Ray's Volk Racing Mesh 3 piece Restoration.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I try.

I have realized that being a baller is freaking pricey.

The plating shop wants $25 each to acid strip the paint and crap off the centers and powdercoat them. So thats another $100, thanks liberal tree huggers.

Buying the rims is literally only half the price of refinishing them, lolololol.

And $25 each is what they charge my work!!!

I cant even imagine what they charge a normal person off the street.

But the Acid will remove EVERYTHING. the paint, the grease, the 30 years of brake dust, EVERYTHING, so it will leave a perfect surface for the coating to stick to.

After they are stripped I still have to hit the face with a DA sander, then sand inside the mesh and get it all perfect.

The color I have chosen is Auto Charcoal Metallic, its a nice metallic grey and shoul look excellent. I cant wait to get these done

I got the centers back from acid strip today. Removed 30 years of brake grime.

71D4C494-78F4-4D8B-9FA3-3928B5D0F72C_zps

and all the paint.

22E24D10-5223-4335-A8DD-2C3AE41EFE51_zps

Looking good! Seeing these photos is making me keen to get mine done when I get back home! Should look good in the colour you chose too! 

You might have already mentioned this but what are they going on? 

1984 Maxima

I definitely reccomend going the acid strip route, it removes no actual material, I can see machine marks now, that would be gone with sandblasting.

Very true, only reason I was considering sand blasting is I have a mate with a sand blasting company so can get it done cheap, might have to look into local places that acid dip though. =)

It only ended up costing me $60 for all 4, but that is through my company. I dont know if that would be the same price as a walk in, but it shouldnt be too much either way.

Oh sweet, thats pretty good! Ill have to try to find a local shop once I get back from Japan and get mine done. When are your centres getting powder coated?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a machinist, we make wheels at my job. So we are powdercoating them there.

$300, yes, very pricey. However Olymco plating essentially developed Black chrome 30 years ago. Their whole plating process is military grade, they have mil spec numbers and very thing, so it's worth it to me. Regular bright chrome would have only cost me $80

Edit: avoid Olymco plating like the plague, they screwed me for alot of money, read ahead.....