opinions on my rust situation please

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol what rust?

The trunk pan could use a few small patches.... other than that, just clean it up... 

X2   What rust........

Seriously, that is not bad at all. Get all the tar crap out and blast the whole trunk. Then you will know exactly where you have rust or thin spots to fix. Finish it off with a nice coat of

Por 15.  There are plenty of dime guys here that have replaced the ENTIRE trunk to keep there cars on the road. Consider yourself blessed with a good one!

Don't get me wrong I know how lucky I am on the minimal rust situation. I'm thinking of preservation for the future. What do you think would be the best way to remove the tar layer.

I know some guys have layed dry ice on the stuff where it freezes it solid then strike it easily with a hammer breaking it out. Another way would be a heat gun and a 4" wide putty knife. But be aware from what I understand, the undercoating and insulation used back then had asbestos in it.

Liquid Nitrogen is faster, and won't further oxidize the metal. Just kidding. Get some dry ice, a hammer, a 2" scraper, and some music that gets you up. Also have some wire wheels or brushes ready to clean up the metal. Then wash and dry well. (with alcohol if you like). Treat rust with converter according to label (OSPHO). Then wash and dry again. Then coat three times with POR15. Then recycle your beer bottles, and repair your marriage.

• Like 3

I am not a fan of POR 15.  I believe you should remove rust, not cover it.  Long story short, rust once it exists, greatly increases the tendency of good metal to rust, if it ever gets wet again.  POR 15 claims to convert and encapsulate rust. 

If the POR 15 coating is ever compromised, water can get under it, and stay there.  More rust.

I have used different products that convert rust.  The problem is they only convert a thin layer of rust on top of the red rust.  If you wirebrush the converted rust, you usually find more red rust under the converted rust.

As far as encapsulating the metal, you can do that with a good epoxy primer.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Daniel C is correct - rust 'converters' are a waste of money. The right way to do this is to use abrasives and chemicals - sanding discs, flap wheels, grinder discs etc, until you have bright metal. Sand blasting would be ideal. Naval jelly - phosphoric acid - will take out rust in the metal pores without removing metal. Then clean it all with thinners. Weld in patches or use GRP matting. Prime with a zinc-rich primer or epoxy. I did this on my old Landcruiser and its still good 18 years on..

• Like 1

POR15 over that stuff would likely be worse than not doing it. For the exact reason stated. Water would get in, and not be able to get out. I've had this problem before and it is truth. Even straight on bare metal, if the metal gets dented, the POR cracks and actually promotes rust. But that stuff that is there can be a problem down the line. I'd get it off. Epoxy primer is great too. If POR, use POR metal prep on the bare metal. This will significantly improve adhesion. If Epoxy, don't go cheap. There is a big difference between bottom shelf, and middle shelf. You are blessed with these floor pans, so keep them up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You need to first remove that layer of that tare stuff off the metal to see what the metal under it looks like. Then decide how to attack it. I have a 2 door sedan I have a set of floor pans that need putting in.

IMG_20130331_123129.jpg

IMG_20130331_123151.jpg

IMG_20130519_110759.jpg

Your car looks to be better than the one I , good luck on it.