77 Datsun 710 Project

Does anyone here have an exhaust manifold that doesn't have the smog attachments.

Mine has a crack in it.

Also does anyone have a smogless intake manifold.

I would like to purchase some asap.

Shipping would be pretty steep on those parts since the exhaust manifold is a heavy bit of iron - you would probably be able to find those at the Canby show in Oregon, if you're up for a Datsun road trip this weekend!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone here have an exhaust manifold that doesn't have the smog attachments.

Mine has a crack in it.

Also does anyone have a smogless intake manifold.

I would like to purchase some asap.

You have an L20B with the intake bolted to the exhaust manifold. The exhaust is four into a single large round outlet and down pipe. There is no stock L20B manifolds without the EGR tube.

You can fit the later '78- intake which is separate from the exhaust and run the early L16/18 exhaust manifold. But two things...

The exhaust manifold has four into two. The down pipe is two into one pipe welded. Besides the L16/18 manifold you would also need the top part of the down pipe or have a muffler shop make you one.

The '78- intake will have an EGR set up so plug it or disconnect it or make a block off plate. You could also use the early L16/18 intake but it has smaller port runners so what's it going to be? Looks or function?

Carb wasn't working right.

It has a Dodge Slant 6 single barrel carb on it.

Don't really know why haha.

I took out the gas tank, it was rusted out bad. Had a hole in it.

I stripped the trunk and I am working on getting all the rust removed.

That's a Ball and Ball 1 bbl. Used to have a slant six.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want it to look good, and drive it on occasion.

Not a daily driver.

What would be the best setup for it?

Early 70's intake mani?

If occasional driving just leave it as is. No one can see it's good or bad looks under the hood.

Two things...

Get the early L16/18 exhaust manifold... basically it's a cast iron header. You will need a two into one down pipe and join to your L20B exhaust. Maybe get the pipe with the manifold.

The early intake is divorced from the exhaust but is a smaller port than the '77 intake. A '78-'80 L20B intake is larger inside but had an EGR valve (not used) on it. Still works the same but has much larger ports and some don't like looking at the EGR.

• 7 months later...

It's been a while, but so far I haven't been able to work much on the car. I got busy with work and college, I was able to get a hold of some 2002 R1 Bike carbs from my buddy who wrecked his bike. I have seen people use these on a couple L20B's. I do have a couple questions on settings them up. I wasn't able to get solid information on it, or the pics weren't able to be viewed. Does anyone know of a walk though for that? 

Datzenmike, I also have some questions for you about suspension setups.

I do see you used 84 Maxima strut setups. Does the full front (strut, spindle, caliper, and rotor) setup bolt on from a Maxima?

The rear is live axle, so my only choice there are blocks for lowering right?

Sorry if I am asking stupid questions, I am just really new to this and would like to learn more.

I have done my own research, but I dont' seem to find solid answers, a lot of maybes.

Any help would be awesome.

Good to know you are still working on your 710 project. Here is a huge amount of info on R1 carbs. I haven't read through most of it in awhile so I don't know what all is in there, but reading it should keep you busy for some time:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/7862-r1-carbs-lots-of-pics/

Here are a couple of pages I have Bookmarked on front struts. I think both have info on what datzenmike did for his 710s:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34171-280zx-struts/page-2

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/17682-my-island-74-710/page-3

Len