What am I overlooking?

Hooligan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welllll...... double checked and the engine has spark. Valves are adjusted... then, well then.... did a compression test. Cylinder 1 - 192, Cylinder 2 - 155, Cylinder 3 -122, and Cylinder 4 - 145

The cylinders should be within 10% of each other or it will chug. Yes even 100 across all cylinders will run smooth but lack some power.

Could be carbon blocking the valves (some of them) open. My advise would to be getting it running first, romp on it a bit then recheck compression before pulling the motor. If your valves were extremely loose before adjusting them that would be a good indicator of something not allowing the valves to close all the way

• Like 1

If your valves were extremely loose before adjusting them that would be a good indicator of something not allowing the valves to close all the way?????

You mean valve lash too tight I think.

going by the readings it should run.

Its soemthing else. dont pull motor

what timming light say in the middle of the timming plate.???? if one has to crank the dizzy hard to gt it in time then that wherew your proplem is . reck the spindal or recenter your timming plate under the dizzy.So you have more adjustment when you center the timming plate on the front cover

• Like 1

If your valves were extremely loose before adjusting them that would be a good indicator of something not allowing the valves to close all the way?????

You mean valve lash too tight I think.

going by the readings it should run.

Its soemthing else. dont pull motor

what timming light say in the middle of the timming plate.???? if one has to crank the dizzy hard to gt it in time then that wherew your proplem is . reck the spindal or recenter your timming plate under the dizzy.So you have more adjustment when you center the timming plate on the front cover

By the valves being loose I meant excessive clearance between the valve and rocker due to the valve not closing all the way, too tight would be the rocker holding it open.