280zx strut swap in a 510

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does narrow the track.  Here's an interesting tidbit.  You could use 810 front struts.  The downside is finding good brake pads and rotors for that combo (or brake pads at all) is a little hard.  However, special order through NAPA or Hawk pads will work.  BUT, be warned, that will increase the track width to likely past your fenders.  Sawzall and flares will solve that.

It does NOT narrow the track width. It narrows the WMS(Wheel mount surface) to WMS distance. It allows for more negative offsets which in turn will keep original track widths. Track width being center of tire to center of tire.

• Like 1

It does NOT narrow the track width. It narrows the WMS(Wheel mount surface) to WMS distance. It allows for more negative offsets which in turn will keep original track widths. Track width being center of tire to center of tire.

But all else being equal, yes they will narrow your track width.

I think a lot of people who do the swap are in the same boat I was - I liked how my car looked with the wheels I had and was concerned about the narrowed track width. I didn't go into it thinking 'oh goody, now I can buy some new rims to compensate for the narrowed width' but maybe I'm the exception more than the rule.

No, I think it's more like 3/4"

It's a half inch.  I've seen other people say 3/4" on here, but not in my findings. Maybe it has to do with different years?

The black hub on the left is a Z31, I'm not sure what the second hub is on the left (I was told it is a Z31 as well), '71 510 middle, 1982 280zx on the right.  There is a half inch difference between the Z31 and 280zx.  The 510 is just shy of 1/2".

028_zps55bf883f.jpg

029_zps86b78477.jpg

Pics with unknown hub:

003_zps5fbbef5a.jpg

004_zpsec540459.jpg