cnc mill and shop work - mklotz70

My new mill came in.  It's completely off the Datsun topic, except that it will be making Datsun parts at some point.  I figured I'd include shop work here too since the mill won't be making everything.  Most of the vids will be posted to my youtube channel, but it's way easier to carry on a Q&A or even a conversation on here.  I don't expect many to follow, if any, but I've shared a lot of my "stuff" on Ratsun over the years.....figured I'd share this too.

• Like 4
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's got a 2hp motor.....probably won't use anything over 3/4".  Depending on the job, mostly 3/8" and 1/2" I would think.  I'm still kinda new to machining.  With the manual mill, you can just wing it a bit more.

That's one of the more entertaining things I've seen lately! Thanks for posting. When I started watching I thought "Oh cool. Pro delivery truck. The mill will be on the ground in about a minute. As I kept watching there were a couple of times I thought it might get to the ground a lot quicker than that! And I kept thinking it must not be good to drop something that expensive very far. The final semi-controlled drop was a heart stopper. Glad it all went well.

I bought a smallish South Bend vertical mill at a local estate sale about a month ago. The seller brought it over on a forklift and landed it on a couple of 6X6s outside my shop. I had to raise it up with bars and blocks about another 8 or 10" and build a bridge about 6' over to the shop door. Rolled it in on 1/2" water pipe. It weighs 1600-some pounds, so It took way longer than it should have, but the last time I did something like this I was maybe 15 years younger. I also spared myself any heart stopping moments. Pretty boring actually.

I just ordered a Teco VFD for it yesterday. I spent a lot of time researching phase convertors and such and the VFD looks like it is worth trying.

I got a really good price on the mill, but it is kind of an orphan with a 30MM (stands for Milling Machine, not millimeters. Surprised me to find this out.) spindle taper. Pretty obsolete size, but it came with a collet holder. For Z collets which are also pretty obsolete. But I only need a couple of sizes to get me going. There is another more popular 30 taper tooling that can be adapted to the 30MM, so I'll probably go that way as I need more tooling.

Looking forward to your machine up and running.

Len

That's one of the more entertaining things I've seen lately! Thanks for posting. When I started watching I thought "Oh cool. Pro delivery truck. The mill will be on the ground in about a minute. As I kept watching there were a couple of times I thought it might get to the ground a lot quicker than that! And I kept thinking it must not be good to drop something that expensive very far. The final semi-controlled drop was a heart stopper. Glad it all went well.

I bought a smallish South Bend vertical mill at a local estate sale about a month ago. The seller brought it over on a forklift and landed it on a couple of 6X6s outside my shop. I had to raise it up with bars and blocks about another 8 or 10" and build a bridge about 6' over to the shop door. Rolled it in on 1/2" water pipe. It weighs 1600-some pounds, so It took way longer than it should have, but the last time I did something like this I was maybe 15 years younger. I also spared myself any heart stopping moments. Pretty boring actually.

I just ordered a Teco VFD for it yesterday. I spent a lot of time researching phase convertors and such and the VFD looks like it is worth trying.

I got a really good price on the mill, but it is kind of an orphan with a 30MM (stands for Milling Machine, not millimeters. Surprised me to find this out.) spindle taper. Pretty obsolete size, but it came with a collet holder. For Z collets which are also pretty obsolete. But I only need a couple of sizes to get me going. There is another more popular 30 taper tooling that can be adapted to the 30MM, so I'll probably go that way as I need more tooling.

Looking forward to your machine up and running.

Len

Once you get some tooling, it ought to be a pretty nice mill.  The VFD is definitely worth it!! 

I'm looking forward to it too! lol

I've been editing vids all morning, but it's time to clean up and head to the Canby show for a few hours.

Thanks Len!

Mike

I'm loving these vids! I started to Google for info on the mill you bought and realized it is more fun to just wait for you to post as you put it together and power it up. Very much looking forward to the next episode.

I've also been poking around in the 710 threads (may be getting a 710 soon) and watched your vids on making the 710 caliper brackets. Very informative. I appreciate all the detail you go into.

According to UPS Tracking, my VFD is supposed to arrive Thursday (if the driver can find my house. The population of this town is about 435, so some of the drivers struggle to find their way around). The SB mill has a 1 HP 3 phase dual voltage motor (220/440V). From diagrams in a couple of motor books and what I've found online,  I'm 90% sure it is wired for 440 and I know how to switch the wires around for 220. However the 10% doubt will probably keep me doing research for awhile longer. I may even have to join one of the machinist forums and post a newb question on motor wiring. If anyone has a favorite machinist forum I'd like a recommendation.

Len

Thanks Matt!!!!  I read your post on my phone just after you put it up.  I made sure to check on that.  When I home it, it moves the Z first.  Not sure what the deal is with goto 0 moving it last.  I'll look into it some more and see if I can change it.  Got some help this afternoon from a local guy......got the home and limits figured out and set some soft stops.  Now that I have a clue, I've got a couple more tweaks to do to get some more work envelope back. 

This thing has tons of grunt.....it would snap an end mill off quite easily..... Thanks again for the heads up!!!

Thanks Matt!!!!  I read your post on my phone just after you put it up.  I made sure to check on that.  When I home it, it moves the Z first.  Not sure what the deal is with goto 0 moving it last.  I'll look into it some more and see if I can change it.  Got some help this afternoon from a local guy......got the home and limits figured out and set some soft stops.  Now that I have a clue, I've got a couple more tweaks to do to get some more work envelope back. 

This thing has tons of grunt.....it would snap an end mill off quite easily..... Thanks again for the heads up!!!

Get into the habit of using the right go to 0 sequence. Just use the Home option if that is the one that sends Z home first or to its Cold Start position. Develop safe habits (as you already have) and your machine will last for a very very long time.  

G91 G28 Z0.0

is a code to send it to the Z cold start on most Fanuc based controls.