Noob 521 Owner

BenFoOw

Hello everyone-

I wanted to take time to introduce myself because I'll probably be asking a lot of questions in the near future.

I just bought my first 69' 521. The previous owner swapped in a KA20 hardbody & automatic transmission. I'll post some pics and updates after I pick up the truck tonight. 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt-

Yup. It's not slipping... it's slipped. When I shift into gear, I can't even feel it engage. Funny thing is when the motor was swapped, the tranny was also swapped. You can see in the pics that the clutch pedal is still there, but the new tranny is an automatic. It turns over and runs. The idle is a little shaky, but I'll clean the carb and fuel filter. For the most part, I'm looking to do mostly direct bolt on upgrades because I'm trying to make this a cost effective as possible and I don't have the tools or space to do any metal work.

Here's what I can tell so far:

- Newer Motor (KA20 according to the PO)

- Automatic tranny (Not sure what kind. I'm going to need help finding a direct bolt on replacement. :confused: )

- Lowering blocks (can't tell how much)

- Bench seat is pretty clean

- Not sure about any electrical (i'll check tomorrow)

I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow. Here are some quick pics. I will post more as progress continues.

Thanks! 

IMG_2073_zps839f9d3b.jpg

P1010094_zpsf9400fb7.jpg

P1010103_zps20880aab.jpg

P1010105_zps27d90103.jpg

P1010100_zpsed2df614.jpg

• Like 2

When I shift into gear, I can't even feel it engage ... the new tranny is an automatic

The usual cause of that is low transmission fluid level. Fill it to the Low mark on the dipstick, and see if it goes into gear. Check it again while engine is running, and make sure its up to Low. Only fill to High after its run for 15 minutes (hot)

The second most common reason is overfull fluid level.

Datsun automatics were tough and don't often go bad.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice truck but also looks like a hacked swap job,what the fuck is that cross member,did they make mthe left side run down longer to clear the exhaust...

Overall by the looks of it, you can make it cherryed out as far as i am concerned.looks good

Yup. The left side does ride lower. What do I need to do to fix that? What is the correct part that will fit?

• Like 1

Update-

Didn't get around to doing much. Adjusted the carb to get it idle a little better. Adjusted the drum brakes. Feels better now. After getting the drums off, I noticed some unusual wear on the fronts. Looks like the drum is grinding down the brake cylinder. The drivers side rear has a lot of dried brake fluid. After getting the drum off, the small tension bar that holds the adjustment screw was missing.

Not much to report, but at least I'm getting my hands dirty.

I'm still having trouble identifying my motor. I'm convinced is a NAPS Z... but 20 or 22?

P6210138_zps7eba4825.jpgP6210139_zps83cb9bfa.jpgP6210143_zpsd1e60a17.jpgP6210156_zps7f09b916.jpg

• Like 1

In between the exhaust outlets is a flat spot pointed up slightly, it will say in a stamped letter and number what it is on that flat spot.

Thanks Wayno. Z20 it is. Didn't see it at first because of oil.

At least now I know that I'm working with... Now to look for a 5 speed tranny.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Thanks Wayno. Z20 it is. Didn't see it at first because of oil.

At least now I know that I'm working with... Now to look for a 5 speed tranny.

Thanks again!

Your Welcome, so now you know what you have, that means you need to look for a transmission from a napZ engine equipped vehicle made after 1980, like a 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 truck, there are others also, like a 1981 200SX , and there are others but I don't know what vehicles the napZ came in, never really cared, it's not an engine that folks convert to normally.

• Like 1

I guess upgraded isn't the right term. I need to get it tuned. It just started smoking on Saturday. I put a little too much oil in it. 

But when I got it, it leaks a lot of oil. I just really need to get a 5 speed installed and go from there. I met a guy from OC that recommends V's automotive in Orange. He was saying that they would love to work on this truck. So I'm going to get it down there and get some pricing on the tranny swap and hopefully work on everything else myself.

Thanks!

• Like 1

The 3N71B has a removable bell housing so any earlier 610/710/S10/A10/620 automatic will work if you swap the bell onto it. To be sure get the flex plate with it. I have three laying around up here.

What color is the transmission fluid???? It should be ruby red and clear. If black it's burnt clutch material. If brown the same and or just that the oil is burnt. Think McDees fryer oil.

I see what looks like the stock rad and 521s did not come with automatics.There should be two coolant lines to a finned cooler, so take a look and see if there is an after market RV auto cooler in front of the rad. If it's been run without a way to shed the heat this is what cooked the trans and it will just repeat this with a new transmission..

• Like 1

The fluid was a little brown. It probably is burning because te radiator doesn't have the coolant lines down on the bottom. It looks like its the original radiator.

I've been adding fluid. I can tell now when it's running low.

• Like 1