Ray's Volk Racing Mesh 3 piece Restoration.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That pic mislead me, I thought you had the simple center caps, you have the special shaped ones, those may be the same model as mine actually. But mine dont have the holes for the center cap mounting parts. Craigslist? damn, thats awesome. Good price?

Yeah I picked them up for 500.. I think t was pretty good

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got off the phone with Berkshire Plating in MA. They already finished my bolts and shipped them out without me even paying for them!!!!

Now THAT is customer service. They are invoicing me for the costs, they ran a little north of what I was expecting but not much, $220 vs $175, no big deal, I sent them 440 bolts.

Now my debate is what I should do to the inner barrel, I am debating on either Cerakote or Powdercoating them. Cerakote is a really nice finish but i believe its a bit more pricey than powder.

WOW!!!!! I'm happy to see things are working out for you man. 

I would personally be inclined towards powder coating, as it always looks gorgeous, but I don't think you can go wrong at this point.

I wont powdercoat bolts, the coating doesnt last on hardware. And apparently from what I have found out, true "black chrome" is actually kind of ugly. That is what the plating company told me, and they have been doing it for 25 years, he reccomended I use the electroless nickel process instead.

How did the assembly go? I would think that powder coating and even plating would increase the O.D. Of the bolts threads, possibly making it difficult or worse to thread on the nuts. Any problem with such?

Can't wait to see pics with them mounted up.

Wow, those are some spendy bolts.

I havent assembled the wheels yet, I am powdercoating the inner barrels first to make everything perfect. The bolts are plated at .00025 thickness. Yes they are some pricey bolts, this lot of 440 cost me a total of about $300 including the bolts, which is about $1.46 per bolt, much much cheaper than Ace Hardware.

I got 3 sizes done,

M5x40 (shanked

M6x30

M6x40 (shanked)

M8x35

If anyone needs some grade 12.9 hardware that will not rust, let me know.

I wont powdercoat bolts, the coating doesnt last on hardware. And apparently from what I have found out, true "black chrome" is actually kind of ugly. That is what the plating company told me, and they have been doing it for 25 years, he reccomended I use the electroless nickel process instead.

I havent assembled the wheels yet, I am powdercoating the inner barrels first to make everything perfect. The bolts are plated at .00025 thickness. Yes they are some pricey bolts, this lot of 440 cost me a total of about $300 including the bolts, which is about $1.46 per bolt, much much cheaper than Ace Hardware.

I got 3 sizes done,

M5x40 (shanked

M6x30

M6x40 (shanked)

M8x35

If anyone needs some grade 12.9 hardware that will not rust, let me know.

Just got off the phone with Berkshire Plating in MA. They already finished my bolts and shipped them out without me even paying for them!!!!

Now THAT is customer service. They are invoicing me for the costs, they ran a little north of what I was expecting but not much, $220 vs $175, no big deal, I sent them 440 bolts.

Now my debate is what I should do to the inner barrel, I am debating on either Cerakote or Powdercoating them. Cerakote is a really nice finish but i believe its a bit more pricey than powder.

I was referring to the barrels  :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

7E52E602-CBE2-4E70-9E39-8FF197D60E3B_zps

I ordered a tube of Dow Corning 832 to seal the halves. It should be here this week.

I also ordered a set of Nitto Neogens for them in 205/50-15 which should be here on Thursday.

I have spent a great deal of time on these wheels at this point and am very happy to mount them on the car finally. All I need to take care of now is valve stems and lug nuts, both of which have easy solutions. Once these go on the Maxima, it looks like my next project will be a set of SSR Reverse Mesh in 15x8 15x8.5.I also picked up another pair of Volk Racing Mesh in 14x7 on Sunday that I will be rebuilding someday.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Nice work on the wheels mate! 

I am sad to say, but I am glad it is not just here in Australia where automotive shops tell you one time frame and do whatever they feel like with no repercussions, it is a real issue, awesome to see you got it sorted in the end though!

I am about to do a set of my own Rays Volk Racing Mesh wheels including rebarrelling out to about 11 or 11.5".  I was wondering if you have any bolts left you are looking to offload, I have chrome at the moment with white centres but that will be changing and I am thinking about going black

I may end up needing two sets, as I am building one huge set, and one street-able set...

Cheers, Andy

• 8 months later...

great work!! i just bought a set but mine only say Volk on the front. i'm trying to find more info on them but slow to discover anything. they also dont have center caps, do you know where to locate something  like that?  i also see your bolts are metric. mine are standard. 3/8 -24x1 1/2.

• 2 weeks later...