1978, 620 King Cab, Rebuild

Scoobs

I still haven't touched the truck. Put it on capitalist and the paper in my area for $500 never got a single hit. So I'm going on a week long away from home job first thing in the morning that should be me enough to finally get back to Work on this truck. my car of 5 years broke a piston so I went and bought a brand new to me car. So now I have a reliable vehicle for now. I'm thinking of a V8 swap since I found a running take out 302v8 with c6 auto Trans for $650. we shall see where I go when I get back.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from my job, and vehicles had tore up while i was gone, and i also managed to wreck the new car.... Woops.... Anyway it looks like some friends are gonna help me out and donate a complete van with a 351 windsor running and did drive till the frame broke.... So maybe the datsun will get a stupid v8 swap... Lol. Still debating....

find another l20 head and bolt it on in less than 3 hours.

I hightly dought the block is bad maybe the head bad. u bolt it to 60 pounds?

If doing a V8 just sell the truck now as if you havent fixed this yes add 3 years doing a V8 swap.

Eric Long on here redid a motor and find out the machine shop had the rear plug undone on the block and all the oil would squirt out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Took the head to a machine shop, they checked it, and the gave it an all clear..... guess it was headbolts? Anyway i got new gaskets in the truck, and the head in the back seat of my new car, Waiting on some bolts from fastenal, around 6.43 for my whole set of new head bolts. 4 M10x1.50x 150mm and 6 M10x1.5 x 130mm socket caps, the hard ones :D 12.9+ grade We shall see how it goes friday when those come in... in the meantime i had a guy make me a cash offer on the truck and i originally said yea id sell it, but he seems to have backed out. So back to working on it. Heres a pic of my new car. for those that are interested.

1654477_10202966635233780_51825149268696

• Like 1

Buffed out the paint on the whole truck, and sprayed the tailgate the same color. Looks much better from a distance. Need to get a new carburetor since this one is allll messed up. 

10403310_10202707444074163_1451227775489

1497673_10202704174552427_67147084243206

sounds like your on way ( again ) to getting it on the road .. !  i'm glad to hear that guy backed out, your so close now . All ya have to do is grit your teeth long enough to get it put back together , Because all ya need is a little seat time , and you will be in love all over again !

oh and nice picture of the daily , but i can barely see the datsun so let me help ya !! 

• Like 1

And now its scrap.... Got to the last head few bolts, and was getting closer to the torque range, and POP bolt comes loose, i take it out, bolt looks fine, tighten it back and it just spins....... GOD DAMN im tired of this truck. Its been nothing but a hassle so far.... Now i need annother block.....

So, i got the head pulled, and charged the heli coil kit , sleeve retainer, and a 13/32 drill bit, to my account at work, taped off my block to keep debris where it dont need to go, drilled the hole out, tapped the threads for the heli coil, dabbed on some sleeve retainer, and put the heli coil in. Went to town for about an hour got dinner, came back home and torqued the head down. Since the head bolts i got are not actually Head bolts per say, socket cap high grade bolts from fastenal, i didnt torque them down to book spec, since the bolts have no give and would rip the threads out again, so they are torqued down to about 55-58ft lbs. Head is now back on the block. When i get a moment ill finish putting it all back together. Then HOPEFULLY i dont have to redo this crap again.... LOL i just want to drive my datsun again.10849819_10203260929510953_2014481224818

• Like 2

Great, as usual bad luck... Put insurance on it this afternoon, drove it all over town, got home, and then went shopping for a gift for my 2 year old, FIRST TIME over 50mph on the way to wally world, starts pissing out oil again..... I am so tired of this crap. gonna cancel my insurance once again.. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive had the truck up for sale locally and on CL, a couple bites but all tire kickers, so i tried running the truck through the auction here.... it didnt do well. So im still stuck with a headache. Still leaking oil from the same place, even after a new head, and headbolts. Its the block....