front sump sway bar

jeu510

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FutoFab has been working on a 1.125" diameter front sump 510 bar to add to their parts line-up (coming in July).

Here is a pic of a couple prototypes that didn't quite fit (third time is a charm?).

We will be offering a complete line of 510 sway bars, 1.125" stock configuration fronts, .75" sedan rears and .625 wagon rears, all coming in July.

front%20sump%20prototypes%206-14-14.jpg

• Like 7

yeah, the front sump that i have fits, but it just sits really low.

Ryan Family 510

your sway bar is stock. my cross member is flipped for the front sump oil pan from the sr20de motors. thats what i meant my front sump sway bar.

dime dave, i will be looking out for it. just need to make sure it will fit without being too low to the ground. i will have my dime lowered pretty low so i need all the ground clearance in can get. if you can, will you send me a pic of how the sway bar looks on the car with it sitting on all 4 wheels? thanks.

flatcat19, i have used McKinney Motorsports before and forgot how it fit on my other dime, but i do know that they make good quality parts, but they dont fit right. i had a cross member made from them to fit a sr20 in a dime and their sway bar wouldnt fit with that cross member. i dont think the do enough research before putting a part into production.

Here you go a Pic of the final design. This is FutoFab’s 1 1/8” front sump 510 sway bar. It is designed for use with a reversed front cross member.

These and all other 510 bars will be available in July. Check our website for when parts are available.

10288790_319951884829951_105749102906322

10378993_319951911496615_376395288905437

dave,  noticed you have a 2x4 between the pan and the cross member and dont have your mount set up yet. is it gonna be a problem if or when the car is on the ground or if the motor mounts that are used are not the same?  that means that in order to use that sway bar, every motor would have to have atleast that amount of clearance between the cross member and pan right?

i don't have a flipped front cross-member, the PO made it by welding in some (i think 2x2) square tubing, which i think would give me more clearance and would be fine. Do you have a price figured out on them yet? Do they come raw, painted, powdercoated?

The engine is actually a FWD SR16VE and yes that is a 2x4. The sump of the oil pan sits flush with the cross member at that spacing and there is hood clearance. Mounts will need to be custom for this engine as will an adapter plate to a RWD trans (these we did make a run of about 4-5 years ago). One BIG difference with a FWD engine is the pan size, it extends toward the flywheel much further than the RWD engines do.

The larger FWD pan size is part of the reason it took 3 prototypes to get this bar to fit like we wanted it to. The orange prototype bar in my first picture was prototype #1. It used the DGR design as a template, but with a 1 1/8" bar diameter. It was too wide at the drop to clear the cross member and the offset wasn't enough to clear the back of the FWD sump as the bar traveled in suspension bump direction..

We added 1" to the offset and narrowed the offset very slightly. This allows the bar to clear the larger FWD sump and the flipped cross member.

Please note that when we flipped the center section of the cross member, the cuts were made at the very inside edge of the motor mounts to maximize the amount of rearward clearance.

In this case we have tried to maximize the amount of sump clearance with a cross member modification that is easily replicated. We included as much bar offset as the cross member would allow to provide the most sump clearance.