'71 Goon

Bought my first 510 wagon a few weeks back and have been trying to get it to a point where I can daily drive it.  She needs some love to get her to a safe and reliable state, the PO did a fair amount of hacking to the suspension, pretty much making the car un-driveable.  He cut the front springs so much that if you hit a bump too fast the springs pop out of the perch, he then heated the rear leaf springs and now the diff sits about 1" from the bump stop with zero springrate. Then to top off the stupidity he stuffed a set of 225/45/17's with a +40 offset on to the car, needless to say they rub.

I went through the car and found the priority items:

Suspension

Wheels/tires

Rear brakes, wheel cylinders leaking

Brake master leaking

Weber DGEV 32/36 leaking

I've been slowly gathering parts, so let the fun begin.

IMAG2177.jpg

IMAG2178.jpg

IMAG2179.jpg

IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3274.jpg

IMG_3280.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3278.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, no doubts that's it, looking at the red painted dogleg trans with the wonky shifter. I still haven't heard the last of it from my girl for selling.. is the dash still uncracked? If so, get some Mother's brand "Protectant" on it, pronto!

RafaelPhotos042.jpg

A pic from years ago. What a fine wagon she was.

If you're ever interested in selling, please please PLEASE let me know. :)

I dont know why 510 guys use bungree cord for a battery hold down but have money fro bling wheels.

Turn battery around so the positive is toward the fire wall so it dont slide and hit the hood.

Be honest the motor room look clean and not hacked up.

I would fix the dizzy wire(cleaner and route the fuel hose better.

get soem mojo hand cleaner or TR3 polish and clean up the engine bay

get rid of those wheels,

if rich paint car same color

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

This is the third time I've tried to post this and it was well thought out, but not anymore.

Work has begun.

IMAG2265.jpg

Stock length 280zx struts and inserts, 510 upper/lower spring perch and spring with top flat coil cut off, 280ZX upper strut mount and rebuilt 280ZX calipers.

Hub cleaned and painted after this picture, this was just a test fitting.

OLD%201968.jpg

Stock rear springs that I got from Jrock with 2" blocks with a 3* taper and custom made U bolts.

Top: Old heated spring by previous owner

Bottom: "New" stock spring from Jrock

OLD%201991.jpg

Blasted and painted the wheels.

OLD%201967.jpg

OLD%202017.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased with the way it all turned out.

OLD%202018.jpg

OLD%202021.jpgOLD%202022.jpg

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Smoking and misfiring is bad right?   I knew this motor was tired, but I didn't know she was this tired.  Last week she started smoking and misfiring at around 2000 rpm, I found a severely corroded #4 plug wire.  I replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor.  I usually do that on all my cars just after I buy them, not really sure why I didn't do that on this one.  After all that she is still misfiring, so I did a compression test:     120   120   145   95.   Going to pick up a completely stock l16 and 5 speed in about an hour, it should get me back on the road until I figure out what to do next, rebuild the l18 or get an l20?

• 7 months later...

Not a whole lot of progress in the last 6 months, due to a job change and loosing my work space. engine and trans are out and the engine is sitting waiting to be reassembled after a basic rebuild.  I have a lot of work to do if I want to make my goal of getting this thing to Canby.

To do list

replace windshield seal
replace door/liftgate weather strips
replace window seals
finish engine rebuild and install
install  trans
fix trans crossmember
build exhaust
replace seat
replace seatbelts
other misc things I can't remember at this moment.

Now for the few pics I've taken 

OLD%202106.jpg

OLD%202108.jpg

OLD%202109.jpg

OLD%202110.jpg

OLD%202111.jpg

OLD%202113.jpg

picked these up last week, they are heated.

OLD%204093.jpg

Hopefully more progress will happen soon

Bitchin hoodie man. Props to your wife.

Are those e30 seats? I thought I was so clever when I figured e30 seats were the perfect upgrade for a 510 a few months back. Since then I've discovered I'm like the 400th guy to realize this...not as original as I thought. That's freaking sweet that they are heated though. Nice wagon.

• Like 1