Ka24de L series??

ok so its not what you thought, but look at this pic...

ka24de1999frontier.jpg

its not your "typical" KA twincam, I haven't looked at KAs enough to know how the oil pumps are attached but this one has it in typical L series fashion, AND I know that KA twin cammers don't normally have the dizzy driven off the oil pump like this one and like L series are, but here it is.

So why is this significant?? DUH!! Slap a L series dizzy in it and carb the mother...

Matter of fact! maybe it could be used to build a twin cam L series...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebello built a Hybrid motor recently like this. Used a Z24 block and KA head. Supposedly good for 300hp+ on race gas.

details from the ad:

I have a Rebello built 2.5 Hybrid motor that naturally aspirated should produce close to 300hp(according to Rebello). It is comprised of a modified 12-valve KA24 head, Nap-Z24 block, and uses exterior L-series components making it a ideal 510 transplant. It was built to Rebello's earlier 2001 GT3-240sx tube-frame race car spec's, which used side-drafts carbs for fuel. It comes with 0 miles, receipts,45mm Delorto's, special built manifold, S&S Header/merge collector

http://picasaweb.google.com/kevgib2

Rebello built a Hybrid motor ...It is comprised of a modified 12-valve KA24 head

Thats a single cam

as for the engine above, it was listed on here, but the old CL ad dropped off

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=6070

For now it can be found here

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/834075246.html

It's a frontier engine, and yes it is far more similar to the Ls than the car KADEs

Sooo yeah! Here is what I found....

fgfg.jpg[/img]

and distributors for the KADE!!!!!! http://www.clasificados.co.cr/busqueda.php

But I have not seen an engine up close... But if what I'm hearing is true... These dual overhead cam engines come with distributors and with exterenal oil pumps... If not... Then we now know were to get brand new KA'S!!!!!:D

yes, its a Frontier engine and yes its a mexican made engine. Its been posted about here quite abit, just not this specific title. It still uses an OBD2 diameter dizzy, which means its bigger than the L-series front cover hole. It also uses the splined style drive and not the tab style like l-series. I think the onle place you can get dizzy's for these engines thats not ecu controlled would be saudi arabia, where they still run carbs. kks_john and I have been working on modifying some L-series dizzies to work on these engines but I have been pretty busy with other peoples projects.

All the frontier engine is a SOHC block, custom front cover(similar to altima), with 240sx DE features(girdle, piston squirters, dual cams). Also, all truck KA's were built in mexico since day one. peace.

Picture264.jpg

Picture266.jpg

Picture265.jpg

Picture267.jpg

Picture269.jpg

all the ka's i've seen have that l series looking oil pump.. inface we can put them on our l motors just gotta use the l series shaft i believe.. also fwd stanzas comes with ka's but the dizzy is cam drivin an i believe pretty much most the ka's i've seen had dizzys.. altho some had custom coil pack cas things

all the ka's i've seen have that l series looking oil pump.. inface we can put them on our l motors just gotta use the l series shaft i believe.. also fwd stanzas comes with ka's but the dizzy is cam drivin an i believe pretty much most the ka's i've seen had dizzys.. altho some had custom coil pack cas things

The 240sx twin cam motors had the dizzy driven off of the cam.

i see.. altho im sure the block was still tapped for a regular dizzy tho ?? or someone coulda put a twim cam head on a single cam block or something never know these days.. i would put one in my truck but it seems to be more of a PITA then its worth.. maybe one day when i can get ahold of what i know is a good running engine an tranny ect i will doit but prolly wont be any time soon

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!! I need to go to Mexico to take some pix's!!!!!! There is this new truck that is not a Frontier.... It is called Nissan Camiones which means Nissan Trucks. Supposedly these have a new engine, KAde? I just cant find any pics but the older engines "bottom".... These new trucks come in Diesel and gasoline engines. :unsure:

Here is an early KA truck engine:

13418135_7.jpg

2000-2007 KA truck engine:

