Forum newb and his 34K original miles '80 Datsun 720 4x4

Gradyfest

Going through my phone I found a good photo showing about the only way I broke the keeping it stock goal I'm doing. The "mod" is actually one of my favorite things that I've done to the truck. Early on owning the truck I ran into a few moments when I had to roll three deep in the blue bomber. Say a friend calls to get picked up and I'm already out with my lady. It was tight, but if you put the smallest person in the center it worked and I was able to shift around a leg. The real problem was that it only had two seat belts. It was illegal and unsafe to ride with three in the cab. So I went on a mission for a matching center belt. As I've already said, running across parts was, and still is hard in my area; especially nice blue interior parts. But at the end of a long day months ago, at my third pick place, I came across a D21 that was completely stripped but of the blue passenger and center belt. That's all that was left to even tell what color interior it had! I already noticed that beneath my mat and some rubber plugs in my cab was two spots for center seat belt bolts. In the yard I studied how the pan of the D21 and 720 had the bolts for the center seat in the same spot and where the same size, amongst other similarities. I bought the belt cheap and walked away happy. Ever since it's came in handy countless times. It's not a perfect match since the center button is a different color. So me and my OCD, if anybody has an EXACT matching, clean center belt for my truck; I'm interested... Oic!

imagejpg1_zps02442f29.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

imagejpg4_zps67d9e63c.jpg

Holy Crap! This has to be the most miles I have ever seen on any Datsun in any wrecking yard I've ever been to! Wow.. These are CLEAN trucks body wise; it's a shame that many are going to the crusher. Almost worth a trip out to get one.

I was going back in this thread to see if you were using the Row 52 website or app. I didn't see it. I don't know where you're located in CA, but this truck looks pretty clean and may have some stuff you're looking for.

http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/KH720240441

On a side note, I saw that you replaced your hood release ( I think..It's a long thread! Could have been the E-brake). Anyway, for anyone else, if you live in an area where Datsun Trucks are hard to find, a hood pull from a '86-'89 Subaru works pretty nice. I looked all over for a new hood pull for my truck and finally gave up and bought the Subaru one. It works great with minimal hassle.

I said it before..The blue 4X4 720 in this thread is the nicest Datsun truck I've seen in decades. Thanks for posting the pics and part pics, too.

• Like 2

Bad news... I got into the private yard today and I don't know if that truck came with the package tray. I looked at the mount points to see if there was any sign of one being installed and it looked untouched. Sorry to say, no package tray was found in or around the truck. It looked to be a fairly bare bones model with vinyl lined floors. No tack or clock. 

I'll keep an eye out. It's a big yard, and they get these trucks all the time. I usually can get early access to them also.

• Like 2

Here we go, I've done a lot of work this weekend. The truck was running funny, sputtering again. But this time it was like it wasn't getting enough spark. The first thing I did was replace the spark plugs to some recommended out of the manual. I went with cold plugs since I roll at a sustained 55mph a lot. Then I replaced the cap and rotor, the cap contacts inside were pitted. It helped for a while. Then I did another hydrometer test to the battery. Four of the six cells were barely in fair, the other two barely in good. So I replaced the battery with a top-of-the-line. I also cleaned up all the contact points from the distributor to the main harness and all the contact areas at the coil. This got rid of the sputter and it runs better than ever! It also got rid of my jumping tachometer needle that I've always had to look at! More oics!

I need to do something about this soon. I'm guessing that this happened while it sat in storage two decades. It looks worse than it really is. It's still solid were it counts.

imagejpg1_zpsf7791836.jpg

I found an OEM 720 plastic tray.

imagejpg2_zps57de40f7.jpg

imagejpg1_zps134deef3.jpg

Little folded sand paper moved in and out to clean it up at the contact area. I also pinched it a hair tighter with some pliers.

imagejpg3_zpsb4364ad3.jpg

Also cleaned up the male end. Same folded sand paper over a standard screw driver.

imagejpg4_zpse50ea61d.jpg

Nothing to aggressive.

imagejpg6_zpsd55eade2.jpg

• Like 1

You beat mine by just 11 miles! Well it was mine for a short time. I pulled it and shipped it to 84720FourWheel. It's still something to be proud of. Nothing like a 12 or 24 valve cummins though... Or that million mile Sab I've heard about.

I didn't beat anything, I just pulled a few speedo clusters with trip meters on them, I like trip meters.

I did buy a silver 1982 720 diesel with 325,000 miles on it, and I ran it up to 355,000 and sold it for $300.00 more than I bought it for.

I have a 1980 outside that says it has 90,252 miles, that came out of a truck in the boring wrecking yard, it had 85,000 when I pulled it, that is the lowest one I ever seen before.

