New Datsun, '79 210 Wagon

Toast424

Hello Ratsun. I just picked up my second Datsun on Friday. It’s a 1979 210 wagon with only 89K on it. Over the last 10 years the PO only put 50 or so miles on it. She only drove it down the street to the store a couple times a month. After a good clean of the interior (mildew smell sucks), I will be using it as a daily driver and slowly get the body ready for some paint. Also I plan on doing the 280zx suspension/brake swap, 6 spoke z wheels and maybe some day/month/year a engine swap.

rzcjq.jpg

cy2v.jpg

bvui.jpg

f9gd.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pics

Why swap the struts? The 280ZX wheels fit right on the stock 210.

If you want to even up the track, use Nissan ball joints 40160-H7400. It will then be the same track as the 280ZX struts Or fit 15mm spacers on the back is another way. Wider track is better.

I was under the belief that swapping to the zx struts gave you better brakes as well.  I am a certified welder so doing the modification should be easy. I am new to the 210 and still learning.

Welding is not required for the swap.

Unless you plan on racing/track days etc.. you will not require the zx swap. Sure the zx pads may last the rest of the life of your car but the stock ones work well If maintaned correctly

Just stick with what ya got and be a happy Datsun owner.  :)

Swaping the brakes is a trend thing, fad, whatever you want to call it.  You don't have an in-line 6 cyl with dual carb pumping that little 1 ton car, so going with better brakes would be a waste.  If you swapped the engine with something more dangerous, then DEFINITELY swap the strut housings and brakes.  Other than that it is like having 18 inch carbon ceramic discs and pads on any year Honda, lol.  Either way, you got a sweet 210 wagon, and I cannot wait to see all of the pics you are going to post, hint hint,  as you build your goon.  Peace Brother.

Keep us posted. I have done the 280z struts and highly recommend them. The brakes are far superior, and that is one area that can not be too good. .......It's not like 280zx brakes are the greatest things in the world anyway, just a ton better....

• Like 1

Im just saying that it seems like more of a myth to NEED to swap better brakes on such a low horsepower vehicle.  Sure better brakes means better brake distance, but not necessary unless you are rockin under that hood.  Also, what i hear the absolute most from Datsun guys is- Z brakes, Z strut swap, etc.  Just seems hyped up.  Anyway, just my opinion.  If it is not necessary, then why is it done?  Not calling anyone out, just curious, because I am a long time Datsun lover first time owner and the more info I can absorb from you seasoned veterans the better I can build my car, and pass the great knowledge on. 

-Octavio

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your input. I neglected to mention that I do have some desire to get involved with autocross in this vehicle. So the brake upgrade will help in that arena. Also sometime down the road I will swap to a l20b (easy motor swap) or a rotary if I feel ambitious. I still have alot of research to do before I make that decision.

Right now, I will enjoy the car as is.

• Like 1

If it is not necessary, then why is it done?  

I don't do it for the bigger brakes. I do it for...

...a shorter strut housing (better for a lowered car), a better scrub radius, and better parts availability.  :thumbup:

Better braking is just a nice side benefit.  B)

It also narrows the front track width a bit so you can fit the same offset wheels all the way around (i.e deeper "dish", more aggressive offset). Which is important to me, but not every one obviously. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked a 5-speed transmission and all the necessary pieces to swap out my auto for a manual.  Let me know if there is any interest in my 3-speed auto. I would rather give/sell it to some one here than return if for the core charge at picknpull.   Stay tuned I will be post pics of the swap as soon as the clutch kit arrives.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I am going to play the antagonist here.

B210,s were designed to handle speeds of 55 MPH not 75 + MPH (which requires a much stronger braking force). Second all a bigger engine or more horse power does is get you to speed quicker, once to the desired speed (no matter how long it takes you) we all have the same distance to stop.... Third we are sharing the road with current brake technology, even the entry level cars can stop on a dime. With the cars in front of you stopping effectively and quicker than our Datsun "B's" were designed to.

With that knowledge I would think we all want are "B's" using the best brakes available for them. Especially with it being a bolt on affair and fairly reasonable for cost.

Check your facts. B210 was designed prior to and first sold in 1973 . In 1974 the speed limit was typically 75 MPH. In March 1974 the National Maximum Speed Law came into effect.

So because 75 mph, Nissan gave the North American B210 larger brakes than the japan-market B210 (245mm vs 212 mm rotors).

Still stopped slow. A minivan stops much much quicker than a B210. So while its not required to fit better brakes, its a smart move.

can someone give me the specs on doing this with my 81 b310? what modifications are involved, and can i run my 13" slot mags on it?

The search button is your friend.   B)

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/55399-280zx-strut-installation/

And no, you will not be able to run 13" slot mags. 

Now let's not hijack this guy's thread, mkay?   ^_^

• Like 2