That guy is crazy funny, but knows his stuff. Love the BRE car on the wall!

Wow, that's a whole lot of work you're looking at, but seeing the pace you worked on the 521, this should go rather quickly :thumbup:

Hey thanks for the vote of confidence. It's a whole lot of work to do, but will be fun that I finally found my dream, if you will. Sorry for the "thanks man", i will retort with thanks you lady. I know you guys share the forum, but I will go with the proper way!! You're 510 project got my pumped to get going here. Hey, are you guys still rolling a wagon door on the 510? If so, I do have a four door that has some doors that are good. Just let me know as to which side, front or rear and I'll look or take a pic for ya!

Haha, no worries on the 'man'.  If you ever meet me, you'll understand, I'm quite a tomboy :) 

Thanks for the compliments on our 510 as well.  Having multiple projects is crazy sometimes, as I'm sure you well know ;)

A couple years ago we actually traded off the wagon door and got the stock door back from my in-laws place down in California.  But thank you for the offer, that's nice of you!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for my sabatical for a minute. I tend to doze off as time passes! Once I get one of these Datsuns running, I will take a drive down to a meet and say hello. The truck is running and just needs tires and registration.

So after buying new tires for the 521 today, she's good to go. I did hit a junkyard today on a whim. Holysh!t was I glad I did! Finally found my 5 speed and front struts for the dime. Thought for a minute I was going the SR20 route because finding a tranny was a chore, but that's all put to rest now and I can stay traditional with the L20 and carb set up. It's out of a 79 280zx. Here's the goods:

OtEqT7u.jpg

Edited by 4perrev
  • 2 months later...

Finally got done pulling all that fiberglass of the floors. Or should I say, sanding it off. Crazy mess even with a wet/dry vac working. Anyways, they aren't as bad as I guess to be so I have to mock up the tranny to cut and make new mounts. After that, I can get down to replacing the bad sections of the boards. In the mean time, I had some time to play with Photoshop and came up with the paint job idea. Might be a bit of a pain in the a$$, but it would be well worth it. Her she is (propossed):

Q0CbNDx.jpg

Edited by 4perrev

Finally got done pulling all that fiberglass of the floors. Or should I say, sanding it off. Crazy mess even with a wet/dry vac working. Anyways, they aren't as bad as I guess to be so I have to mock up the tranny to cut and make new mounts. After that, I can get down to replacing the bad sections of the boards. In the mean time, I had some time to play with Photoshop and came up with the paint job idea. Might be a bit of a pain in the a$$, but it would be well worth it. Her she is (propossed):

REDBULL_zpsadb75eec.jpg

Why redbull, they sponsoring?

Not sure if Red Bull would sponser me as I haven't writen them yet.  I will probably do so, just to make sure I don't infringe on any copyright stuff, but my whole intention was to just do it because I think it looks good.  Not sure about the wrap and cost ofcourse.  I'll let you guys know what they say.

Yeah I have to agree with the wrap idea. Paint the car white and do all the red bull stuff in vinyl.

I doubt red bull would sponsor a car unless you committed to being at a set number of high class shows per year or some other promotional deal. I'd hate having a corporation tell me when and where I drove my car...

So I received a response from the bull company. They said that no I couldn't use it because it would be copyright issues. There is no way they would let me use it because it was going to be in a commercial setting. They also went as far as to tell me that I couldn't paste a red bull sticker on the car or they would send me a cease and desist notice. I guess this all stems from metal bands taking sh!t for kids killing themselves with the bands record or CD on during the act. Oh well, I can still paint the car any color I want, cause that's not illegal, right? More drawing to go!!

So I received a response from the bull company. They said that no I couldn't use it because it would be copyright issues. There is no way they would let me use it because it was going to be in a commercial setting. They also went as far as to tell me that I couldn't paste a red bull sticker on the car or they would send me a cease and desist notice. I guess this all stems from metal bands taking sh!t for kids killing themselves with the bands record or CD on during the act. Oh well, I can still paint the car any color I want, cause that's not illegal, right? More drawing to go!!

Wow sounds kind of harsh, fuck redbull maybe try monster or gatorade :rofl:

• Like 1

Yeah, they were none so nice about it either. Contacted Monster and they gave me the address to apply for sponsorship. Probably won't happen, but atleast they entertained the idea and who knows, maybe they will let me do it. The lady on the phone said that she was going to mail me stickers to get started!! We'll see the outcome and I'll let you guys know.

• Like 1

Yeah, they were none so nice about it either. Contacted Monster and they gave me the address to apply for sponsorship. Probably won't happen, but atleast they entertained the idea and who knows, maybe they will let me do it. The lady on the phone said that she was going to mail me stickers to get started!! We'll see the outcome and I'll let you guys know.

Well there you go some stickers is all you need  :thumbup: at least they were a bit nicer about the whole thing

Yep! I'll see if I can come up with a better Monster paint job, although black, white and green are not my prefered colors. Maybe, I'll just go with some other colors and racing stickers from multiple companies. Photoshop here I come!!