z24 Turbo!?!

ITzDarcy

You could get the turbo setup runnin on the z22 and get the bugs worked out while you build the z24 up. Just a thought, as there will be ALOT of bugs to work out and why ruin a fresh rebuild while you are learning...my 2cents

I started my turbo setup on the original l18, them did a stock rebuild and now I have an l20b in it. Made progression on each and the bugs are still getting worked out.

• Like 1
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Z24 will make more power because of increased size. I just like the shorter stroke Z22 is all.

You could get the turbo setup runnin on the z22 and get the bugs worked out while you build the z24 up. Just a thought, as there will be ALOT of bugs to work out and why ruin a fresh rebuild while you are learning...my 2cents

I started my turbo setup on the original l18, them did a stock rebuild and now I have an l20b in it. Made progression on each and the bugs are still getting worked out.

I see, I was wondering because I don't know lol but.. is the Z22 a 2.4l? or 2.2.

And also is it basically what you call a 200sx motor?

If so I'm thinking of maybe buying a timing kit for Z22 and I also checked today to find I only have 8 spark head cyclinders left over and a 4 spark dizzy. I do know of a guy selling a napz dizzy (the same guy I bought my Z18 exhaust manifold off of) but that would cost me probably another $160 to get that here.

So i was thinking would it be ok to use the napz head and just block up the 4 exhaust side spark plug holes? thanks.

If so I will do this until I get my Z24 all spick and span. Should look really good once I do.

Solid advice really.

Hey smoke I hope I didn't become too overwhelming for ya haha, Just wanna say thanks again mate

Z20.... 2.0 liters

Z22.... 2.2 liters

Z24.... 2.4 liters

Here the Z22(S) has a carb and is used only in the '81-'82 720 tricks.

The Z22E has EFI and is only used in the '82-'82 200sx.

The dual plugs allow a very small ignition advance (3-5 degrees) because of the shortened burn time from two ignition sources. I think this would be an advantage on any engine not just one with a turbo. You could start with 4 and work on finding an 8 plug dizzy later.

Hmm great info thanks. I was thinking that about the z22 etc but needed confirmation. I will be taking a few days off this week to head to the city and look for parts for this build and my rodeo. Also have to pick up my d22 rims I bought for it which should look awesome cheers.

Sooo back from perth spent alot of $$$$, had alot of fun with family'n'friends and now back to business. 

Im working late for the next 2 weeks, so I will be playing around with all the bits and pieces trying to piece them together while I work on the engine.
I will be replacing the pistons and bearings, Also brand new timing kit and all new gaskets. 
I bought a ... piston clamp - engine cyclinder hone - torque wrench and also alot of bits and bobs.
I only need a few more tools and I will be set.

IMG_20140710_185147_421.jpg

IMG_20140710_185109_628.jpg

Got a few more things done today.
Got the exhaust manfilld bolted on and the turbo bolted on.
Torqued down the head cylinder and changed new  timing kit and various gaskets. 
Decided not to change pistons just yet maybe another (when they decide to break) sometime in the future I may get my Z22 block bored out to 89mm .. or if cheaper just buy another z24 block for cheap.
Found out that my dump pipe I bought just was going to be too easy if it fit. So I have started to make my own DIY dump-pipe which is proving to be a lot of fun actually, also am able to do this at night time under a light. 
Cheers to all, still going hard here still learning alot.

IMG_20140712_125556_416.jpg

IMG_20140712_125605_761.jpg

I will be looking in to prices for boring out an engine. To see if it will be cheaper to get my z22 block bored out or just looked for another z24 block. Because I did not use my new pistons on this engine after much consideration this engine will be my dummy run engine and will be working on a nice clean and painted engine whilst I have this one running and working on bugs. 

Got pretty much everything to do with the engine on today also installed oil lines for the turbo. Was just about to put the engine back in so I could start working on the intercooler setup and take some measurements for dump pipe and the exhaust when lo and behold I forgot to put the eight hand mounting bracket back on as I removed it for cleaning .... only to find that to oil return line is about 5mm to far to the right. So I will have to modify the bracke before I can set the engine back in. Got a lot done today though but I got defeated by the bracket and gave up for the day.

Also got my lm2 wideband tuner and I have a lot of welding ahead of me. Wish I had a mig or tig welder though.

For the dump pipe though I will be making a crappy mock one so that later on I can make a really nice on and put a bit more effort into it. Cheers - sorry for the post formats but I'm gotta use my phone for a while as my laptop is broke.