Blow by condition. Possible causes?

Mechanic tells me excessive dust has caused excessive cylinder scoring in cylinder 5. Recommendation, replace engine. No compression test, no boro scope, noted a dirty air filter. I'm thinking he's just a lazy dumb fuck desperate to get my work van back.

06 Mercedes sprinter with 5 cyl turbo diesel

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Diesel smoke though, not bad or all the time but they do smoke. If it is rings or valve seals the whole thing needs to come apart, which is about as much work to fix as it is yo swap another motor in, only difference being cost and time of repairing what you got or simply replacing with another unknown motor.

no maintenance recently.  Ran fine for likely 6-8 weeks since the last maintenance, and I don''t even think we changed or added oil at that time.  There are others doing stuff around here, so I will open my mind to the idea that another took it upon themself to add oil, but I am not expecting this.  And why would cylinder 5 miss?

Roger that.  

Oil Level is good.  below the full line.  Though it's spit some out, and I never added any.  Stuck a boroscope down 1 and 5.  One looks much cleaner.  Though it's been run while skipping 5, so that could be why.  The glow-plug appears to look the same as cylinder 1.  Oil does have the smell of diesel.  

• 3 weeks later...

Alright.  This one has been a hoot.  I've been to two mechanics.  Both are un-able to pull the #2 injector due to carbon buildup.  This means the valve cover and head can't be removed to diagnose the cylinder 5 issue.  Scopes are too big to fit in the glowplug or injector holes.  And I am getting recommendations to replace the engine...  Fucker.  When I pour oil into the cylinder, it pours straight through to the pan seemingly.  Something beyond a scratched cylinder wall for sure.  This sucks 

• 2 weeks later...