Forum newb and his 34K original miles '80 Datsun 720 4x4

Gradyfest

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll look real hard again Charlie, but I think that's all there is that's loose that could possibly be for the radio.

My thoughts are that since it's a one year engine in the first year 720 (last L Series,) that the radio or harness (whatever I'm missing to connect everything to make it work) is one year as well.

So I think I'm missing a one year radio or a one year adapter?

The last photo of me holding wires shows the top four wires being blue and grey in pairs. I've traced them to the source and they are the positive and negative wires to the only speakers in the system (the door speakers.)

So that is what makes me believe that they are ALL for the radio connection, since they are all the same style plug as the door speakers.

• Like 2

My suggestion is to check the placement color codes of the wires at  the plugs on your gauge assembly harness and the harness I have pictured.  If they are the same on both ends then the harness I have will possibly work with your 1982 radio.

The problem I think you have is the wiring you have is for a completely different radio/cassette player.

• 1 month later...

Well the Datsun is burning coolant. It started to sputter on a drive and after pulling over I seen it was dripping liquid from the tailpipe while shooting white smoke. After it cooled down I checked the coolant level to find it low. I was able to confirm when pulling the number four spark plug to find it wet with the tip eroded in spots and growing white chalk looking stuff in others.

The other spark plugs look normal. My first thought is that it is the head gasket. But then I got to thinking about my previous job of replacing the manifold gasket. I remember there were two spots where coolant was allowed into the bottom of the intake manifold. Do you think there's a chance that coolant is getting sucked in through that passageway?

I'll test it all later this week and probably just order a head gasket from Nissan tomorrow to have it just in case. I'm thinking and leaning towards it being the head gasket. I'll have to research more on here, but I remember I'll need a wood block for my timing chain of it goes that route. Do they pre-make anything that will work hassle free? Or is making my own out of wood it?

• Like 1

Hit it with a wire wheel. Probably shouldn't have and waited until sand blasting, (I pushed the metal in a little with the wheel.) But I wanted to see what I was dealing with under the flake.

image_zpsgbuc8f2c.jpg

image_zpswtrc1m1o.jpg

This isn't the EGR. It's the tube from the exhaust to the intake manifold beside the carb. The EGR injects oxygen free (inert) air into the intake to reduce combustion chamber temperatures.

These are the air injection tubes. Air (with oxygen) is pumped into the exhaust to burn off any unburned hydrocarbons.x

• Like 2