Another oops on ka 521 driveline

So i go down there and see a bunch of oil everywhere, looks like i measured driveline wrong, is that too short?

Is the gap too big?

Its spilling out all the oil, never seen it on driveway, must be spilling when driving

CAM01522_zpsg2lsmj44.jpg

I used the stock ujoints for a one piece driveline, just took off dust cover

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a seal right there where the spline enters the transmission. Part # 32136-U0100 at Nissan for under $10 about half that at NAPA. Pry out the old and tap in the new. Grease before installing d/s so it doesn't start up dry. The 240 trans has a dust shield that hides some of the spline so that may not be too short. You would want at least 4" of spline inside the transmission.

If this is a one piece d/s then there has to be a small amount of space for the shaft to slide in and out as the diff moves under acceleration and braking. If the stock two piece, this back half of the d/s has a slip shaft for this.

I believe you're the same guy I talked to on Facebook.... I had the same problem on my A10 / KA24DE swap...... I thought I knew more than the guys who actually make drivelines for a living so I decided to "give myself some extra room for when I lower my car" ... bad idea.

To properly measure.................

1.) remove driveline flange from rear diff

2.) slide front of shaft completely into tail housing

3.) pull shaft out about 3/8 - 1/2". don't over exaggerate your 3/8 - 1/2" here, that was my problem. (that space you pull out is compensating for the travel like Datzenmike mentioned above.)

4.) put a tape measure on the face of the diff flange mount

5.) measure from the face of the diff to the center of the U-joint (where they meet) on the front of the shaft while the shaft is still pulled out slightly.

Unfortunately, there is no quick or easy repair for a too-short driveline. you will have to get a new one made...

Please be careful, as a too short of driveline can be potentially dangerous to you, or others on the street... I understand you got to do what you got to do to get around town, but change your driving so there is minimal vibration until you get it fixed!

Good luck.

• Like 1

I can speak for that seal. It's just a normal axle seal in there. In the very rear of the tail house. Looks exactly like a CV axle seal in a transaxle. Was going to replace mine but it wasn't leaking.

On the 71C (ka trans) the seal is about.... I'd say 3/4" into the tail housing. so, looking from the side it appear there isn't a seal in there.

I've thought about getting a spacer, but ..... I'm unsure how I feel about it! Seems a little risky, but maybe that's cause I worry about shit like that too much.

I think I'll have a go at one though ... What did you make that out of?

yea i thought of spacer but was unsure of bolts taking the torque, a new driveline is being made now, 3/4 inches longer, gonna give me half an inch of play, im gonna replace the seal, the dude also told me to replace the bushing behind seal, i cant figure out what bushing hes talking about

• Like 1

yea i thought of spacer but was unsure of bolts taking the torque, a new driveline is being made now, 3/4 inches longer, gonna give me half an inch of play, im gonna replace the seal, the dude also told me to replace the bushing behind seal, i cant figurue out what bushing hes talking about

same for me? he said replace the bushing.... WHAT bushing?!

The very rear of the mainshaft is supported in the back of the tailstock. On the F4W71B 4 speed  the bushing can be knocked out and replaced, but in the later FS5W71B and the even later FS5W71C five speeds, the case is machined to be the bushing. If worn out, the rear case has to be replaced. Don't worry about it.

• Like 1

Wow, nice looking truck!

I wish my driveline guy was nice.... He quoted me $225 to lengthen mine a bit today even though I was in there 2 weeks ago and paid him $170 to shorten the damn thing. On second thought I may go with a spacer for now...