1984 sentra xe 1.6 - would like some opinions- head gasket

Hi, new here and would welcome some educated opinions. I'm a new owner of a 1984 sentra xe 1.6L E16, and have come accross this statement a few times. " the e-series was prone to head gasket failure "

1st - is this a true statement, and if so, does anyone know if its caused by inferior gasket material, head warping, or cracking.

2nd - I have good compression in all cylinders right now, and am considering retorqueing the head bolts.  Is this a good idea, or should I leave them alone? 

3rd - Are there any other common problems assosciated with the 1984 sentra I should be aware of ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks mickey-d

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard that but it's possible it is said. The Z24 motor in the 720 is well known for this and the preventative is to re torque the head bolts at every tune up. Which is easy enough and not rocket science. Do on a cold motor. Loosen only one bolt at a time and tighten directly to the recommended torque. You can do in any order but only one at a time.

The statement means more than usual will blow a head gasket. But most Sentras never have and never will blow a gasket.

I believe it is caused by overheating.

Yes, retorque the head. The owners manual I believe will give the maintenance schedule.

Thanks for the advice. Very glad to hear you guys don't consider that a common problem with the e-series.

Will be retorqueing head bolts today...one at a time.

I can see already that RATSUN is a great site to have joined.

Will be back with many more questions, I'm sure

Thanks again

mickey-d