CALLING ALL TURBO 510's!!!! I need advice!

HAM8URGER

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just about power; that's just one aspect. You have to consider your suspension, brakes, and wheel/tire combinations as well as weight of your vehicle, appropriate modifications to the body for stiffness, etc.. lots to consider other than just how much power you're making.

• Like 1

Alright, so what the thing is here you have to worry about is it not being "too powerful" really, it's how fun it is to drive. With a turbo car, matching the turbo to your engine and how you are going to use it will be the most important thing in that. If you give me the max rpm of what you plan to turn your engine to and if it's stock or has some work done to it, then I can tell you pretty much exactly what turbo you want. Without that, I would say a T3/T4 hybrid, with the exhaust AR in the upper 50s or low 60s. I personally never find anything too powerful so to speak, I find some stuff hard to drive due to where and how the power comes on. 

Ok so I have a KA24DE,

the bottom end can hold 800whp all day (seriously), stock compression 90mm bore

head has full Brian crower valve train: 1mm over valves, has springs, retainers and a port job, so let's say 7500 redline...

It can get all of the fuel it will need,

Running 205/50/15 street slicks,

Trans, clutch, and the rest of the drivetrain can hold a lot of torque

No chassis bracing as of yet but cage is imminent

Brakes are 280zx fronts, maxima rears with race pads, syn fluid and stainless lines. Booster and larger bore master is on the way.

So with this info, what are your suggestions? I have been leaning toward either a TD05H 18G or a TD06SL2 20G, or a GT3071r size.

It's not just about power; that's just one aspect. You have to consider your suspension, brakes, and wheel/tire combinations as well as weight of your vehicle, appropriate modifications to the body for stiffness, etc.. lots to consider other than just how much power you're making.

Yes micro, I am well aware of these other aspects and I have them all covered.

I just didn't want to include my parts/mod list because it's a mile long. To sum it up I have or will have shortly, every performance mod necessary to support any turbo between a tiny K04 to a GT42.

So just give me a simple, "this is what I am running, and maybe you would like this for these reasons" or a "you could run this because of this" etc. I don't want a lesson in grammar, spelling, sentence structure or how much you know about cars.

Okay, good. I am not sure what the overlap on your cam is, in other words, how much pressure it will bleed off, but with your current compression ratio, I would limit boost to about 15 psi, you can go higher with the right fueling, but lets just say 15 psi for reading the pressure map. 

At 15 psi, that will put your pressure ratio at around 2.02. Your engine is 2389cc, and it's easier to read most maps if you convert that to cubic inches, which would be 145.7 cubic inches. Now. 15 psi of boost at 7500 rpm in a 145.7 engine comes out to around 430 cfm, or 30 pounds of air. 

So we go to a map of a GT3071r

gt3071r_comp_e_zps18417c56.jpg

Run up the side of the map to about 2, run along the bottom and find 30 lbs, where these line intersect will be where you will be at at full tilt. This turbo would be great for you and even leave a little room for growth.

• Like 1

I can probably make 400 wheel with this 30r

Yes, you can. With the 15 psi I quoted, you would be in the neighborhood of 360 or a little higher, which is a rocket in that car to say the least. Lots a variables involved, but on a drag strip, you would be looking at an 11 second car, which is nothing to sneeze at.

• Like 1

Personally I like my corner to corner street 510 I will autocross soon (now have Odesy batt. in a taylor bat box) and I have said this too many times 7 psi in a stock sr with stock turbo ( I have had it at 9-10 psi ) ,pulls hard on a bog even ,I think 235-50 hp is a great street 510 ,ENJOYABLE dailey driven ,and really smooth for cornering put a t28 boost 15 is probably too much . Smoke you need to drive a mild SR if you haven't , come by if in LA let you drive it !

Oh, I could not agree more with you. I love a tame car with good power. Thing is though, with that turbo he wants, it won't boost to 15 until he really wants it to. I find that with the correct size turbo, boost can be controlled with your foot, the same way you control throttle in an NA car. I happen to love the T28 and have put together quite a number of them, because really all they are is a hybrid of a t25 and a t3 together, it's a great combo. of course, the GT3071r is a dual ball bearing turbo, which does not really seem like that big of a deal, until you have had a chance to drive a car with the proper sized turbo and the ball bearing instead of journal style. He could drop the pressure (which I would recommend) with it and still have it be really efficient and fun.

Yes, you can. With the 15 psi I quoted, you would be in the neighborhood of 360 or a little higher, which is a rocket in that car to say the least. Lots a variables involved, but on a drag strip, you would be looking at an 11 second car, which is nothing to sneeze at.

That's nuts. I had a mid 11 second subaru before this car and I thought THAT was fast. An 11 second 510 would be so dirty. And like you said, all I need is right foot discipline and the power should be fairly controllable right?

That was fast.

Most things, other than some full nasty, explosive dragster are pretty controllable once you get a feel for how the car makes power. Kind of like a really hot ditbike, it may try to take your lunch money a few times at first, but once you learn how to treat it, it's easy going.

They are easier, it's a fine line to balance. Too big is crappy and too small is almost twitchy. For just a driver, I like stock or a little higher than stock compression, with an AR that is a little on the larger side. It makes a really fun car.