1979 Datsun 210 - Her name is Chiquita

So quick background I have been looking for a 210 for a bit. I grew up riding/driving 210's in fact a 210 is the car I learned to drive in. I have always loved them, but never owned one. I got an opportunity to pick one up for next to nothing so I took the chance. There is a problem though. The engine is blown. The story is that Uhaul didn't disconnect the driveshaft it blew up the engine and threw a rod through the block. First bit of tear down happened last night. The best part was my Wife helped the whole time. Pictures below.

After talking to Rhonda, the previous owner, I am so flattered to get this car. She purchased it for herself as a 21st birthday present and she has loved it all these years. I plan on getting this 210 back on the road and use it as a daily driver. I added pictures in post #13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I9-aKCsMfA

pictures with a dedicated camera once I find my SD card reader

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know. I have been looking I have seen swaps, but haven't seen any detailed swap stories. What I can see it looks like mounts, wiring, and driveshaft, to bad the 210 5speed doesn't mount to the KA. If you know of a good picture walkthrough of the KA into a 210 swap I am interested. I have seen a few like Burleigh's 210 I am working on getting through that

Well I got a line on an A14 I am going to try and pick up in the morning I went and took a look as it was only a few miles from my house. The crank turns and I took a look and it is actuating the valves. Looks like I will have an A14 hopefully tomorrow morning. Pictures and timelapses to follow. For those of you that haven't followed my other build threads I love timelapses so that is what I take usually instead of photos.

Alright so I got some pictures as I found my SD card and reader. 

I did a little bit of cleaning today.

Rear Pistons Nicked!

100_1566.jpg

Front 2 Pistons Nicked

100_1565.jpg

Going to clean up the bay, it is crazy how much oil gets everywhere when the side of the block is pierced by a rod.

100_1567.jpg

Just getting some close ups of the bay so I can give a good before and after cleaning.

100_1578.jpg

100_1579.jpg

100_1577.jpg

Exterior

100_1569.jpg

100_1583.jpg

100_1580.jpg

100_1583.jpg

Front, as you can see perfect front grill.

100_1568.jpg

Uhh-Ohh drivers side bumper missing the rubber moulding. There was one at the yard when I went and looked today I will try and get tomorrow.

100_1564.jpg

Interior. Very well kept, going to be cleaning, and looking into more supportive front seats which is a real shame because the seats in there look fantastic, just worn down from 30+ years of sitting.

100_1570.jpg

100_1571.jpg

100_1572.jpg

100_1573.jpg

100_1575.jpg

100_1576.jpg

I changed the name of the thread to reflect she is a 1979. The rear seat will most likely stay. Here is what I worked on tonight. I will be tracing wiring in the next few days to clean that up. I am not too worried about the paint so I hit it with dish soap and water, then a brush when it got off most of it I then went to work with the steel wool. I need to find more of the fine as the course is too rough. The before shots are right above. I am not done, just done for the evening as it is 9:50 here and I haven't eaten dinner.

100_1585.jpg

100_1586.jpg

Went and picked up an A14 motor, and might have a line on an A15, I also picked up some integra seats to replace the worn out 210 seats. I love the upholstery on them, just don't love the sag in the seats. So I am going to research filling the seats with better padding, or put it out to the community. Do you want a pair of 210 seats PM me we can work out a deal.

Hey Aaron!  Welcome to the Datsun Sedan world!!  Give Dean a try on the A15, hope you guys can make a deal!

Man, I saw this 210 on CL, and didn't call........looks like a decent car!!  :thumbup:

TJ

Arvada CO

It is a decent car. I talked with Dean today he said that engine is a race engine with a 13.1 compression ratio. I am looking for a daily not a race car so I passed. The other guy called back and he thinks he might have an A14 i will pass his name along to the other guy who messaged me. I realized today I was getting carried away as I was tearing into my "new" A14. I took the head off and it all looked decent so I put it back together I just have to retorque and install. The goal here is not to have the world's best 210, instead to have a decent daily driver. so I am back to getting it put back together. I will still be swapping the seats though. More pictures and timelapses to follow.

My wife has been amazing this is the first time she has helped me with a Datsun though she has always been supportive of my addiction. I took out the carpet and she steam cleaned it. I worked on the engine for a while longer. The battery ran out and I couldn't be bothered to switch it out. 

Old Seats anyone want them?

100_1589.jpg

New seats! One I had already cleaned the other was to be cleaned. Then both of them clean.

100_15872.jpg

100_1588.jpg

Before Carpet and After Carpet it isn't perfect but it will do.

100_1594.jpg

100_1595.jpg

100_1605.jpg

Interior shots. It was very clean under it all!

100_1596.jpg

100_1597.jpg

100_1598.jpg

100_1599.jpg

100_1600.jpg

The engine Before and after a light cleaning.

100_1601.jpg

100_1602.jpg

100_1592.jpg

100_1590.jpg

100_1591.jpg

After:

100_1603.jpg

100_1604.jpg

Hey, the door panels on the white 210 in the yard would work, but have a few 'nicks' & speaker holes, but a quick spray bomb and they would look decent!

• Like 1

The engine and transmission are out! I once again made the rookie mistake of not draining the transmission before pulling it. I am an idiot this is not the first time I made that decision. I have to swap a couple things over. I didn't see anything huge I am going to pull the transmission in half and see if I see anything huge, but there was very little on the plug so I might just leave it alone and hope for the best.

I almost forgot the shifter lever so that would have been fun, and I missed the attaching bolt that was on the transmission. I have had the car a week Friday and have done a lot, but not really made any progress so that stinks. I am going to put the intake and exhaust manifolds on out of the car for easier installation of those.