5-speed Lowest 1st gear ratio

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a 720 4x4 Transmission. There are quite a few differences in the tail casting. Pics.

720 Transmission on the left.                                                                     620 Transmission with Z bell swapped on the right

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

Im a little confused about your pic.  I was under the impression the 720 4x4 transmission was around 26.5 inches long.  That's why it was a good donor to swap into the 521's because they come with the short A series? monkey motion trans.  So is the trans on the right an early 620 trans with a z bell?  Not good enough to look at the pics and figure it out.

thanks

Jeff

edit.   Found my answer.  I somehow convinced myself that all 720 4x4's had short tail transmissions.  Wish I had known this.

2eDeYe" post="1141212" timestamp="1410453032"]

Is it possible to swap the tail housings on these?  ^

IMG_1888.jpg

Between 5 speeds it will. You will loose the use of the reverse lock out feature (reverse check sleeve). You will need to swap the speedo pinion too, I think.The center adapter plate mounting bolts may be different length so use what works.

I swapped an '85 720 diesel tail onto an older '79 280zx 5 speed. I did this to get the different shift lever pin height that allows a true short shift pattern without shortening the shifter. The old speedo pinion wouldn't work so I modified it by cutting a new key way for the hold down clip.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

IMG_1888.jpg

Between 5 speeds it will. You will loose the use of the reverse lock out feature (reverse check sleeve). You will need to swap the speedo pinion too, I think.The center adapter plate mounting bolts may be different length so use what works.

I swapped an '85 720 diesel tail onto an older '79 280zx 5 speed. I did this to get the different shift lever pin height that allows a true short shift pattern without shortening the shifter. The old speedo pinion wouldn't work so I modified it by cutting a new key way for the hold down clip.

It looks like I can do this mod to the 720 trans. What did you do to the shifter? My shifter has a plastic deal in it, should I throw the plastic away, weld up the hole and drill a new pivot?

On mine I had about 8 different shifters laying around. One had the cup bushing on the ball further away from that cross pin than the others. It happened to fit the dieselpbart on the shifter. This raised the fulcrum point about 1/2" and this shortens the travel but no the shifter length. Nothing worse than reaching down and feeling around for one that's been cut off shorter. I'll post some pictures when I get home. I liove it. The shifter is up beside the steering wheel but doesnt place you knuckles in the dash in 1.3 and 5 and isn't beside you in 2 4 and R

shifters002Large.jpg

The one on the far right has a longer shaft with the bearing cup on the bottom. BTW this style you can remove the plastic side bushings and the spring inside and flip them upside down to move the hole higher. These things...

720shifter004Large.jpg

Just pop out and invert. I wouldn't weld up the old holes just drill new ones.

This is the pin height on the '79 zx trans...

5speedfor710goon010Large.jpg

This is the pin height on the 720 diesel trans...

5speedfor710goon012Large.jpg

Could go even higher, and drill holes, if I were to weld some length into the part on the shift lever below the pin.

......N......

2....4....R

becomes this...

......N......

2....4....R

Does not change the sideways spacing only the front to back. I find it more just bending your wrist to shift rather than pulling your arm back

• Like 1