Looking for advice about this 620 carb...

mike_dmt

First of all, I was hoping someone could identify it for me. I'm helping my nephew with his first "real" project, which is his "new to him" '79 620, and if you've seen my other posts, I'm more of a muscle car guy, and the older Datsun stuff is new to me. I like it, for sure, I've always wanted a 510. Carbpic1.jpg

Second, you'll note that what looks like an air rail on the exhaust has been disconnected, and there are open ports on the manifold under the carb. Can we just delete it, or what? There looks like a bracket by the crank pulley where a pump might have lived, but she ran away from home from the looks of it...

So, we we're hoping to adjust the air/fuel mixture to not only make it run better, but it wont idle for very long. He's had to learn the heel/toe technique. Good for racing, but gets old for everyday driving.

Big question is: Is it worth rebuilding for the price of the kit, or should we just get a Weber?

Thanks for any ideas and advice in advance

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you grab the top of carb ( without filter) and move/twist does carb feel like it is loose at all ?? If it does unbolt and tighten screws that hold the bottom on... I try NOT to flip carb over as that has caused trouble for me in the past.

You can also flush some of the crap / water out by taking out the two screw in plugs that are right under the float bowl ( 12mm and real hard to access but it is possible with carb on car)  flush out  using vent tube.  BE CAREFUL as there are washers on the plugs that need to be on there or it will leak onto exhaust.

Many of us have cut those pipes off at the fittings on the manifold and mig welded them up.. You could try pulling them out and using a plug but those things are usually  rusted in there like death at a nursing home.

I always at least try the free/cheap things first with my sons cars  cuz even something that doesn't work gets them more familiar with their cars.  And imma reeeeeealy cheap person.

And welcome where in Washington do you live?