81 honda cb750k project

I didn't know allot about posting on forums when I started building my truck.  I have always felt my build thread for my truck was a bit lacking.  So I vowed to have an in depth build thread on my next ride!!....  

well today I was working in the yard getting things ready for summer,  a good friend of mine brought me a bike of his we had been talking about for awhile.  He handed me the title and told me he doesn't need three bikes.  So here is my new toy....

20140512_185854.jpg

Ran but needed carb work when he got it and has sat(2 years) since than..  taking carbs off tomorrow to see what things are like...  only played with a few little dirt bikes so this is going to be interesting lol

• Like 4
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

odometer says 18,000 miles and change could it be 118,000 miles???  this is what i found when i pulled the carbs off.....

20140515_182838.jpg

20140516_102950.jpg

20140515_182901.jpg

looks pretty clean and shiny inside.. going to clean them up today

got 4 of these

20140515_141355.jpg

just need to get a battery and finish cleaning things up.   

18k is pretty standard mileage for a used bike, 118k would be a LOT a lot.

i rocked an 81 gl500 for the last 10 years as my daily bike. Recently moved to something with more power but that bikes is still stupid reliable. We don't get to ride year round in new england though

• Like 1

20140521_183704.jpg

20140521_183753.jpg

this was given to me as well...

20140521_183813.jpg

chrome is cleaning up fairly nice...

20140521_183829.jpg

20140521_183905.jpg

going to modify the rear plastic splash guard so the battery box can be removed without unbolting the whole rear fender.  Still need a battery before i can crank it over.....too scared of using jumper cables and a 500 cranking amp car battery....paranoid....

These are great project bikes if you need any parts hit me up I have several we are going to be building a 750 with a 1000 crank an 3mm overbore on the 1000 jug in the next few months we also have a line on some good cam regrinds for it they are basically the cb900 profile and really wake it up at 3000+ rpm

shaved off the little storage box from the rear splash guard 

20140523_100449.jpg

20140523_100500.jpg

now i can remove the battery box without removing the whole rear fender, saving me a step in the process of getting to the carbs :ninja:

now the only question remains...... do I spend $65 on a battery some fuel line and some gas?  or do I save it for the fun run this sunday?............. Dam It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

It runs!!!!!!!!!!   I changed the oil and it was a little chunky lol  must have been full of gas when it sat because it looked like thick varnish.  smoked a little at first while it was burning out the pb blaster I sprayed in each cylinder, but really cleaned up after that.  One pipe has a bad leak to the point that it is cracked almost the whole way around the muffler.  Looks like im gonna have to replace it with a 4 into 1, than i can mount an O2 sensor!!!!!  Seriously thinking about upgrading my truck to a MS3 and than I'll have a microsquirt to install on the bike!!!! :P

• Like 1

CB's are easy to setup with microsquirt as it already has ignition trigger that will work with ms plus microsquirt has 2 coil drivers which is needed for a CB. get a throttle body rack and injectors off ebay for a gsxr 1000 for about 200 bones find a fuel pump and done!

• Like 1

CB's are easy to setup with microsquirt as it already has ignition trigger that will work with ms plus microsquirt has 2 coil drivers which is needed for a CB. get a throttle body rack and injectors off ebay for a gsxr 1000 for about 200 bones find a fuel pump and done!

Yeah i have been looking at the gsxr throttle bodies.  There is also a kit available for "most" cv carbs that convert them into TB's, but the gsxr is probably cheaper in the long run.

odometer says 18,000 miles and change could it be 118,000 miles???  this is what i found when i pulled the carbs off.....

20140515_182838.jpg

20140516_102950.jpg

20140515_182901.jpg

looks pretty clean and shiny inside.. going to clean them up today

got 4 of these

20140515_141355.jpg

just need to get a battery and finish cleaning things up.   

I'm am almost willing to bet that that would work on a Datsun 1200

• Like 1

Got a strange growling noise 1800-3000 rpm and it's not the clutch basket(it makes noise and quiets when clutch applied, read somewhere thats normal).  Now my friend tells me he got it from a guy who thought the oil pump was going out but he didn't notice when he took it for a ride years ago.  so much for a free bike lmao

anyone recommend a muffler for a 1986 suzuki gsxr 750? The one I have is just too big, want something small as possible but healthy for that motor. Right now its got the biggest super trapp ever made, not sure if the previous owner wanted it that way or just liked the chrome. 

• Like 1

anyone recommend a muffler for a 1986 suzuki gsxr 750? The one I have is just too big, want something small as possible but healthy for that motor. Right now its got the biggest super trapp ever made, not sure if the previous owner wanted it that way or just liked the chrome. 

5 inch disc on a bike?  dam! nice thing about the supertrapp is you can always take discs out to decrease noise and increase back pressure(preaching to the choir I know).  found allot of info about sizing those up correctly at their website.  My truck has a 5 inch with 12 discs and a 1 inch hole in end cap.  Great for when you want to hear the radio, not as fun as when its wide open.   :devil: I doubt I'll ever be near the 400hp it can support lol

• Like 1