Ruth - 1971 Datsun 521 1600

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eh im not a huge fan of the stock wheels plus my chevy steels are a little nicer than these ones.

worked on the turd some more tday and got the tranny out and into the shop after dropping it on my hand accidentally.

i pulled the exhaust off the manifold and those bolts ended up snapping which isnt surprising so im going to pull the manifold off and drill out the studs then nut/bolt then with a new gasket.

whoever the hell did the clutch last screwed up a ton of stuff and managed to booger up one of the flywheel bolts which then sheared off the threads and left it in the crankshaft so we will see how that works out when i clean up the threads, hopefully i dont need to helicoil it or re thread it. 

i spent about 2 hours with a putty knife, a cup of solvent and a brush on the transmission to clean up all the built up gunk and oil so its looking a little cleaner. i would have liked to steam clean it but there is nowhere in this podunk town with one.

flywheel is dropped off to be machined across town. 

next thing is to scrape some of the gunk off the frame and chassis so that i can identify all the leaks.

my rear main seal is also leaking but not badly enough for me to actually want to replace it. 

pics in the next post

dirty transmission and bellhousing

20140527_145338_zpsglukxf92.jpg

cleaned up a bit

20140527_153749_zpsgkqoerxa.jpg

stripped out flywheel bolt, ive never had one that left the threads and pulled out the innards of the bolt...

20140527_161301_zpskyk4mfdd.jpg

nicely glazed and dusty clutch

20140527_161724_zps3t5dlxhh.jpg

and the flywheel with a lip and small scoring ring. just enough to machine it 

20140527_161742_zpsiozjvwjb.jpg

best to get that resurfaced.

weird how the flywheel bolt pulls out the inside. usually those are tough to fuckup

oops, actually mislabeled that last bit. the flywheel isnt pictured but thats the part thats getting resurfaced and machined right now, the rest of the clutch pack is getting junked and going to the scrappers. 

ya i though the flywheel bolt shearing out the threads like that, it started out fine and then it hung up with an electric impact and the only way i got it out was with an air tool on full blast after that. hopefully i just need to run a tap into the thread and call it good. anyone know what the thread pitch it off hand so i dont have to dig my thread gauges out of my tool box?

little more work on Ruth today. so oe of my flwheel bolt holes on the crankshaft is totally toast. i drilled out the remaining crud as best i could and am hopefully going to chase the threads with a tap. fun fact is the thread pitch is 12x1.25 metric which no one carries and i have to order from our Snap-on dealer so ill get that next week. 

in the meantime i cleaned all the hardware in solvent all day while i worked on one of our local ambulances again. 

transmission cover is ready to go on tomorrow when i find some RTV at my box at home.im also moving out of my house this week and im ready to be just working and not dealing with too much so i can fish all day...

flywheel was machined today too and sittin at the shop with all my other crap. basically my whole project is at a standstill until next wednesday when i get the tap but i probably wont get to it until later next week when i can put the truck back up in the shop and off the slab since we need the room for actual work related vehicles. ill probably start making the seat brackets for the corbeaus in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

thread pitch is definitely 12x1.25 metric, ran a tap into the crankshaft yesterday and cleaned it out and the OEM bolts threaded right in. transmission is back in ruth and all that is left is to re attach the driveline and then bleed the slave and master then nut/bolt the exhaust manifold for now until i order a new exhaust manifold since both nuts broke off during removal of the down pipe. after that ill be checking brakes, pulling the bed to check fuel lines then build a seat bracket to replace the beat up funkhy seats in it. 

thread pitch is definitely 12x1.25 metric, ran a tap into the crankshaft yesterday and cleaned it out and the OEM bolts threaded right in. transmission is back in ruth and all that is left is to re attach the driveline and then bleed the slave and master then nut/bolt the exhaust manifold for now until i order a new exhaust manifold since both nuts broke off during removal of the down pipe. after that ill be checking brakes, pulling the bed to check fuel lines then build a seat bracket to replace the beat up funkhy seats in it. 

You need to remove the exhaust manifold, then take a torch and heat the manifold near the broken studs till it is glowing orange, hit the side near the stud with a hammer, then grab what's left of the stud with a pair of vise grips and turn the stud out, then put new ones in and your good to go.

You need to remove the exhaust manifold, then take a torch and heat the manifold near the broken studs till it is glowing orange, hit the side near the stud with a hammer, then grab what's left of the stud with a pair of vise grips and turn the stud out, then put new ones in and your good to go.

yeah i was considering heating it but for now i just need to get it running well enough that i can drive it in/out of our bays/slabs before i tackle that since its been taking a spot for a couple days last week and prob next week. im thinking that just ordering a new manifold will be cheaper from a $ loss perspective since im not getting paid when i work on it...

alrighty, so the transmission is in place, everything is hooked up again and i need to 1, fill the tranny, adress the manifold issues, pull the bed, flush the rear diff and fix a leaking wheel cylinder in the drivers side rear. after that its test drive time and then tires.

on a side note ive been distracted with my yota since its my work truck/mobile office and i kind of needed to replace the radiator so i dont over heat...sometimes i hate my job.

• 3 months later...

what an exciting day at work, the back of the old datsun met the front of a moving F650 service truck in the yard and dented the only clean panel on the truck, the tailgate...negligence on the other trucks part but hes a repeat customer and family of the boss so i get a bunch of beer in exchange for not telling the gentlemens supers. not too much damage though and much less than anything ive gotten offroad in my other truck

• 4 weeks later...

well in the process of replacing my wheel cylinder, my drum has rust welded its self to the axle flange so i pulled the whole axle shaft and will be separating them today when i have a chance. other than that the truck is shaping up to be on the road soon. however insurance even bare minimum insurance with a young adult male with 2 speeding tickets and 2 accidents skyrockets insurance so that will be fun. need to drain the diff oil still ad replace, fill the transmission and then fix the exhaust leak/flange

• 3 months later...

alright, its been a while since i last posted, 2 days ago i picked up a weber 32 progressive carb to swap with the worn out old carb on there. i will be removing the smog pump since it is useless to me, and ill be blocking the ports with brass plugs. between my last post and now i trailer-ed my truck the 4 blocks home and it has sat. my buddy lit his hand on fire with starting fluid in the process of getting the truck to start and the idle jet and diaphragm were toast so if anyone wants the stock carb ill probably let it go for cheap. other than that ive got a line on new tires for the truck with my spare 15 inch chevy rims and some new fenders off a different datsun thats floating around my little dumpy town of 5k people