13573597_4.jpg

New engine from Nissan Camiones: ????? http://www.nissancamiones.com.mx/

Nismopu what about this distributor? http://www.clasificados.co.cr/detalle.php?id=92395

i see.. altho im sure the block was still tapped for a regular dizzy tho ?? or someone coulda put a twim cam head on a single cam block or something never know these days.. i would put one in my truck but it seems to be more of a PITA then its worth.. maybe one day when i can get ahold of what i know is a good running engine an tranny ect i will doit but prolly wont be any time soon

kiznook was correct... its just the first time i paid attention to a frontier ka24de. also nismopu was correct in the fact that the timing cover is different than the 240sx (allowing for the oil pump driven dizzy, no holes in the block). The install is not that difficult, its almost a bolt in affair... haven't you read Icehouse's KA install yet? Far easier than even a 510... and with the L series lineage being clearly shown here I don't see any reason NOT to do a KA (other than just not wanting to).

The only question for me is, do I want to put one in the 620 or the 521? :D

ya me and nismopu were fuckin around with his old ka 620 quite a bit.. it wasnt too hard really but next time i do anything like that i want to have everything on hand that i may need.. hey i thought FI engines required a different gas tank then carbed engines is this true?? also hey kyle what tranny did u use for that? wasnt it a truck tranny? did u have to have a custom drive shaft for that i forget.. ?

What is the draw to running a distributor and carbs?

I wonder that too? You would not need the ECU and have to do very little rewiring, right?

My inexperience make me fear computers in cars, this sounds pretty sweet.

What intake manifold would you have to use to get this to work w/ a carb though?

fuel injection really isnt that much wiring when you have the proper harness. most ecu's just need power and ground. the rest is based out of the factory harness you would grab from a donor. even the dizzy is part of that harness in some occasions. i havent checked out a ka harness, but when i get one one day ill find out!

What is the draw to running a distributor and carbs?

Fair question slodat, it would make the swap a little less complicated, theres lots of people who fear wiring of any kind, also less down time... lets say you just want the truck DE motor... to play with, don't want to run the OBD2 setup and don't want to wait for all the 240sx stuff to come up.

Or maybe a guy just likes carbs, I mean seriously theres lots of reasons, just like theres lots of reasons to go FI. I like both, but I don't want to go OBD2... I'd have to get lucky enough to find the 94 240sx parts (intake mani, wiring, computer, CAMS, etc...)

I wonder that too? You would not need the ECU and have to do very little rewiring, right?

My inexperience make me fear computers in cars, this sounds pretty sweet.

What intake manifold would you have to use to get this to work w/ a carb though?

The best part of the frontier DE motor if want to go carbed, its throttle body sit on top of the intake manifold like a carb... easy to adapt a quick and dirty setup to that, weber 38 outlaw and call it good!

The best part of the frontier DE motor if want to go carbed, its throttle body sit on top of the intake manifold like a carb... easy to adapt a quick and dirty setup to that, weber 38 outlaw and call it good!

Sweet! Now if only this would bolt right on to L16 motormounts in a 521! It wouldn't, would it?:confused:

Sweet! Now if only this would bolt right on to L16 motormounts in a 521! It wouldn't, would it?:confused:

For that info... you'll have to refer here; http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=40 Icehouse is the MAN, and the frontier motor bolts in the exact same as the d21 motor. If you can't weld, you can still use Icehouse's method for lining up the motor mounts, mark them where you want them joined pull them back out and take them to someone who can weld, now it IS bolt in... :D

My Ka bolted right into where the old L motor sat but it was too high so thats why Icehouse cut his to lower it some.

It doesn't matter what its called in mexico, its still called a frontier here or also known as the D22 worldwide.

Those links show a dizzy for a d21 and its a pic of an ECU controlled dizzy, note the encoder wheel for the CAS.

You would have to get in contact with that guy who posts on here sometimes from Saudi Arabia for a non ecu controlled dizzy.

Also, you can use a KA oil pump just fine on a L-series engine, it moves a whole bunch more oil, it shares identical dimensions to the L-28et oil pump but I believe the l28et runs a higher pressure spring. peace.