78 Sr20det 620 Salvage title to boosted!

5t341tH

Thanks for the help. I was able to get the weber installed. runs good when warmed up but still issues when cold. choke doesn't seem to work? on cold starts, I do see that the choke plate is closed but my idle is really low. have to give it a  pump of the gas to stay idling. shouldn't choke on make the idle high?

anyway, did a few more things:

-carpeted the interior with "office" carpet.

-install an amplifier and subwoofer.

-reindexed my torsion bars.

-changed to new rims and tires to these

20141118_200819.jpg

no pic since its raining currently

• Like 1
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice wheels, not a brand I see to much of.

thanks i had it shipped for me from jdm land. bought it through upgarage.

Anyway stupid me. It was raining like mad for a few days here and I had massive water leaks into the cab. I knew my windshield gasket was bad but damn i had a bucketful of water in there. I went ahead and had the gasket replaced today.

Also removed both fenders today to clear out all the rust I have around the windshield. I do know now that I need a passenger side fender. Found out a have a nice dime size hole in my passenger pillar as well. I guess I will have to do some sheetmetal work...

sorry best picture I could get

20141130_143938.jpg

Also went to the carwash to test out the new gasket and it's okay so far. While on the way home, the engine was making louder than usual noises. I checked the oil and it stinks of gas! I guess the weber is dumping gas? I recently installed it and didn't use a FPR. Do I need one? Or can it be due to just running really rich? Please advise. Thanks

• Like 1

Take pictures of how you setup your Weber.  Vacuum lines & fuel lines.  What fuel pump are you using.  Mechanical or Electric.  Did you adjust the choke?

Webers like about 2.5 to 3.5 pounds fuel pressure.  If you are at a higher fuel pressure it will push past the needle and seat.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help. I was able to get the weber installed. runs good when warmed up but still issues when cold. choke doesn't seem to work? on cold starts, I do see that the choke plate is closed but my idle is really low. have to give it a  pump of the gas to stay idling. shouldn't choke on make the idle high?

anyway, did a few more things:

-carpeted the interior with "office" carpet.

-install an amplifier and subwoofer.

-reindexed my torsion bars.

-changed to new rims and tires to these

there is a fast idle adjustment screw behind the electric choke housing

If you register it as an HISTORIC VEHICLE you won't have to smog it anymore, after the initial registration. I have a 1976 620 with a v6 and have not smogged it for about 6 years. Anything 30 years old and older qualifies. STIPULATION. You are supposed to only drive to shows,parades etc. but I have never been stopped.

Hey all. I started doing my weber 32/36 swap and got a few questions.

Can I hook up the fuel feed using the original hardline? I notice it also has a hard line going back to the fuel return line.

f5066758-6820-4d9b-9ffb-dabd67432d89.jpg

Also can i use this hose as the vacuum advance?

7bcf2050-0775-4abe-a114-0f2c21127754.jpg

there is a fast idle adjustment screw behind the electric choke housing

you can see it directly behind the choke housing

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys. Finally had a chance to snap some oics of my setup. 20141218_161830.jpg

20141218_161849.jpg

this is the idle mix screw. Would it help adjusting for cold starts?

20141218_162032.jpg

I can't flip the fuel outlet because there is the pipe blocking it. The way I have it seems to be okay though. Had to use a hose adapter to change sizes to the stock fuel outlet from the pump

Also I am working on this

20141209_222501.jpg

Q45 headlight projector into the 5.75" housing. Hopefully I can get it mounted. Seems like I have cut the headlight bracket

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I haven't updated in a while.

here's what it is ATM

20150308_164423.jpg

20150120_172906.jpg

My plan to retrofit the Q45 projectors went bust. They are just a bit too big for our headlight. Plus they stick back way too far to be feasible. So I then tried retrofitting morimoto mini d2s into them but them flaked out too. It's impossible to find a clear lens 5.75" headlight that fits into our stock headlight retaining ring.

20150313_202151.jpg

So I went with the typical ellipsoid conversion everyone does

20150309_155121.jpg

Did my first ever paint/repair job on my doors. I welded all the damn holes in the doors. 9 in the drivers and 3 in the passenger. Did a test paint job on the drivers door in a khaki color and decided against it.

20150130_172304.jpg

20150202_171958.jpg

I did figure out that I wanted it red instead. Krylon Red Pepper! So I painted the hood and the cowl. Eventually, it will all be this color. Just practicing on the removal panels first

20150311_172911.jpg

20150311_172921.jpg

Still having issues with my weber dgev carb. It starts fine with no choke, but if I have the choke engaged (plate closed) the car struggles to idle. So I just left the choke fully open all the time. If anyone has any tips, that would be great.

20141026_152416.jpg

Here were my old plugs. How do they look?

20150301_143100.jpg

I did do a compression test on my L20. I'm guessing they are good...too good?

150, 160, 155, 160

I did that ratsun style interior treatment. bought the Useal and carpet padding from home depot and did it all. finished it off with carpet you find in an office

IMG_20140928_160334.jpg

Had a large spot of rust on the front door jam that was rusting through. The old windshield gasket was letting in so much water that I had to get it replaced. The gasket for the antenna was gone so water was leaking into the frame causing it to rust through. I did a rookie metal patch work. My first time ever doing patch panel repairs.

20141228_124905.jpg

20141228_124853.jpg

Eventually finished and I am pretty proud of myself with the results

20150313_204651.jpg

Also found a local (rare) that had a 620 that he was parting out. grabbed a set of fenders from him that were decent shape. Mine were all rusted and thick in bondo. Only problem was his fenders were missing the bottom portion in the front.

20150225_071124.jpg

20150225_071113.jpg

So I had to use the old ones off my original fenders and riveted them on. One of the pieces was covered in 10mm thick of bondo. Was fun taking a hammer to it and knocking it all off

20150309_130357.jpg

Heres the results

20150309_155136.jpg

20150309_155148.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully I can do more painting this weekend. Planning to smooth out the fenders with a bit of bondo and paint them as well!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey guys I need help! tried removing my water pump to check the condition and it looked fine. So I put it back together and now it leaks out of the upper left side bolt/hole. The long bolt that stays attached to the water pump when removed. I tried turning the bolt more, but it still leaks. What can I do/use to stop the leak? I used a new gasket and also silicone on the gasket. Do I need to goop that silicone on more so it can seal?

• Like 1

If theres a gasket already and it leaks, ya I would just silicone(RTV) it. Apply. Bolt snug. Let it dry. Then torque it to spec.

EDIT: just read u already applied silicone. I just hope u let it cure before u torqued to spec

• Like 1

How deep are the threads there? 

With your choke, it is not adjusted correctly. With the truck cold you want to crack the 3 screws loose on the black choke cover on the right. Then rotate the cover, top to the rear, until you have about 1/4" gap between the choke butterflies and the carb housing to the front of the carb. Then tighten the 3 screws back up.

Your currently choking the carb completely and not allowing any air at all into the motor. It needs a little air in there to make fire. :)

20141026_152416.jpg

• Like 1

Well I have worst news now. I cranked that bolt too much and it snapped off in there. Now I need to try and get it out. Tried drilling into it and see if it would come out but no luck.

Thanks for the tip on the choke, I will try it when I can get the truck running again. So does the choke close over time or does it open up?

• Like 1