• Like 1

I didn't beat anything, I just pulled a few speedo clusters with trip meters on them, I like trip meters.

I did buy a silver 1982 720 diesel with 325,000 miles on it, and I ran it up to 355,000 and sold it for $300.00 more than I bought it for.

I have a 1980 outside that says it has 90,252 miles, that came out of a truck in the boring wrecking yard, it had 85,000 when I pulled it, that is the lowest one I ever seen before.

Datsun6_zps1322d6d0.jpg

Before this old photo of mine right! Oh man I kind of miss that. I'm starring 43K in the face now! I'll put up an argument mine is still the lowest 1980 in the land, even with the 42K on it. I could be wrong, and it gains miles every week. I just love driving it!

• Like 1

So after all that new battery jive and what not, I then I thought I was good. I had to be after that right? Then the next day I'm out and about just loving how responsive and a great the Datsun is now driving. I'm completely content with the days work before, and of the big purchase of the Optima battery. Then I notice the temperature gauge. It was completely cold. Almost like the gauge didn't work. So I stopped when I could and pop the hood. "kachunk!" I check for loose connections and started to think about it. It didn't take long to realize that my thermostat must be stuck open. I go home and call my local O'Reillys to order what I need knowing that my truck usually requires one day to a week special order parts. The next day I get my new thermostat and gasket and the work begins. To know the situation more: In the last few months I have taken off and drained my coolant overflow tank more than a few times. I've done this because I can see little rusty sludge forming in the bottom. It's made me shudder thinking about what's rolling around in my coolant system. But each time I clean out the overflow tank and refill it with distilled water, the next time it was cleaner, and cleaner, and cleaner. But it was definitely overdue for a flush. Since I was changing the thermostat anyway, now was a good time. So I did. Lets break it down by photo:

Hood propped, go time.

imagejpg1_zpsa4d8f7dc.jpg

I tried something new to drain the coolant (I didn't want to take it in to work on the lift.) I like being home close to a fridge with cold beverages while I work. So I used duct and black tape, a funnel, and a collapsable RV grey water tank to rig up something. Taped the funnel firm at the petcock drain and after removing, used my finger to control flow. (I had to remove a plate underneath were the funnel is going through.)

imagejpg2_zps724a1c4f.jpg

imagejpg3_zpsa1a8ed4b.jpg

imagejpg5_zps97492c89.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsf4ecc223.jpg

imagejpg6_zpscc5291f9.jpg

• Like 2

It worked outstanding! You just have to make sure the collapsable tank is deflated and kind of flat at first. So instead of trying to let air out past the flowing liquid and draining slow and messy, it fills the space smoothly and fast. You can see the plate I had to remove in the last photos background.

• Like 2

Getting to the thermostat I see another of the previous mechanics "great jobs." I ABSOLUTLY hate RTV. To me it is the first sign of a half assed job by someone who doesn't understand some things relating to mechanics and how to seal metal. For me I do not understand, nor have ever came across, any job needing this messy stuff. It's a pain to remove and most people suck at using it (to much or just sloppy and everywhere.) However, I do know of some times RTV is called for by the manufacturer. Or those times when some gaskets just don't exist. But most of all, you never need RTV and a gasket together with good prepared clean surfaces!

imagejpg12_zpsef135253.jpg

imagejpg9_zps3796e3f4.jpg

imagejpg13_zps08c56f67.jpg

imagejpg15_zps901d5cbe.jpg

imagejpg14_zpsc0c5433d.jpg

imagejpg16_zps9a1b7a9e.jpg

imagejpg18_zps2939c97b.jpg

• Like 2

I also replaced some old coolant lines that I put on that we're to big and red. The didn't match and I was sick of looking at them.

imagejpg26_zps86cd1f00.jpg

The biggest pain in the ass I've had working on this truck so far was replacing this hidden little coolant hose under the air filter housing. I missed this one previously.

imagejpg27_zpsb58fb5e6.jpg

imagejpg28_zps9eac0548.jpg

The old one had one heck of a kink in it and was way to big. I'm surprised it didn't leak.

imagejpg29_zpsb9b838f8.jpg

imagejpg21_zps0701f4d2.jpg

About the best I could get it (before sliding on the hose clamps.) Way better than before.

imagejpg23_zps9b744ef1.jpg

(It looks oily everywhere because I had to use breakaway penetrator to help slide the hoses on.)

• Like 2

It got dark so this is the only finished job photo I have. I busted out all my Nissan OEM hose clamps on this job and used them everywhere I could. It looks better to the eye, and matches. Here's a photo of a new hose and the right clamp it would of came with.

imagejpg22_zps21056b37.jpg

It was all a success! She warmed up just fine after letting it idle for a while. I'm excited to take it on the road in the morning. Fresh!

• Like 2