620 drum brake replacement problem

I feel very foolish for this but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I replaced the shoes and cylinder and rubber line and went to put the actual dum on and the pads won't allow it to go on. Almost like there's too much meat on them. This is what I've tried:

Disassembly and reassembly

Flipping a shoe upside down(as seen in pic)

Pushing in piston in caliper

Swapping shoe sides

Forcing the drum on

None of these worked and I'm stuck now please help

3AEB5B3A-3608-47EB-9D52-708162EB207A_zps

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the shoes against your old ones. I just had this issue on my b210, shoes were a different length than the old ones

these are linear comparisons, as you can see there is no difference in size... or from what i can tell

IMG_0961_zps6e8a0c63.jpg

IMG_0960_zpsf2959389.jpg

Also.'though unlikely. look closely and be sure you didn't put the 2 leading and 2 trailing shoes on the same axels!

how do i tell the difference?

great time for a conversion to discs

got a link to conversion parts?

Hard to tell for sure in the pic, but it looks to me like the cylinder is not completely compressed.

its as compressed as i could get it...

3AEB5B3A-3608-47EB-9D52-708162EB207A_zps

The definition sucks. It says the front shoe is the leading shoe ... that's like saying affirmative is yes.

Another said the leading shoe lining is always longer that the trailing.

Still another defines it as the shoe pushed by the wheel cylinder in the direction of rotation. I like that one, and in the picture above ... looks like front passenger side so clockwise rotation. The front or right shoe is the leading. But if the wheel cylinder were at the bottom the leading shoe would be to the left or rear. Correct??

In the past I have found that the linings are the same length but clocked or located differently on the shoe. Either closer or farther from the wheel cylinder.

i cant really tell if theres a difference in size, but theres definitely a difference in pad placement. it also looks as if the tab at the end on the shorter edge sticks out some, where on the other one its almost, if not, flush.

I was just looking at this again.....

Look closely at the shoes in my pic.  The left side is the front.  Try putting your shoes on so that the pads are in a similar orientation.  It looks like the front one(right side in the pic) needs to be flipped over. 

EDIT:  Looks like mine are reversed.  Look at this factory manual pic.  Orient the pads on the shoes like it.  The end with the double holes goes down in all cases.....I believe. 

Picture0001.jpg

So it looks like your rear shoe needs to be flipped, such that the side we are seeing is up against the backing plate and put it in the front position.  Two holes will be down and pad will be down.  Take the shoe you have on the front and rotate it 180degrees, but keep the side we're looking at out.  Two holes will be at the bottom and the pad will be at the top.

It looks to me that you (the original poster) have the rear shoe in front and upside-down, and the front shoe on the rear and backwards.

So, you'll have to take both off.  Flip the one in front over so the 2 holes are down, and put in the rear position.  The one on the rear just needs to be faced the right way (also with the 2 holes down) and put in the front position.

The driver's side will be a mirror of that.  The box should have come with 4 shoes, 2 pairs identical to each other.  The ones with the 2 holes on the narrow end always goes on the rear position, and the one with the 2 holes on the wide end goes on the front position.  2 holes is always down. 

At least that's how I remember it.

• 1 month later...

I was just looking at this again.....

Look closely at the shoes in my pic.  The left side is the front.  Try putting your shoes on so that the pads are in a similar orientation.  It looks like the front one(right side in the pic) needs to be flipped over. 

EDIT:  Looks like mine are reversed.  Look at this factory manual pic.  Orient the pads on the shoes like it.  The end with the double holes goes down in all cases.....I believe. 

Picture0001.jpg

Not to thread jack, but where can I find the rest of this diagram? I tried a couple of searches on brake grease points, got nothing.