1982 720 4spd driveline swap from 1979 620 5spd

Jhargton

If this already has a thread, my apologies.  

I have 2 old/new datsun trucks.  1979 620 5spd and a 1982 720 4spd.  I drive the 720 which is ugly and beat up due to 20 yrs farm service.  but the interior of cab, wiring, ac, heat, lights, everything as if bought off show room 3 yrs ago. untouched.  I have added a 32/36 to the 2.2 napz, got frisky and busted the rearend.  I have now added the complete rearend from the 620, it bolted right in place as planned, But the 720 driveshaft is a little(1.5"-2.25"ish) to long.  This is with rearend unsupported.  Everything else is identical, such as flange bolt pattern and type.  

The 1979 has a 2pc drive shaft, 82 has a single.  

My questions are:

1.  If I keep the 4spd in the 720 and use the 620 rearend, is there a bolt up combo already out there? or do I need to go ahead and cut the drive shaft down and fit it?

2.  And Im thinking on adding the 5spd tranny from 620 as well, it'll bolt right in using the bell housing from the 2.2 due to the left and right offset differences in models correct?  I figure ill have to cut driveshaft for this.

an addon question off subject as well,  Can the 79 620 cab and body directly bolt onto the 82 720 frame?

I have a 720 4x4 single cab that i like to convert the 620 into.

Any info on this subject is appreciated

Thank you

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this already has a thread, my apologies.  

I have 2 old/new datsun trucks.  1979 620 5spd and a 1982 720 4spd.  I drive the 720 which is ugly and beat up due to 20 yrs farm service.  but the interior of cab, wiring, ac, heat, lights, everything as if bought off show room 3 yrs ago. untouched.  I have added a 32/36 to the 2.2 napz, got frisky and busted the rearend.  I have now added the complete rearend from the 620, it bolted right in place as planned, But the 720 driveshaft is a little(1.5"-2.25"ish) to long.  This is with rearend unsupported.  Everything else is identical, such as flange bolt pattern and type.  

The 1979 has a 2pc drive shaft, 82 has a single.  

My questions are:

1.  If I keep the 4spd in the 720 and use the 620 rearend, is there a bolt up combo already out there? or do I need to go ahead and cut the drive shaft down and fit it?

2.  And Im thinking on adding the 5spd tranny from 620 as well, it'll bolt right in using the bell housing from the 2.2 due to the left and right offset differences in models correct?  I figure ill have to cut driveshaft for this.

an addon question off subject as well,  Can the 79 620 cab and body directly bolt onto the 82 720 frame?

I have a 720 4x4 single cab that i like to convert the 620 into.

Any info on this subject is appreciated

Thank you

The 620 rear axle is also maybe an inch shorter in width on each side.

1/ I would just remove the third member from the 620 axle and swap it into your 720 axle. I don't see how it can be forward or out 2". Both the 720 and 620 used the H-190 differential.

2/ Yes the front case from the 720 4 speed will fit the 620 5 speed and convert it for use on the 720. In addition the 5 speed speedo pinion and the 620 differential are a matched set, so your speedometer will now be accurate. While the case is off it's a good idea to replace the counter bearing which is very easy to get at and do.

2a/ For best results the body swap works best if both are short wheelbase regular cab, King Cab or long wheelbase trucks. I have a '78 KC on an '82 long bed 720 frame. Both the KC and long beds are long wheelbase so this will work by moving a couple of bed mounts around. Nothing will work between a short and a long wheelbase truck.  

• 10 months later...