Debt free - finally.

Well ladies and gents, in case any of you are in the same boat, I'm offering you a little hope.  I've been in a debt plan for about 5 years now, and with my bonus for hitting a record month at NAPA in March, I was able to pay off the last of my credit card debt.  I was at $15k about 5 years ago.  Been plugging away at it since then, fortunately at 0% interest when I got into the debt management plan.  Otherwise I'd still be upside down.  As of May 1st, the only debt I have is my mortgage on the house.

It IS possible.  Sometimes you have to learn the hard way; you have to adapt and learn how to live WITHIN your means, not outside them.  All my debt was due to cars, racing, and poor choices with my money.  It will never be that way again.  I wish all the rest of you fighting the same thing the best of luck.  It is great when you're out of debt.

• Like 14
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats!  My wife & I have had no debt since Christmas of 2012 (we don't own a home, so eventually we will likely end up with mortgage debt).  A lot of people think a budget holds you down, but it's actually pretty liberating & a relief to know where your money is going and what you can freely spend.

• Like 1

Congratulations, it feels good doesn't it. :)

I was in trouble for a while, I had a $12,000 debt and paid it off in 6 months($2000 a month), so I thought I would do it again and bought a new rigid wing hangglider for $8,000 under the assumption that I would pay it off in 4 months like I did the other debt, well the room mate decided that he needed to get out of debt himself, so he decided to sell the house, I didn't want to move so I raided my IRA for $25,000 for the down payment, I had to pay a large penalty for doing that, it also went on the credit card, so I went from owing nothing to owing $18,000 in 6 months, it took me years to get out of that debt, when I bought the house, all of a sudden I had all these bills I did not have before, one day I had $5,000 in petty cash and that is what I owed on the card, I could not seem to get it below $5,000 before the winter came and work died off, so I sighed and paid it off, it was the smartest thing I had done in years, it felt so good, it felt better than when I paid off the house, there is just something wrong about owing money on a credit card, pay it off every month or cut it up, that is my attitude about them now.

Thanks guys, I agree, it does feel very liberating.  I'm actually having to force myself to keep my pissed-off edge since I still live in the ghetto.  Can't be too happy, people will know! :D

• Like 1

This is something I need to tackle. 

Even with all the money I was making in the Service, I was stupid with my money. Now I need to dig my way back out. Things are tough, but Im sure itll clear up. Just have to put forth the effort. 

Congrats on being debt free. Way jealous. 

I just went $11k further in debt yesterday.

I'm not dumb with my money though. Key is buying things that are investments. Or buying cars that you won't be immediately upside down in. If you get in a pinch, sell. Also, be able to afford your payments.

Congrats HRH. That shit isn't easy. 

I just went $11k further in debt yesterday.

I'm not dumb with my money though. Key is buying things that are investments. Or buying cars that you won't be immediately upside down in. If you get in a pinch, sell. Also, be able to afford your payments.

Congrats HRH. That shit isn't easy. 

I like your investment!  Its a good looking rig. hopefully selling me the 4x4 can afford you a cheese burger now :)

I am glad you feel debt free, but in reality we all will never be debt free. Own a house even if you pay it off you still owe property tax's on it. Its good to be credit debt free thats for sure and i have known that for a long time. I will just say this if you new what I paid a month for one thing I pay, it would make most of you puke,and not once but twice. And it aint child support.lol

But I think every one once in there life has been down in the dumps financally and the best part any one can do is learn by those mistakes and more importanly dont make them again.

• Like 1

The wife and I are on track to be debt free in 30 months.  She's an ex-credit card junky but we've been on "the mend" for a couple years now and things have never looked better as far as our debt goes.  Congrats and I'm right behind you ! ! !

• Like 1

HRH keep paying those payments into a savings for a place outside the ghetto. You qualify for USDA Guaranteed loans too. Lots of options and help around for median level incomes.

If that is a motivation...... Great job leveling out. Cash is the best way to pay for stuff. Credit is for homes and not really anything else in my opinion.  

Hey Matt, this is one of the best topics I've seen posted on Ratsun in awhile. Hope it will let people who are living in debt understand they don't have to keep doing so. I've never understood taking 6% to 18% (or maybe even more) of nearly all the money you make and giving it away to a bank or credit card company. I have no debt and a little money saved, but now I'm a super miser. You've seen my house and know the Datsuns I drive. I've got the money to spend, but prefer to hang onto it.

Len

• Like 1