510 SR20de Tachometer Options

Is there a simple way to adapt the stock 510 tachometer to function with an SR20de?  I'm new to the whole individual ignition coil setups and I have also read that with the de-t you can fry the ecu by hooking up the tach to the ecu tach output, however, I have not found a lot of information on the NA SR.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you have a factory tach, the tach signal from the ECU will not work. The OE tach is designed to be connected in series to the coil and therefore has only 2 wires. One in, one out to the coil.

Modern tachs have power, ground and signal connections that would work with the ECU.

• 2 weeks later...

iwayman...i also have a sr20de in my dime. there is a signal wire at the ecu that goes to the tach itself. i tried hooking it up to the factory tach. it does work, but doesnt seem like its correct as it reacts too slow. the factory tach i have does need power to it too. there are 3 wires that come from the factory tach. one is the signal wire, the other is for lighting, and the 3rd, i cannot figure out. looks like it could be ground, but it doesnt do anything when i ground it when the tach is hooked up.

update...i have now figured out how to hook up factory tach. mine in my 510 is the white needle..dont know the difference between the red and white, but i got mine to work. there is a black wire with red tracer coming from the distributor going to the ecu that needs to be cut so you can hook up the two white wires from the tach inline with it. once that is hooked up, the black wire at the tach is ground, green wire is power and the other green wire with tracer is the power for the light. (forget which green wire is for the lights, but it wont do any damage if its hooked up wrong)

• 4 months later...

iwayman...i also have a sr20de in my dime. there is a signal wire at the ecu that goes to the tach itself. i tried hooking it up to the factory tach. it does work, but doesnt seem like its correct as it reacts too slow. the factory tach i have does need power to it too. there are 3 wires that come from the factory tach. one is the signal wire, the other is for lighting, and the 3rd, i cannot figure out. looks like it could be ground, but it doesnt do anything when i ground it when the tach is hooked up.

update...i have now figured out how to hook up factory tach. mine in my 510 is the white needle..dont know the difference between the red and white, but i got mine to work. there is a black wire with red tracer coming from the distributor going to the ecu that needs to be cut so you can hook up the two white wires from the tach inline with it. once that is hooked up, the black wire at the tach is ground, green wire is power and the other green wire with tracer is the power for the light. (forget which green wire is for the lights, but it wont do any damage if its hooked up wrong)

Forgot I made this thread from back in June.  Curious if this still working out for you as again, I've heard hooking up the stock tachometer to the ecu output can fry the ecu.  I'm tempted to save up for some Speedhut gauges as they were pretty great in my vg dime.