coil,tach,dizzy, I think i fried something

TENDRIL

L20b, matchbox dizzy, with Ei coil, factory tach

car turns over, wont start,

do not have spark from coil....

i think i messed up on wiring it back  together because when i turned the car to the on position after reconnecting everything there was a sparking/popping  sound coming from my tach and it was jumping around.

this is whats going on 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

the four wires i have been using (car would fire right up a week or so ago )

G/W - tach

B/W - tach (fatter)

B/L - ignition signal.  (i believe )

B/W - 12v with key on

IMG_0945.JPG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so the b/w wire on the left is coming from the tach. connected to the b/w wire on the left that is going to the +side of coil 

IMG_0951.JPGIMG_0948.JPG

the white wire is going to the c on the matchbox

=======================================================================

because its this b/w wire (which is my 12v) that is connected to the b/g from the coil i dont know how this happened. 

IMG_0949.JPG

========================================================================

so this blue wire with the green splice in it. i had going to the coil and dizzy.

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

===============================================================================================

i dont know WTF is going on i have been combing over dozens of threads and have wired every way i could find  for the tach and ei dizzy.

============================================================================================

so i started to test everything 

key on i have 12v to the POSITIVE  side of the coil, key off no power 

IMG_0954.JPG

============

as well as the NEGITIVE side and the inside  ??? is this right?

IMG_0953.JPGIMG_0959.JPG

=====================================================

check ignition  signal 

key "ON" .5 V

IMG_0955.JPG

key "start" turning it over 12V

IMG_0956.JPG

so that is functioning correctly, i believe 

======================================

i read to test the negative side of the coil, with a test  light while turning car  over, i did that, it did not flash it stayed solid  IMG_0957.JPG

=======================

FML 

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok first we need to know a few things. Like which tach do you have? 3 wire or 4 wire? Both were stock in 510s depending on year.

For now, to get your car started, or at least properly wired, we will by pass your tach.

Take the Black/Green wire completely out of the harness.

Take the Black/Blue wire (12V Start) and splice it in with the Black/White (12V IGN). Now connect the Black/White to the + side of coil.

Now also run Wire (supposed to be Black/White in color), from + side of Coil to B terminal on matchbox.

Run wire from Negative side of Coil to C terminal on matchbox.

Matchbox.jpg

• Like 1

sorry guys if i was a bit jumbled, i was dead tired last night when i posted this.

ok i will try that again and report back,

so what i need help understanding, is how the coil, actually sparks.

the way i thought was:

-----------------------------------------------

key on- 12v power to + side of coil

key start: signal to coil and B side of matchbox 

rotor in dizzy spins: elect. grounds - side of coil through C on matchbox

is this true?

Long as you have 12volt with key on the blk/wht wire

and 12volts on the blk blu on key START your fine and will get this running soon.

the blk grnn is supposed to be shorted the the blk/blu as its to complete the circuit to from the ballast to the coil.(will not be needed for you but just tape it off and keep wire stock)

I never ran a tach in 25years of Datsun ownership

I don't have points to put in .

I have 12v to blk and white with key on,

And 12v to blk and Blu with key start

And I've checked continuity to and from dizzy wires to ingnition no resistance so all connections in tact

All fuses brand new

Is the only way to check matchbox with points?

Mmk. How it works, + side of coil and B terminal of matchbox want 12V+ at both START and IGN key positions.

Mike, The tach does not necessarily run off the negative side. Stock wiring for the induction loop tachs actually show taking power from the Black/white wire, I.E. positive side.

With all wires still hooked up at coil and matchbox:

So if we know we have power at the coil and module (matchbox), we need to test if the module is working correctly. To do this, get a Test light. Not a Multimemter. Ground the test light, and then use the probe on the negative side of the coil. WIth IGN on you will probably see the test light shine. Have someone turn the key to start. With the motor cranking, you should see the test light blinking.

I have had thi problem before and the car would not want to start unless tach was working,

could it have something to do with signal and ground from harness behind tach?

Like said before the tach started to make a sizzle and pop sound while jumping around when I think I hooked up every thing the first time wrong ,

It did this when I turned key to on, I shut it off .switched what I thought was backwards. it did it again. And now hasn't done it again...

Im guessing here I heard they were 2 nissan 510 type tachs the series type and the parralell type.

the ones from the store(after market I assume its parrallel and tach trigger off the - side.

This is why I say get rid of it ,discconnect it to make sure your ignition is working correctly.

Tendril. just place center coil wire to ground ck for spark and not worry about it your test light flashes. On points I know it works good but never really seen anybody use a test light to ck for flashing on a matchbox

we assume the car was running before now you just added the tach.which induced this proplem

Tendril. just place center coil wire to ground ck for spark and not worry about it your test light flashes. On points I know it works good but never really seen anybody use a test light to ck for flashing on a matchbox

we assume the car was running before now you just added the tach.which induced this proplem

the tach and the EI dizzy has always been  in the goon since it came from troy ermish, and has worked for the last 4 years that i have had, and 3 before that when my buddy owned it.

the reason i took the wires off of the coil and dizzy in the first place was because i was trying to figure out why my horns were not working, and i was cleaning up my engine bay harness and re-wrapping it.

so as far as spark im not getting any with just the basic wiring for the EI dizzy  (tach un-attached)

blk/blu and blk/wht to + of coil than to B on matchbox and wire from - side of coil to C

checked with a test light no flash from - side of coil or C, just dimming from load

checked with multimeter for shits at the C and -side of coil 12v key on and barely drops to 10-11sh when turning motor over

held coil wire close to a ground turn over no spark not even a weak spark

is it safe to assume the matchbox is fried ?