Project: Daily

josh_t

Sold my old yellow '76 2-door B210 (debbie) for $400. Sad and glad to have it gone. Bought a nice '77 4-door automatic B-210 with 63k miles and VERY little rust, great interior, and a complete and promising A/C system for $600. Busted transmission. It runs fantastic on the 6-year old, orange gas in the tank. Plans are to convert to EFI, electronic ignition, and to rebuild the transmission and fix the A/C. I intend for this to be a properly done reliable vehicle instead of the daily driven project like my last car. Pics to come.

• Like 1
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I regret to inform the unwashed masses that i don't have any pictures of it of my own. But i have previous owner pictures. I only have an album of uglies since its actually under construction already. Here are the PO pics.

sept12b210001.jpg

sept12b210003.jpg

sept12b210002.jpg

sept12b210006.jpg

sept12b210005.jpg

Haha. Thats the surprise. I will tell you it is by far the easiest and so far the cheapest setup i've come across. I work at a parts store so I've looked at everything including prices and availability and have picked up gaskets for matching parts up. The tech school i go to has lots of vehicles that i've looked over for ideas. It's all factory parts. I'd say 80% of them are off of one common vehicle. The rest are at least the same make and are typically in stock locally.

• Like 1

Rolling out these updates. Half the engine is on the stand. Its being torn down and cleaned up and prepped for paint and all new gaskets and seals. Had a head gasket set, conversion gasket set will be in Wednesday. Aluminum parts like timing cover, head, intake, distributor, and oil pump are getting the natural aluminum Nev-R-Dull scrub, iron and sheet metal parts other than the valve cover are going to be gloss black. I think i will do pulleys black too even though i really like the zinc coating that pulleys have on reman parts. I'm up for ideas on the pulleys. And the valve cover is getting a champagne metallic gloss. It'll look good in contrast to the navy blue i want to paint the car. I want the engine compartment to have a clean, understated, almost like a secret is hiding under the hood kind of look. Since it's getting EFI and i'll have to make some portions of the harness myself, i'll probably do a little tucking. On with tonight's pictures.

2014-05-09%2021.34.22.jpg

2014-05-09%2021.34.35.jpg

2014-05-09%2021.34.45.jpg

2014-05-09%2021.34.55.jpg

2014-05-09%2021.35.12.jpg

2014-05-09%2021.35.19.jpg

2014-05-09%2021.36.40.jpg

2014-05-09%2021.36.48.jpg

2014-05-09%2021.47.48.jpg

2014-05-09%2022.40.40.jpg

2014-05-09%2022.40.51.jpg

2014-05-09%2022.49.57.jpg

2014-05-09%2022.50.14.jpg

2014-05-09%2022.41.18.jpg

The Z watched the whole thing. So, as you can see, I've got the 728 "FU" head, but obviously its not the original head since i have the 1mm dish standard A14 pistons instead of the 4-5mm dish of the "FU" pistons. I like these chambers a lot, nice large quench area. Sucks they don't flow worth a crap. I will be touching up the ports a little. no real porting, just smoothing out the flashing and there is one spot in the intake tract that seems beneficial to remove. Pics on that later. I will be working on the combustion chamber some. There is some minor shrouding of the intake valve and spark plug that i want to take care of. Coupled with the near flat-tops, i shouldn't get detonation at stock ignition timing. I'm sure i don't have a crazy high CR anyway. I will be cc'ing the heads and pistons and finding my static CR while it is apart. I'm too curious to know for sure what it is to not do it. This engine is in fantastic condition. Very nice smooth cylinder walls, no scoring, no ridge. No play in the bottom end. No binding. It spins quite nicely. The head seems fairly new. No play in the intake valve guides, almost none in the exhaust guides. There is a lot of gumming on the intake valves. It was even built up on the seats and valves on the sealing surfaces. No signs of burnt valves or anything like that. Looks like its been run on crappy gas or too rich a lot. everything is very black and built up with carbon and soot. I think those ought to be looser anyways since they get so much hotter. It also had a Nissan OEM thermostat in it. 82 degree Celsius. Looked like a more modern nissan lettering on it too.

Its not the original head but its on the original bottom end. And 5200 is perfectly ok for a street engine in my opinion. I did find a couple minor things I'm going to work on with the grinder. There is a lot of rough spots in my ports and there is a little shrouding around the spark plug and some roughness around it. Plus there is a small step surrounding and shrouding the intake valves in the chamber. Kind of like the "eyebrows" on the briggs 5hp flathead engines that i used to shave off when i set them up for me and my buddies little go-kart grudge matches. That was worth a lot on those engines.

• 1 year later...

Long time no post. Well too little fuel, too much timing, and too high of compression for that combo to run well lead to a bit of really hard detonation when i got to doing some angry driving one day in December. Engine developed a dead misfire on one cylinder. #3 hole has no compression and lots of oil. Drove it home, parked it and got my truck going. Then i finally got around to looking into whats up with the engine. Looks like a broken ring land according to my bore scope. No scoring of the cylinder from what i can tell. Head needs to come off to know for sure. Pics and more details when that happens.

Seems like its the summer of the 210s. Smithy is working on his frame, I've got 4 months to get my coupe on the road, and you're resurrecting this beauty. Good luck, this was by far the cleanest of hitches 4-doors. The ugly snot machine is mostly yard art now :(