Powerless 280z

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignition module dead on high side.  Have it tested.  It only tests for low and high on the matchbox modules.  You can idle just fine if low is good.

Alright I'm totally lost on this one. 78 280z idles beautifully but has no power in gear (5-10 horsepower tops). New distributor, fuel filter, fuel pump, and injectors. Also it puffs smoke in high rpm. Any ideas??

rebuild...... leaks everywhere, my guess or hopefully just the carb

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delayed response! The MAF opens and is functional, the problems started when I purchased the car and persisted after buying the new parts, It's fuel injected so I'm assuming it's not the carb, the smoke is white-ish, the wheels roll freely and the transmission isn't low. However, I removed the MAF and the throttle body to check and clean them up and found a hose under the intake running from the block to the intake manifold that held together with electrical tape and full of holes. upon inspection I found that the hose was also blocked up with solidified oil. Might this thing be the problem??

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hopefully you guy got your ride fixed by now but for future reference...

Mine was doing the same things. Smooth idle rev'd ok, no power under load. Breaks-ck, fuel filter-ck, fuel pressure-ck, do you really have fuel-ck.

Wtf?????

The battery had a dead cell. Wasn't giveing the ignition system enough power under load but enough to idle great. Never thought of it before. The z needs a good battery in the system to run well even with a good alt.

Hope it saves some future headaches.

-Brian

• 2 months later...

also, for others who might come across this post looking for answers, i had a similar problem.
and im surprised im the first to post this, but clean out that gas tank!, i looked down in mine and it looked like just a small amount of rust, but after sticking a rod down in the tank it went into what i thought was the bottom about 3/4 of an inch!

nothing but decomposed rust and debris, sludge and all kinds of other good stuff.

Cleaned it out, replaced the pump, filter, and threw and extra filter in front of the pump for safety measures. Havnt had an issue since.