1972 510, Orange Turd

why don't you see if motor runs first with out pulling it.

Crankit over? trouble shoot it. open the valve cover

Why I say this cause if you don't have a good wiring as you say your not going to know whats bad or not. Butting in a rebuilt motor 5 months from now isn't going to help trouble shooting the wiring.

If you have compression you know the mechanics are at least good.

Yeah I seen the kornipli interior. About stupid I say.

most people can fit the old hood latch cables but good to see they still around. I thought NLA.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why I say this cause if you don't have a good wiring as you say your not going to know whats bad or not. Butting in a rebuilt motor 5 months from now isn't going to help trouble shooting the wiring.

most people can fit the old hood latch cables but good to see they still around. I thought NLA.

yeah i will go over it and do anything and everything to get it running, if i dont have to pull and rebuild i will be fucking stoked!! the panels would be livable if not for the cut outs, they are pretty embarrassing.  New Datsun Parts in Canada has lots of NOS parts, not cheap though.  I read a thread on here where somebody just repaired the cable for super cheap but i figured if i could get it i would.  Depending how fucked up the harness is i may go with and EZ harness and just redo the whole car.  

Don't trip Hainz.......I got this......

Once I get back from Canby..............it's on!!

....................with lots of oics!!!!

• Like 1

Those EZ harness arent so EZ.

Busta Nut I hope you got this as this is a nice car.

I seen Enthusiasim before with No results

yeah send those alum panels to the recycler

thats car is clean on outside. I wouldnd even add a airdam ,looks so clean

I'm gonna look into what's burned up before just replacing the whole harness......

..........besides.......I'm not entirely sure but isn't the 68 harness a little different than the rest??....wire colors??.....connectors??

As far as the engine.......first thing is to yank the valve cover off.......see if a valve is stuck open....rocker pad fell off.....seat dropped........

.........................whatever is causing that cylinder to not build compression...........

He is VERY excited.......as am I...........it's a super clean car and we have to get it back on the road ASAP..........

He stoked and doesn't even know what he's missing........he's been driving VWs for christ's sake :rofl:  :rofl: .......sorry......had to take a shot.....

Tuesday after I get back from Canby.............it's ON!!!!

• Like 1

I'm gonna look into what's burned up before just replacing the whole harness......

..........besides.......I'm not entirely sure but isn't the 68 harness a little different than the rest??....wire colors??.....connectors??

Im no expert on 68 wire harness. all I know they are funky and I ask ICEHOUSE if I had a 68. As hes more expert on 68s.

As far as the engine.......first thing is to yank the valve cover off.......see if a valve is stuck open....rocker pad fell off.....seat dropped........

.........................whatever is causing that cylinder to not build compression...........

Yes do that!!!!!!! worst case bolt another head on there. do the slack side chain guide and tensioner if you have to open the front cover.

VWs????????

I like the old school VWs bugs and Things

If you have power to the coil with key ON and the Start wire to starter you can get this running no matter what other proplems there are with wiring.

Im no expert on 68 wire harness. all I know they are funky and I ask ICEHOUSE if I had a 68. As hes more expert on 68s.

Yes do that!!!!!!! worst case bolt another head on there. do the slack side chain guide and tensioner if you have to open the front cover.

VWs????????

I like the old school VWs bugs and Things

If you have power to the coil with key ON and the Start wire to starter you can get this running no matter what other proplems there are with wiring.

PO had bypassed the harness to start the car, there is a switch under the dash you flip so the starter and coil get power and then it does start just runs really ruff and wants to die....

• 2 weeks later...

Well got an ok look at her yesterday.....somebody really hacked this engine in.....

Started with a compression test.....1 & 4 were ok, #2 had 0...3 had 70......

Leakdown  showed leaks at intake AND exhaust valves.....

Took the valve cover off to check valve lash since the PO obviously had NO idea what he was doing........ALL of them were tight.....

................the ones with no or little compression were just stuck open.....

IMG_7953_zpsb8a3f7c4.jpg

IMG_7954_zps5cba2c1e.jpg

found a head light switch next to the battery made of some switch from another car......more oics later this week.....

For now.....she's running much better......brought the timing down from 43 to 24.....it's all she would go....

...............oil pump/distributor might be in wrong......vacuum advance is also missing....it should be there considering it still has points......

No parking lights........more and more to find I'm sure......

IMG_7952_zpsf31717d6.jpg

.............stay tuned.

• Like 3

Oil pump dist. reseal and adjustment.......

Are the cams supposed to be in the same spot as an L16??.....cause this don't look right to me.....

IMG_7976_zps021eacca.jpg

We don't need this shit......

IMG_7983_zps0469d29d.jpg

IMG_7984_zpsbd7bbf74.jpg

You learn something new every day......L20 dist have this lump on them that needs to be ground down so the pertronix kit fits..........

IMG_7985_zpsc6fa328d.jpg

Found a new seal.....

IMG_7987_zps92754fe5.jpg

Heli-coil......

IMG_7989_zpsf71c1ef1.jpg

IMG_7990_zps45265d2d.jpg

All back together..........

IMG_7991_zpsd82adaf6.jpg

ordering T3 cross member today!!! once that is in then taking it to get custom exhaust put on..... After that i guess it will be new side draft carb kit..  When i can afford it  :rofl:

Don't forget to buy the camber plate upper hat system like did. Good to see some progress keep it up meng.

Don't forget to buy the camber plate upper hat system like did. Good to see some progress keep it up meng.

Camber Plate? u talking about for coilovers??

i just got the T3 crossmember for the transmission to replace the :poop:  one the PO hacked together  :w00t:

also just bought a Weber 40 dcoe conversion kit to replace my  :poop: leaky downdraft carb..................going to be a drivable car in the very near future...........i am going to need Busta to tune this up for me with his expert skills  :thumbup:

• Like 2

Don't know about expert ....but we'll get'er dun...... :thumbup:  :thumbup:

He's talking about the top of the strut......the plates I have on mine at an angle......if you can.....it's highly recommended.....

• Like 1

Don't know about expert ....but we'll get'er dun...... :thumbup: :thumbup:

He's talking about the top of the strut......the plates I have on mine at an angle......if you can.....it's highly recommended.....

Yeah that's what I thought, camber plates and strut caps.. I need to buy ur 510 struts withs coilovers and then get camber plates.....

Moar LOW!!!!