Debt free - finally.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White shorts

All that material!

HRH, many grats on being debt free. I'm working on that myself. Once the Datsuns are both on the road I can knock $7k off the top, but still looking at $14k in student loans. After that it'll be time for a house, but luckily the new promotion is making a large dent in it each month. Should be free and clear in 18 months if I can get the B210 going soon and get rid of that POS gas guzzling cougar DD...

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  Len, just make sure you have SOME fun, not saying you're old, but you can't take it with you! ;)

Mike, what's the currency in Canadia now?  Pesos?  Check's on the way bud! :D

congrats this is not an easy task 

but is a great idea for everyone 

banks are leaches and they will suck you dry if you allow them too 

Its just business to them 

Thanks guys!  Len, just make sure you have SOME fun, not saying you're old, but you can't take it with you! ;)

Mike, what's the currency in Canadia now?  Pesos?  Check's on the way bud! :D

Actually I'm so old I remember when banks were dignified businesses and being a banker was a respectable profession.  Sure banks were out to make money in those days, but not to screw the customers blind every chance they got.

My fun comes from going to Pull n Save, yard sales, and bottom feeding on eBay. I find stores that sell new crap to be really boring. Gotta find a deal on some rusty junk to make me happy. I will admit we bought a brand new lawn mower at Home Depot last week. I'm still kind of in shock about buying something new!

Len

• 5 months later...

This is a tough one, when I got down to $5000.00 and I had the cash to pay it off, but didn't have any back up money(all my cookies were in one jar), I had been trying to get it paid off for years, I would get it down to 5K, and up it went to 12K every winter, I finally gave up and just paid it off, I had no spending money, but it was paid off, well in a couple months I had all sorts of spending money, because I didn't have a credit card payment anymore, if you have the 2K, pay it off!!!

I'm down to $2k of credit card debt, WOOHOO!!   now the challenging part is saying the same thing after christmas!

• Like 1

Still debt free, very happy about it.  Saving a little bit of money.  May go slightly in debt to buy a Datsun, but this time I won't bite off more than I can chew in a month or two. ;)

• Like 2

Debt is such a fickle bitch...

Got rid of the cougar, then the 620 died. Got tired of being left stranded and bought a modern car (so far so good reliability wise) which added 16k to my debt... Paid off the credit cards today. Began on the student loans and paying down the car. The goal is to have the car payed off by July 2015 (one year after purchase) and have the Student loans payed off by March 2016.

The plan is to be debt free with a house, car, and degree under my belt by the age of 30. Only 3.5 years to go.

Just some tips for people who have a difficult time saving:

I lived paycheck to paycheck until starting a direct deposit into a savings account at a DIFFERENT bank. You want your savings to be out of sight and mind. My company sets up our direct deposits so I never even see the money.

I started with $25 each pay period and slowly increasesd it so that the pinch didn't hurt as badly. Now I'm up to $200 each pay period. I also participate in my company's 401k. Both of these give me tax deductions which help boost savings as well.

Lastly I stopped using my credit card unless I had the money to pay it off immediately. I want the open line of credit, so I didn't close the account, but if I don't use it once each quarter they close the account, so I buy gas or a cd once a quarter and pay it off the next day. Avoids those nasty 14% intrest rates.

@hrh good on ya!

having said that... we lost count of how many people we knew allowed their credit to baloon before 2008 and almost lost everything

until the tax payer bailout and bankruptcy epidemic saved their asses

these people were given slaps on the wrist (sell your rental property, rv or boat)

but allowed to leave their debt behind and move on for the most part

today, you'd never know that some of them almost lost it all

i don't think you can do any more; ain't no more bailouts for the common folk