Sill plate options?

datsunfreak

If it were that simple, wouldn't it have been done?

I didn't say it was simple.   :rofl:

And honestly, 1200 parts are such a small market in this country, there's no profit in making stuff specifically for 1200s. Anything custom you make for it here would be strictly a labor of love. Now if you market them in Australia...  

In fact, dude in Oz sells aftermarket ones for a 510...  :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DATSUN-NISSAN-BLUEBIRD-510-1600-SILL-ROCKER-INTERIOR-ALUMINIUM-SCUFF-PLATES-/121336392138?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c403669ca&_uhb=1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm pretty sure I can do it, I just need to make a buck/die to make the curve/radius in the metal. That's a fairly big job that'll have to wait until I have the gumption/free time to build it...    :rofl:

Thin soft aluminum will be a lot easier to bend/form than stainless, but stainless would look a lot cooler and be easier to polish and keep pretty. Biggest problem with the soft aluminum the factory uses is that it dents sooooooooo easy. Stainless shouldn't dent anywhere near that easy, but that plus is also what makes it harder to form, so...

Anyone ever seen a metal brake that puts a radius in it instead of a 90 degree bend?   ^_^

We dont need no stinking curves.

22582.jpg

Not the kind of curve I meant.   :rofl:

I mean the radius where it goes over the top of the pinch weld. Starting from the inside bottom it goes straight up, makes a 180 degree radius and goes back down again, then makes a 90 degree sharp turn to the top of the rocker. 

The kick plates on my Sedan are really beat up, so my buddy Mat said I could use his equipment and aluminum sheet at his aircraft shop to make new ones. I have the old plates for a pattern for the Sedan. This is the Driver's kick plate from the Coupe, so I can use this as a pattern also. They won't have the ridges like the factory ones, but they will be straight and dent free. If you want, I will make you a set too. Soon, but not tomorrow. Love playing with Aluminum!

DSCN1953_zps4cc747ff.jpg

Measurements look a little too big? Maybe if they make a smaller version? 

They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes it would be just a matter of finding one that works.    

I still think Aluminum sheet with a bender would be the best way.   Like the member above has suggested.

• 1 month later...

John, (a little late to this party) You could take an existing sill plate and find a piece of steel round bar stock that matches the radii needed.  Clamp it up good, and use that as a radius template to form the aluminum over the bar.

I've not worked with it much, but I understand if you heat aluminum with a torch, it becomes very soft and easy to form.

I made a lot of pieces for my wagon, and have a done a lot of this lately..