Forum newb and his 34K original miles '80 Datsun 720 4x4

Gradyfest

Sup guys, I've been away for a while, but I have been a lil busy. Pics!

Datsun26_zpsbaa9a5aa.jpg

Had a neighbor tell me my brake lights were on as it sat outside. Upon inspection I found these pieces down by the pedal.

Datsun27_zps75b8a033.jpg

Turned out to be pieces from my brake light switch (It pushed the sensor in, shutting the brake lights off.) Shortly after that the other one for the clutch pedal fell apart on a drive as well. I replaced them both with a round top bolt that I needle filed smooth of ruff spots on the head. Finished the job with a spot of grease on the contact surface.

Datsun28_zpsec80fe5d.jpg

Before

datsun29_zpsa9354e09.jpg

Not one to push brands, but after! It did wonders to my front bumper as well. I don't know why you guys get rid of the tri-pod mirrors! These retro ones are the most badass mirrors a 720 came with. They really look good on a lowered 720, in my opinion. It's just something that you don't see anymore, and it is more aesthetically pleasing to the "square ass everything," look, that is the 720 pickup truck. It simply matches the exterior square lines better. You'll get use to the whistling sound...

datsun30_zpsdd63217e.jpg

Found this behind the seat, broken (my under dash tray for the passenger side.)

Datsun31_zpsa381d34b.jpg

My fix idea, a stainless steel ruler fab'd up.

datsun31A_zps1ae12a85.jpg

Some rivets and I bolted her back up! I use this tray about everyday, glad I "fixed" it.

Datsun32_zps35a954a4.jpg

I searched Craigslist for months, finally found a Datsun/Nissan 720 local, with the original 4x4 decal still on it. Went there, paid the guy ten bucks to stencil it on tracing paper. Cleaned up the stencil with ink and an eraser, took it to a local t-shirt/emblem place, had it made to match! My local guy now has this saved in his system if anybody else needs it, let me know, I'm sure other colors wouldn't be a challenge.

Datsun33_zps964172bc.jpg

Took my time to put it in the factory spot, going off of a collection of photos I found on the net.

Datsun34_zpsad7c9944.jpg

Boom! just like it came off the factory floor with, once again. Being the first year of the 4x4 factory option, having this emblem is a big deal for the truck to have.

• Like 4
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

imagejpg1_zpsab0e7c3d.jpg

In my quest for the original rims (try and find a factory vehicle made that rocks only steel wheels as OEM nowadays, classic bitch!)

imagejpg1_zps0db9155a.jpg

I found that the hardest thing is finding the hub caps; finally scored a set off a vehicle that previously sat in a show room, eBay. I'll have to get two of them machined out for the front manual hubs. The front hub caps for a 4x4 720, I have the part # somewhere, are about impossible to find. With two of these machined out, I can get them looking exact, based off photos of OEM I've found.

• Like 1

Now, the reason I wanted to catch up on whats up with my truck, drum roll. The kool guy that is selling me the rims has a VERY rare 1985 Nissan 720/Pathfinder prototype for sale on inland empire CA Craigslist right now. I told him I'd get the word out, as he wants someone who will take care of it and appreciate it to buy it. So obviously let ratsun blokes know about it. His story from our convo today; Nissan in a search for an SUV took a run of Nissan 720s and custom made them into an SUV. Small batch, very rare. This example has an original 33,000 miles on it. Makes me jealous, I'm currently at 40K already! :/ He told me he has easily over 10K invested and is only asking $5,000! The paint job though... If someone on here gets it, keep us posted. I see potential, and you can't find a foreign truck from the 90s with those miles for less! Link: http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4716809189.html

imagejpg1_zpsf4e3fcb7.jpg

imagejpg1_zps3beb2de5.jpg

Anybody ever heard of these before?

• Like 2

Not a warehouse, but I have a big shed that is full.

I only have that one rim, but it's kinda rusty looking, i will have to take a closer look it he actually wants it.

I swear, I think Wayno has a huge warehouse full of old Datsun truck parts! Let alone being quite the guru on them.  :cool:

• Like 1

imagejpg2_zps5237ad03.jpg

imagejpg1_zps4c876de8.jpg

Among the haul was the two pieces I needed to fill these spots, with spares! I've decided to return the truck to factory, I want it to look like it just rolled off the factory floor. So that's why I got all the Nissan OEM hose clamps, tie downs, and I've been collecting extra bolts that have already came in handy; it's all about the details. I wish I didn't cut off the one good battery clamp now...

imagejpg1_zpsec92c21c.jpg
Cracked a little code on the rims. There is the numerical order of production and date stamped on each wheel. This is my spare under the truck, it's is correctly stamped 1980 for the truck.
imagejpg1_zps28c8841c.jpg
This one is from a '84 720 4x4
imagejpg2_zpsb7fa4cd0.jpg
imagejpg3_zps1810fe2b.jpg
These two are off the same '85 720. I could see myself turning this into a show truck some day, it's a rare year. But I don't think any judge would notice this detail. What year is yours Wayno, I just might pay you for that if I can't find another soon. I really don't want to mess with my untouched spare. Also turns out my center caps aren't right. Anybody got 720 4x4 hub caps layin' around?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to my main man Wayno, I have a complete set of five stockers now (including my untouched spare!) check out the haul!

Datsun35_zps4bab4545.jpg

Loaded up to visit mister powder coat tomorrow. The one on the left is from 1984, then the 1980 one from the man, followed by the pair from 1985: all aged appropriately/chronologically, amazing! 

• Like 2

Smooth as glass bro. You can't tell the difference in any of them, no marks present, very happy. Tires go on tomorrow, on the Marines Corps birthday! Perfect present to myself. Your money's in the mail friend, thanks again! Here is my motivation (a photo from my 1980 720 brochure.)

6e5926d4-7e29-4abe-b0d9-161c8ab1a2d6_zps

:thumbup:

Those tires look great on it! 

Are you going to try to get a factory roll bar, brush guard, and set of flares?

Thanks man! No, none of that stuff. I like how it came, and those flares look better on the dropped 720s running WIDE... IMO. It's just a basic ol' reliable utilitarian truck with no carpet, no power steering (easier to turn now with OEM like skinny tall tires,) it's 4x4, a long bed; with no fancy shit options like the gauge clock, A/C, five speed, or even a damn bumper; and I love it for that. It reminds me of like a civilian, kool colored military vehicle now.    :ninja:  <--- Ninja

• Like 1

Thanks to member nismo24096. I picked up my mail with a box containing an OEM radio out of a 1982 Datsun 720 today! Very nicely packed by the way bro. I immediately opened it and put it in the empty spot I've starred at for over half a year. Not hooked up, but I finally see a complete dash in front of me (with my previous parcel tray job.) Ahhhhh... Take it in.

Datsun56_zpsfe6857fd.jpg

[uDatsun57_zpscf20a8a1.jpg

DATSUN OEM SUCKAH!

• Like 2

wow ,how did you ever find this thing, what a beauty.    It reminds me of my truck when it was brand new.  It was on the show room floor.. they had to move some cars and open the glass doors so I could drive it out.. I was the happiest 19 year old kid in Colorado... now I am 49 years old and my truck is barely hanging on from day to day...but I want to try to keep it going ,but I don't know.... I am trying to get it through emissions right now....  If you want to help me keep my 720 on the road,  I could use that catlyitic if your not going to use it.  don't know if it will work on my 84, but I assume it will.  I....great find on your truck... hope you have it for 30 years............  970   405    4062  

• Like 1