Forum newb and his 34K original miles '80 Datsun 720 4x4

Gradyfest

Going at it from the bottom was a bust, heat and all. I ended up using my torch to heat the top bolt and got it at with a trusty ol' Ford wrench and regular wrench for torque. A must in any tool collection is a Ford wrench (it's the only thing I had that could get on it without removing the vacuum booster.)

image_zpsqvjqwrik.jpg

image_zps8fcbhxwj.jpg

image_zpslixpwd6h.jpg

image_zpsxf1qllyc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So on a side note, I noticed the bench seat in my truck was a terrible idea a while back. The previous owner wasn't thinking obviously, because I cannot shift my truck into neutral or four low at the transfer case with the bench seat! WTF man... It runs into it even with it at the all the way back setting. So I'm looking for a set of 1980 Datsun 720 bucket seats like in the photo. Blue ones in mint condition would be preferred. But any seats where the metal is straight and hardware is good will work. I'll just have to have them reupholstered. I'm hoping this works out and I can pick them up at Canby from the seller. I would also be willing to trade the bench seat in my truck. It's pretty damn mint. There is also a ad in the classifieds.

image_zps7h3dbw5j.jpg

My bench up for trade or sale when I find the buckets I need:

imagejpg10_zpse7fda337.jpg

• Like 1

Can someone tell me if this is supposed to be like this? Is this JB Weld?

image_zpssjvv7gxh.jpg

image_zps1olgxnkz.jpg

It is supposed to be like that.....is some kind of factory epoxy.....

.....I've heard you can unscrew these and turn them to a better position.....

I have not had success yet........

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

So I finally got it all back together a while ago. No more inhaling exhaust while in the cab! As usual, taking things apart and cleaning was the worst part. Followed by trying to deal with my local Nissan to get new hardware. Then of course the usual surprise here and there. I'll post up photos throughout the day as I have time.

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Hey everybody. Yeah I haven't updated this like I use to... Sorry! Wrenching has still happened, and I have a mountain of photos with all the work to catch y'all up on. But, something terrible happened. A blue tooth portable speaker I listen to while on the dash fell and broke what surrounds my gauge cluster! I'm in completed mercy to whomever/whoever might have this piece. PM me please! I plan on super gluing the three thousand pieces back together until then.

(I listen to a portable speaker because my radio is out of '82 and my 720 is a '80, and they just don't connect; missing a harness maybe?)

image_zpscngf8a0c.jpg

• Like 1

There is one DATSUN pickup in the junkyards near me it is a 4x4 with an 8sparkplug z block and a blue interior!! I stopped in today to grab a pic or 3.IMG_20150910_133623547_HDR_zps0vq6afm2.j bucket seats with a bench style back,

IMG_20150910_133552246_HDR_zpsz3plapqz.j

This center console

IMG_20150910_133528295_HDR_zpswevx7qab.j

A scuffed but intackt tray

IMG_20150910_133503820_zpssdyd5dax.jpg

Full set of stock steelies

IMG_20150910_133735829_zpsn2wbkikm.jpg

And this style review mirror.

Let me know if you want any of these pieces.

• Like 3

Let me know if you want any of these pieces.

Awesome! Thanks fritzdixxon! I love seeing photos of 720s in yards.

I'm definitely interested in the tray and rear view mirror! It's not the first year wide tray like mine, but it's also not stitched up. And my mirror is sun faded to dust in a few spots up front from the decades in outside storage.

I'm happy to see somebody rocked stock steelies on it until death.

Now about those seats. Denmarkboy has these in his garage for me that I've already paid for and am excited to get:

image_zpsvw3w7nav.jpg

If I didn't already pay for the buckets I would totally want the ones in that photo. I've never seen a bucket bottom and bench style top before in a seat. It's kool! And it would totally solve the problem with the bench in my truck (the cut out in the center isn't big enough and I can't get into neutral or four low at the transfer case, WTF?) I'm not positive, but I think it might be out of a Toyota or maybe a Mazda if he same era. The frame of it doesn't line up with the bolt holes in my cab, so the previous owner just made new holes. What was he thinking?

• Like 2

Oh, and I noticed in the photo with the beautiful stock steelie that it has the plastic 4x4 fender flares on it. Those are actually a hot item as not all, but only 4x4s came with them and guys love them when lowering there 720s. Keeps a stock look and gives some wiggle room with wheels choices I'm sure.

They are worth paying for and saving at a salvage yard price for sure. I want to say I've seen people asking $150 for complete sets. But like I said, you don't see them often.

• Like 2

I will look next weekend but I think the blue one I had was broken and I threw it away. I will also look to see if I have a harness for the radio. Is your radio AM or AM FM? Also is it stereo in that it has left and right speakers?

Hey buddy,

It's AM and FM with both left and right speakers. I have photos of the wiring in my truck and the wiring on the back of the radio somewhere on here. I can find them and post again if it'll help.

• Like 2